Total--29.39 miles
  • caskettfan
    caskettfan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    8-3 18.28 miles
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    What is a good goal for a beginner? The last time I rode I did a mile but felt like death afterwards....any suggestions would be greatful!!! I have a bad knee and my doctor said I should bike for cardio instead of running and that it would also help build muscle around me knee and strengthen it. I would really like to get into riding and building up my miles! I have a hybrid bicycle.

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Just a mile? Please don't mistake me for judging, I'd like to know more about what made you feel like death though after a mile! It would be great if you got into cycling because it is much better on the joints than any other form of cardio.

Last year when I got back on a bicycle after 30 years of not riding at all and carrying 60 lbs of extra weight, one mile was hard for me too! Now 10 miles feels good, but it took a while to get there.

Just keep adding a little distance each time you ride. You'll be surprised how quickly your endurance increases.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 12.57
    8/2 - 12.40
    8/3 - 12.11
    8/4 - 13.08 (AM)
    8/4 - 06.71 (PM)
    8/5 - 06.22 (AM)

MTD - 63.09
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    8/3 Rode 8.47 mi
    8/4 ran/walked 6.55 mi

Total so far: 37.82 mi
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    does a stationary bike aka exercise bike count as cycling i hope so:smile:

Of course!! All of my miles are stationary because that is all I have. Not to mention that I love it!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :angry: :grumble: :angry: :grumble: :angry: :grumble: :angry: :explode:

I got in about 5 miles this morning. I was hoping for more, but after refilling my tire 3 times, I realized it was time to walk home. The leak was faster than I could keep up with.

I'm left with the following observations:
    Flat tires STINK!
    I should really learn to patch my own tire on the road like a real rider!
    The foot that I hurt playing wii fit with the children didn't hurt at all while I was riding, but throbbed on the 2 mile walk home (and is throbbing still)!
    My padded, spandex shorts that make the ride less miserable make me self concious when out of the saddle.

exercise.png
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    This is a post that someone shared on our September 2012 thread:

"Please allow me to share my story... hopefully it will give you all motivation NOT to quit riding!

In July of 2011 our family walked into a local bike shop with the intention of getting 4 new bikes (we did this because our daughters had outgrown their bikes and decided to make it a family affair since for over 18 years, my husband and I "talked" about getting bikes). That day changed my life! I weighed about 250 lbs that day, sadly that was not my top weight. We started out riding as a family and quickly our teenage daughters lost interest. My husband and I continued to ride nearly every weekend weather permitting. I managed to lose about 18 lbs between then and December, just by riding on weekends. In December I joined a gym and picked up the pace. I continued to ride on the weekends when I could due to weather. When spring rolled around, we were back out on the trails nearly every weekend. By then I was down another 20 lbs or so. Then I had an ah-ha moment! I realized I needed to challenge myself... so with complete fear and a little bit of crazy, I challenged myself BIG TIME!!! I registered for a Century Ride! Using an on-line training guide, I have been building up to the 100 mile ride with yesterday's ride being 51.25 miles. We started out just over a year ago barely being able to finish a 6 mile ride and yesterday I rode 51.25 miles! The Century Ride is October 6th... so I have a long way to go, but every day I make a conscious decision to work towards my goal. And to sweeten the pot, I've also challenged myself to lose 13 more lbs by then... because then I will have lost 100 lbs. How amazing will it be to exchange 100 lbs or 100 miles??

Please don't give up on the riding, just do what you can do 4 miles or 100, it sure beats sitting on the couch! "

When I wrote to her and asked if I could share her story she said, "I went on to complete that ride and reach my 100lb goal, plus a little more. I rewarded myself this spring by getting a road bike (I completed that Century Ride on a cruiser style trail bike). I've since participated in 2 ADA Tour de Cure rides (32 and 56 miles) and I'm looking forward to riding in that same Century Ride this coming October."

I wanted to share her success with all of you because it seems like you have a lot of newcomers who are not sure if they're starting out right. Keep pushing those pedals, Everyone!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    8-3 18.28 miles

Hey! I'm a Caskett shipper too! :smile: :heart:
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    August goal = 100 miles.

8/1 - 0
    8/2 - 7.0 miles.
    8/3 - 7.2 miles.
    8/4 - 1.2 miles. I mowed today instead of riding.
    8/5 - 1.0 miles. I finished mowing today instead of riding. Neighbor a couple doors down got hit on his bike Friday (hit & run). He didn't even fall, but wound up with a compound fracture of his left elbow. Be careful out there people. AND WEAR A HELMET.

Goal = 100 miles.
    Accomplished MTD = 16.4 miles.
    Remaining miles = 83.6 miles.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    About 5-6 weeks ago, I started taking my bike to work and leaving the car behind. I pedal around 4.5 miles to the station to catch the commuter train which transports me about 20 miles to a station about 1/3 mile from the office (where they have a very nice secure shed with racks to hang your bike). The round trip (cycling part) comes to just under 10 miles each work day. Then I try to put in another 10-20 leisure miles on early morning ride(s) over the weekend.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hooray for the cycling challenge thread! I'm just getting back onto the bike (been mostly working out at the gym), so my mileage is still pretty low. But I want to re-start my cycling life by committing to do at least one 20 mile ride per week. It's been hot and rainy here, but I was able to get in a good ride this past weekend. Some of my miles will likely be inside on my ProForm Tour de France bike.

Week 1, August: 21 miles
    Week 2, August:
    Week 3, August:
    Week 4, August:
    Week 5, August:
  • cheeky0122
    cheeky0122 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    road 17.25 miles today and road with clipless pedals.. what a difference in riding :)
    I just started riding with my first pair of clipless peddles and I am soo happy to make the change!
  • cheeky0122
    Options
    :grumble: :angry: :grumble: :angry: :grumble: :angry: :grumble: :angry: :explode:

I got in about 5 miles this morning. I was hoping for more, but after refilling my tire 3 times, I realized it was time to walk home. The leak was faster than I could keep up with.

I'm left with the following observations:
    Flat tires STINK!
    I should really learn to patch my own tire on the road like a real rider!
    The foot that I hurt playing wii fit with the children didn't hurt at all while I was riding, but throbbed on the 2 mile walk home (and is throbbing still)!
    My padded, spandex shorts that make the ride less miserable make me self concious when out of the saddle.

exercise.png

I am sure you look awesome in your bike shorts! Seriously, they're so much more comfortable to ride in anyway..it's what all of the cool cyclists are doing :p
    They make stuff to seal up flats called Stan's No Tubes Sealant, all you have to do is grab a small bottle of it and keep it in your jersey pocket or saddle bag while riding.
  • cheeky0122
    Options
    8/1 - 7.5mi
    8/2 - 5.97mi (quick out and back to test out my new clipless shoes/peddles!)
    8/3 - 22mi
    8/4 - 9.76mi
    8/5 - 6mi
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 12.57
    8/2 - 12.40
    8/3 - 12.11
    8/4 - 13.08 (AM)
    8/4 - 06.71 (PM)
    8/5 - 23.10

MTD - 79.97
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    August goal 266 miles

8/1 -6.5 miles (30 mins)
    8/2 -14.5 miles (70 mins)
    8/4 -10 miles (46 mins)
    8/5 -11.5 miles (51 mins)

exercise.png
  • dhkpp
    dhkpp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Back into mountain biking this summer after 6 years of having my bike in storage. Loads of fun! Not me in this video, but these are the trails I have been riding. This weekend I finally made it up a tough steep technical climb without stopping or being hung up on the rocks, or having my lungs feel like they are being turned inside out- absolutely love it!! not sure how many miles I'm in per week , but usually ride for about 45-60minutes 3 time s a week on road bike or mountain bike
    Here's the vid! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/210030/