January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Meanwhile, it was 30 Celsius / 86 F at parkrun this morning. :open_mouth::smile:

I aimed to do the 5 km in 29 minutes, and I did it in 29:09.

Pretty happy I managed that time, and pretty happy I could predict how I'd go, considering I haven't run in such heat for 2 years since I was a newbie runner.
    @Orphia - I don't know how you managed to race in that heat! I just don't do well in the heat and can't imagine running fast let alone racing in that temp. Great job!!

Thanks, @shanaber I hear you! It was a surprise I could do it. I always run early mornings, so I don't train in this heat.

I was a bit dizzy after, till I had water and walked around a bit. That used to happen a lot but not for ages.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    January 1 — 4.15 miles
    January 3 — 4.25 miles
    January 5 — 4.12 miles

January total — 12.52/75 miles

My Garmin didn’t die today! -2F and 12 mph winds but kept it tucked in my pocket so all good (though my phone in the same pocket did die) Finally Strava registers a run.

I think I might switch my long run from Sunday to Tuesday because temps will be 10 degrees warmer and winds 10 mph less.

When it was failing on you, how were you wearing it?

The big problem for electronics, in general, is the batteries stop delivering enough power when they get cold but a Garmin sitting next to your skin should not get that cold that easily. If it does, you probably getting a very serious case of frostbite. :smiley: I think I read the operating temp of a Garmin watch was down to -4F - if your skin is at that temp, that is bad :)

I know I have run with mine on my arm at below 0 more than once, and others on this thread have also. So wonder what you are doing differently? Maybe yours is defective?
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Nothing sucks more than writing a reply only to close down the app losing everything you’ve just spent time writing.
    exercise.png
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent I usually wear it on the outside of my coat sleeve for easy access. I guess I just won’t be able to do that when it’s this cold.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Love the 'functional Training with Stella' :) You might also try some mind games with her... when the fires and winds were so bad we did hide and seek in the house. Hobbes would have to stay in his bed and I would hide a few treats and then he would be off hunting for them... we started small (in one room) but as it got easy I expanded to other locations around the house. You can check out these sites for more ideas too:
    https://positively.com/contributors/10-simple-and-fun-indoor-games-for-your-dog/

https://www.puppyleaks.com/easy-ways-to-keep-your-dog-busy-indoors/

https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/7-rainy-day-games-to-play-with-your-dog

Back a few pages now, but thanks @shanaber for posting these. I think I'm going to try to work on some basic clicker skills and/or treat finding with my Stella today as it is horrible outside. She just went outside for the first time a little bit ago after giving it a big "nope" earlier.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had to drop my little guy off at daycare this morning. That means I didn't get my run in this morning. My students are wondering why I am cranky today. I will be running at around 2030 this evening.... My wife will wonder why I am tired... I will be getting my 2:30:00 long run in at 0730 tomorrow morning... My little man will wonder why daddy is tired....

I can totally relate. And you're right: it's good mental training. :smile:
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Short TM run this morning, with another planned for later today. Going to make up some miles from my unplanned "rest" day earlier this week. I got lax over the holidays, so I'm making up some ground on pacing and endurance. (What a difference a few weeks can make!) I feel pretty good about where I am, headed into my first 5K of the year later this month. We'll see.

MTD: 7.05/45
    1/2 - 3.0
    1/3 - 1.25
    1/5 - 1.3
    1/6 - 1.5

Goals for 2018:
    - Run 500 miles
    - Run a nonstop (no walking) 5K
    - Run/walk my first 10K
    - Run 3+ trail races
    - Run in 3+ states

Races to Consider:
    1/27 - Mississippi Blues Marathon 5K (Registered)
    2/18 - Q50 Trails Extravaganza 5M (Registered)
    3/17 - Hammond Shamrock Run 5K (First race I ever ran, in 2017)
    3/18 - Shamrockin Run 8K in NOLA
    4/20 - Star Wars Dark Side 5K in WDW (Registered)
    5/12 - Q50 Cinco de Mayo Trail Race 5K (First trail race I ever ran, in 2017)
    6/21 - Summer Solstice 6.21M

• jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Goal for January is 30 miles.
    1/2 - 1
    1/3 - 2.5
    1/4 - 0
    1/5 - .25
    1/6 - 2.79
    Total: 6.54
  • kat_ontherun
    kat_ontherun Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just got my ticker created! The only problem is whenever I add the mileage it doesn't update on the image. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I've only gone on two runs this week since recovering from the dreaded holiday junk food slide. No races planned yet, but hopefully I will get a few 5k's in before summer and gradually build up!

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I usually wear it on the outside of my coat sleeve for easy access. I guess I just won’t be able to do that when it’s this cold.

Yeah, that is probably the problem. Hopefully, it is not this cold for long/often!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,987 Member
    Options
    I just got my ticker created! The only problem is whenever I add the mileage it doesn't update on the image. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I've only gone on two runs this week since recovering from the dreaded holiday junk food slide. No races planned yet, but hopefully I will get a few 5k's in before summer and gradually build up!

exercise.png

Sometimes it takes a while for it to show up correctly, but eventually it will.
  • kat_ontherun
    kat_ontherun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Thank you!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The Running Room on-line magazine had a very small but interesting piece on pg 28/29 about shoes rotation reducing injury rates. Unfortunately they did not post the source of the study - just that it was based in Luxembourg. 3.6 pairs of shoes in rotation is the minimum magic number from the study.
    You might have to copy and paste the link into your browser of choice
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/2663cae8#/2663cae8/28

Woke up with a monster headache - worked until 2am so an exhaustion/dehydration induced headache. Footfalls feel like nails been driven into the right side of my head. May get out this afternoon after some more shut eye and hydration, I have to get out it's +1.4C = 35F a heatwave.
    The little quote/post from @shanaber above is all the motivation I need.