August Cycling Challenge 2013

Options

Replies

• Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I hope it's okay to post on this thread.
    I don't have a specific goal in mind for the month other than to just get out there and ride as often as possible. :smile:
    Perhaps next month, I'll have a better idea of what I'd like to shoot for.

I just received a brand new bike for my birthday and I'm loving it!

Tonight's ride after dinner - 11 km on paved trail
    Sunday I rode 11 km in the morning and in the afternoon I rode for an unspecified number of km's. We were out for almost 2 hours though.

My bum is just now getting used to the seat. Ouch. :tongue:
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Hit my 150 indoor and 25 outdoor last month and am going to go for 100 indoor and 40 outdoor this month!
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

exercise.png

24.25 miles total
    8/4 17.50
    8/5 7.25
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    1st Aug - 34.72 miles
    2nd Aug - 21.12 miles
    5th Aug - 34.61 miles
    6th Aug - 17.47 miles

Total: 107.92 miles
    Target: 200 miles (might need to revise target at this rate......)
    Remaining: 92.08 miles
  • caskettfan
    caskettfan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    August 5, 21.2 miles
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this. I love biking, but I rarely get to go out on a ride anymore with having 2 young kids in the evenings and hubby doesn't get home til 8pm, plus we are losing daylight now. So I'm resigned to my exercise bike...its....boring but mostly gets the job done. Maybe this thread will motivate me to get my butt on it :)
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just curious if some of the people here who cycle everyday/or most days could help me out. Is it normal to see a weight increase when upping rides/mileage? I used to do about 3-4 days a week and now I am doing 5-6 days. Other than aspect I have not changed anything and I have gone up 2lbs. Will it eventually go back down? Or should I be doing something different.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this. I love biking, but I rarely get to go out on a ride anymore with having 2 young kids in the evenings and hubby doesn't get home til 8pm, plus we are losing daylight now. So I'm resigned to my exercise bike...its....boring but mostly gets the job done. Maybe this thread will motivate me to get my butt on it :)

I hear ya! My children are just getting old enough that I trust to leave them home alone for a LITTLE while. It does really limit my rides, though, as I feel I need to be able to get home in a hurry if they need me. Last fall, I stopped riding altogether because I don't have an indoor bike. I hope that you are able to keep it up! We would love to have you along!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I hope it's okay to post on this thread.
    I don't have a specific goal in mind for the month other than to just get out there and ride as often as possible. :smile:
    Perhaps next month, I'll have a better idea of what I'd like to shoot for.

I just received a brand new bike for my birthday and I'm loving it!

Tonight's ride after dinner - 11 km on paved trail
    Sunday I rode 11 km in the morning and in the afternoon I rode for an unspecified number of km's. We were out for almost 2 hours though.

My bum is just now getting used to the seat. Ouch. :tongue:
    Of course it is okay! Welcome!!!!
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Goal for August is again 150 miles.

8/01--14 miles
    8/04--15.39
    8//06--17.33

Total--46.72 miles
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    74 miles in three days...Day one: 2470 ft elevation gain. Day 2: 3600 ft elevation gain. Day 3: 3250 elevation gained. I'm aiming for 75 miles per week for the month of August. :-) Let's get it!
  • duntov1966
    Options
    I am new here at MFP and just found this thread. I started riding again a couple years ago. This year I replaced my old Mountain bike (32lbs) with a real road bike (21lbs), clipless pedals, shoes etc... it is amazing how much further and faster a good road bike is. I still like the off-road single track on the MTB or ride around with the kids. But getting up speed on a nice smooth biking trail is a blast. Actually recorded a 15.2 mph average over 11 miles once, this was my best 10+ mile average.
    I passed the 500 mile mark total this year. I had not thought of setting monthly goals, it is a good idea. I'll start with a 100 mile goal.

8/1 - 10.6 miles (std Thursday night ride on the 'Greenway'.
    8/4 - 4.5 miles (was camping prior weekend - sore and tired)
    8/5 - 6.3 miles (warm up spinning muscles - hope for long ride on Tuesday)
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Of course it is okay! Welcome!!!!

Thank you!

Did another 11 km on the paved trail this morning. Usually when I begin exercising I bite off too much too soon so I'm just taking it easy with the mileage for August. Just to get my bum used to the seat is a challenge.
    I love cycling so much. It makes me feel like a kid again.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    8/5 Rode 13 Mi
    8/6 Ran/walked 6.36 mi

Total so far: 57.18 mi
  • duntov1966
    Options
    I fell over several times when I started with the clipless pedals... that can hurt and you feel and look silly tipping over so watch it.
    However they add greatly to riding and leg toning.
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    August goal 266 miles

8/1 -6.5 miles (30 mins)
    8/2 -14.5 miles (70 mins)
    8/4 -10 miles (46 mins)
    8/5 -11.5 miles (51 mins)
    8/6 -10 miles (45 mins)

exercise.png
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    1st Aug - 34.72 miles
    2nd Aug - 21.12 miles
    5th Aug - 34.61 miles
    6th Aug - 17.47 miles

Total: 107.92 miles
    Target: 200 miles (might need to revise target at this rate......)
    Remaining: 92.08 miles

Wow.
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    August goal = 100 miles.

8/1 - 0
    8/2 - 7.0 miles.
    8/3 - 7.2 miles.
    8/4 - 1.2 miles. I mowed today instead of riding.
    8/5 - 1.0 miles. I finished mowing today instead of riding. Neighbor a couple doors down got hit on his bike Friday (hit & run). He didn't even fall, but wound up with a compound fracture of his left elbow. Be careful out there people. AND WEAR A HELMET.
    8/6 - 5.4 miles outside on a rainy day. Found a farmer's dog dead on the side of the road. Sad.

Goal = 100 miles.
    Accomplished MTD = 21.8 miles.
    Remaining miles = 78.2 miles.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Was raining this AM so that cut me out of my work commute of about 18 miles. I squeezed in a 12 mile ride between jobs. I am going to start posting times & speeds on my log.

8/1 - 12.57
    8/2 - 12.40
    8/3 - 12.11
    8/4 - 13.08 (AM)
    8/4 - 06.71 (PM)
    8/5 - 23.10
    8/6 - 12.06 (42:52 @ 16.9mph)

MTD - 92.03

So listen I just got my bike a few months & 360 miles ago. I noticed my gears making noise. The bike shop said to expect a stretch. Apparently both the front & real derails are affected. The front doesn't want to shift well into the inner most gear and the rear doesn't want to shift into the inner most big gear. The bike has barrel adjusters but either way I adjust them doesn't quite clear up the chatter I am hearing. Should I be turning the barrels counter or clockwise?

I work 2 jobs and I hate to have to take it to the shop again for what I think should be an easy adjustment.
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike to work this morning for the first time this year. I arrived at work and was trying to get off my bike when somehow I toppled over, *kitten* over tea kettle, as my mother used to say. I looked like a psycho, lying there bleeding and laughing. Was pretty funny. :)

I don't think I'll join this challenge, but I'll read along for inspiration! :)