January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    OKAY So it is official. I have registered for the 50k Ultra that is six days after my PR attempt at the Pittsburgh Marathon. So I am guessing seven days after the Pittsburgh Marathon you will find me in ICU. :open_mouth:

You are crazy... :# Good luck!
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Almost at goal. Totally wish i had set my goal in kilometers instead of miles. lol. But ima get it done cuz i refuse to fail the 1st month.
    exercise.png

Wow, you started running when exactly? Awesome job!!
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    So, I got curious about HM training today and stumbled across a 12-week schedule that starts with 2-mile easy runs and a 4-mile long run in Week 1 and would line up perfectly with a 5K and a 10K that I already had on my race list for this year. So now I'm wondering... Can I really do it? Could I really get myself HM ready so soon? Am I nuts? Ok, don't answer that last one, but... I do need a reality check. I just started running 5Ks nonstop last week. Can I really do this?

@HRKinchen

N=1:

It took me nearly 7 months to go from 5 km to a HM, and I was increasing pretty much per the 10% rule. (Though a true geek might be able to the maths better than me.)

I did it without injury.

I love your enthusiasm :heart: , but I recommend not setting all your hopes on completing the first HM plan you found today.

I'd recommend reading more about HM plans, and increasing mileage by just running a bit more each week, staying healthy, and achieving lots of milestones as you go, until you do a HM in as long as it takes. xo

Sometimes our goal-setting needs training too. :smile:

Thanks for the reality check. Duly noted.

I'll repeat weeks where needed, just as I did with C25K. There are no HMs in my area 12 weeks from now anyway, so I won't even have an option to test results in a race setting until September or later. So there's no rush and no real expectation, other than a little "blind faith" that if I keep at it, I'll get there eventually.

And in all fairness, while it was "the first HM plan I found," it was also the one I saw reiterated umpteen kajillion times and only settled on after I had traced it back to its origin: It's Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    OKAY So it is official. I have registered for the 50k Ultra that is six days after my PR attempt at the Pittsburgh Marathon. So I am guessing seven days after the Pittsburgh Marathon you will find me in ICU. :open_mouth:

yup. bonkers. no other word for it.

but hey, what's another 8 kilometres? Plenty of people do marathon a day challenges, why should YOU be anything special? ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

eh, don't sweat it. Ultras are very low key and most people are in it just to have fun on trail. The @JessicaMcB types are there too, but they will be so far ahead of you that you won't have to worry about thinking about trying to keep up. And if you're suffering at that little 50k, just remember what I did one month prior.... you're in good company
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, my book royalties came in, and I, of course, saved the money aside for a rainy day... and by rainy day I mean I just paid for

Shamrock Shuffle: 3 races, same day: Half Marathon, a 5k, and a mile race.
    Achilles: 2 races, same day, 10k and a 5k
    Glacier Ridge 50k - my first trail race and my first official ultra (although I did run 27.2 miles in my last marathon...)

Time to write more books I guess! :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... ugh, don't say that.... going long on a marathon doesn't count..... that's like the people who jog to their car after the race saying they ran an ultra...... Ultras start at 50k, unless you find a race that's like 45k.....
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,724 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - RIP favorite gloves! Good to hear you're still feeling mostly okay the day after and that your rehab is coming along.
    @sarahthes - my husband wanted to know, does your son have a brother or was the black magic marker self-inflicted as well? Brilliant picture, glad to hear your carpet and sanity survived the experience.

My stupid heel is still badly blistered but I'm much happier since I have a hydrocolloidal bandage on it. So of course I put my knee out, trying to get a good look at the back of my heel! But I put my brace on and ran anyway and it seems no worse for wear.

Easy 5k, and the good news is that our easy 5k, including hills, stops for traffic, and dodging small children with new bicycles, is now only 32 minutes, only about thirty seconds off from our PR. And instead of feeling wiped afterwards we fartleked around the boardwalk - which is a fancy way of saying one of us would just sprint off at random and we would race each other until either my husband pulled ahead and and won or he ran out of sprint stamina and I caught back up and I won. He can totally run me into the ground as far as speed, but I have a lot more staying power.

It was just absolutely gorgeous weather today, tons of people on the trails. We met ALL THE DOGGIES there were so many doggies at the park!

Jan 28: 5k plus about a half mile fartlek

exercise.png
    You guys are going to totally rock your next 5K race!!!

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = rest day
    1/3 = 7.5 miles
    1/4 = vinyasa yoga class
    1/5 = 7.5 miles
    1/6 = 13 miles - River Road Half Marathon
    1/7 = 6 miles
    1/8 = strength training at the gym
    1/9 = early PT appt for my foot/ankle
    1/10 = 8 miles
    1/11 = 6 miles
    1/12 = 9 miles
    1/13 = rest day
    1/14 = 14 miles (run/walk intervals with group)
    1/15 = 5 miles & foot PT appt.
    1/16 = rest day
    1/17 = 6 miles dreadmill & 30 minutes strength training
    1/18 = 4 miles
    1/19 = 14 miles (run/walk intervals)
    1/20 = gimpy foot rest day
    1/21 = 8 miles (run/walk intervals)
    1/22 = 6 miles and short strength training session
    1/23 = rest day
    1/24 = 9 miles
    1/25 = 3 miles
    1/26 = 12 miles
    1/27 = rest day
    1/28 = 12 miles (run / walk intervals with the group)
    1/29 = 3 miles and 40 minutes strength training

How does anyone keep up with this thread? So far behind in two days....

January Goal = 140 miles / total miles = 159
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So, my book royalties came in, and I, of course, saved the money aside for a rainy day... and by rainy day I mean I just paid for

Shamrock Shuffle: 3 races, same day: Half Marathon, a 5k, and a mile race.
    Achilles: 2 races, same day, 10k and a 5k
    Glacier Ridge 50k - my first trail race and my first official ultra (although I did run 27.2 miles in my last marathon...)

Time to write more books I guess! :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... ugh, don't say that.... going long on a marathon doesn't count..... that's like the people who jog to their car after the race saying they ran an ultra...... Ultras start at 50k, unless you find a race that's like 45k.....

Figured you would get a kick out of that. :smiley:

But, really I will be likely going farther than 50k on the day of the Marathon, as I mentioned up thread:
    I will finish the Marathon at least 90 mins, if not 2 hours ahead of my wife. I will then get a banana or three, some water, run back and find her on the course and finish with her. That is our tradition at every race... though 10 miler is the longest race I have done that for so far. Full marathon will be ummm interesting to attempt that. :)

I plan to stop the Gramin when I finish the race and start a new "run" when I start heading back for her, just to see how bad it is. It will be at least full hour back to find her, then double that to return, so not exactly a "jog back to the car" for sure. :wink:

Still, I will count the 50k as my first ultra since it is official an all that. Just like I am not counting any of the numerous 1/2 marathons I have run in training as a HM. Once I run my first official HM race (Shamrock Shuffle) then I will have an actual 13 mile time.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options

I argue - we have a little Challenge in my Home town, the kicker is it does every Hill - Trail that comes out of the Bottom of the River Valley - self supported. Total was 36.8 km and 1100m of elevation. Which for some is no big deal, but when you are at the start in the bottom of the valley and look up to see all the peaks it can be intimidating. I just about prefer being in trees where you don't know where the top is.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso sorry about your race :( Perhaps you should take it easy for a few days...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso - That sounds dreadful. Get yourself some rest and feel better soon!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso That really sucks :(. Sorry you were under the weather and hope you are feeling better now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Aren't you in Texas? I know the cedar pollen is insane right now. I caught a news blurb Thursday when I was in Dallas on it.

Take care. Sorry about the race.