January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui Great finish! Congratulations! What a cool medal and swag!
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't update my log after my Friday ocean run! It was honestly one of the best runs of my life. I wanted to run and run and run and run. Training at altitude (on trails) then doing a flat long run at sea level seriously shaved about 30s per mile/min off my time. Was so so so so good. I think I was giddy about the ocean. I got to see surfers and the Coast Guard and silly people in California bundled up in parkas in 50 degree weather!

Sounds amazing! Glad you had such an awesome run!

@HonuNui - Congrats on your finish! Awesome swag too! Sorry about your hand and fall. Hope you're healing well.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Almost at goal. Totally wish i had set my goal in kilometers instead of miles. lol. But ima get it done cuz i refuse to fail the 1st month.
    exercise.png

Wow, you started running when exactly? Awesome job!!

Thanks. I started November of last year.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    1/8 - 2.22
    1/9 - 2.23
    1/13 - 2.21
    1/15 - 2.00
    1/22 - 2.22
    1/25 - 2.28
    1/27 - 2.30
    1/29 - 2.15 - 17.61

2018 year goal: 200 miles: 17.61 run, 182.39 to go!
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Link2Life I finished C25K back in August, then started the Bridge to 10K program. Once I was done that I did a 15K program to build my mileage, and now I've started HM training. I liked the B210K program quite a bit, personally.

Awesome! Thank you for your suggestion and congrats on your accomplishments!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.9miles
    1/2 5miles
    1/3 13.1miles!
    1/4 5miles
    1/5 8.4miles
    1/6 4miles
    1/7 rest
    1/8 6.67miles
    1/9 5miles
    1/10 6miles
    1/11 13.1miles!
    1/12 8.09miles
    1/13 4miles
    1/14 rest
    1/15 5.75miles
    1/16 6.15miles
    1/17 9.17miles
    1/18 5miles
    1/19 13.1miles!
    1/20 5miles
    1/21 rest
    1/22 6.42miles
    1/23 6.14miles
    1/24 7miles
    1/25 8.18miles
    1/26 5miles
    1/27 13.1miles!
    1/28 rest
    1/29 6.6miles

Interval Monday on the treadmill due to wet, rainy, windy, cold miserableness outside.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So... I may have just signed up for 3 races on the same day... umm.

Ambiguous grammar alert: If you mean that today you committed to run 3 races in the future, that's okay. If you mean that you committed to run 3 races on the same future date, that could be an issue.

Actually, both are true. I did register for multiple races, on the same day where the race occurs on different days and I also registered for three races that are all on the same day. :) So Ambiguous Grammar was perhaps a bit clearer than you think. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    OKAY So it is official. I have registered for the 50k Ultra that is six days after my PR attempt at the Pittsburgh Marathon. So I am guessing seven days after the Pittsburgh Marathon you will find me in ICU. :open_mouth:

yup. bonkers. no other word for it.

but hey, what's another 8 kilometres? Plenty of people do marathon a day challenges, why should YOU be anything special? ;)

So that is not the worst of it. I will finish the Marathon at least 90 mins, if not 2 hours ahead of my wife. I will then get a banana or three, some water, run back and find her on the course and finish with her. That is our tradition at every race... though 10 miler is the longest race I have done that for so far. Full marathon will be ummm interesting to attempt that. :)

@PastorVincent take longer to get that banana and you won't have to run as far with the Mrs.

Eh, cept I want to run with my wife so that would be counterproductive. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    OKAY So it is official. I have registered for the 50k Ultra that is six days after my PR attempt at the Pittsburgh Marathon. So I am guessing seven days after the Pittsburgh Marathon you will find me in ICU. :open_mouth:

Not to scare you (okay, deliberately to cause you concern), but I once ran a half marathon 6 days after Boston. It was a Big Mistake that required some noticeable couch time and physical therapy for recovery, even though I didn't think I was running the half very hard.

It's one thing if you're running the marathon at a pace you could sustain for an ultra. It's quite another thing if you're pushing hard for a PR in the marathon.

YMMV. Recovery times are variable among runners, and some recover much better than I do.

Another guy had run Boston in 3 hours and run Flower City half 6 days later in 2015, smoking me in the age group by 4 minutes at Flower City, which gave me the idea to run Boston then Flower City 6 days later in 2016. I found out I'm not that other guy. He was inducted into the GRTC Hall of Fame last Saturday; one of the factoids mentioned was that he has run 82 marathons in 15 years, and was sidelined by injury for the *first time* last year. Consensus opinion is that he's a natural runner and somewhat of a freak of nature.

After my first Marathon, I could not step up on to the curb after the race. The Race People were trying to get me into the medical tent, and I was on the verge of collapse. 36 or so hours later DOMS hit me hard enough that I was considering an ER trip (no one had warned me about DOMS). But by the following weekend, I was already rebuilding my running.

After my second Marathon, I was walking around fine. Tired, but climbed the steps to my truck in the parking garage and drove home. No DOMS at all. Forced myself to take a rest day that I did not feel I needed. By 3 days after the race, I was running my normal schedule.

Both years were run at the same pace (took longer the second time though cause I picked up over a mile extra in tangents).

Based on that I think I will be okay. But we will see! The Ultra has a 20 min/mile cut off, so I can walk large sections of it if I need to. If I have overcommitted, then the ultra will take an extra hour or something over what I could have done. I am committed to the PR attempt, and the ultra is more to see what that world is like.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,724 Member
    Options
    HonuNui – Ouch! But, I love the finisher’s shirt and medal – beautiful!

So close to my January goal. Working at home today so I got on the treadmill before work and then at lunch I went out to hit the hills for 3 miles.

Upcoming Races:
    February 3 – Strawberry Plains Half Marathon
    February 24-25 – Gasparilla Amber Challenge (15K & 5K on Saturday; Half Marathon on Sunday)
    May 6 – Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    exercise.png