January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent you know the theory on negative splits? I couldn't do it but its logic is unquestionable. Most record marathons are run with negative splits. My father ran his best marathon with a much better pace on the last 10 km then the previous 20 miles.

Yep! I do! But since I have such poor pace control, it is not an option for me :lol:

Try setting pace alarms on your watch? Something like 9:10 for too slow, and 8:45 for too fast...have it vibrate and it should help (theoretically).

I have successfully done that for a 5k, but not sure about an entire marathon. I know some of y'all are like human metronomes - but for me keeping a steady beat (or pace) is very hard to nigh impossible. Hoping muscle memory can take that job :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 & @garygse Sorry you are getting hit with Canadian Like weather. At least you know that it will melt away in a few days.
    So now to BRAG about one of the local Ladies who has a little bit of Triathlon skill She is all of 4ft 10 but just a dynamo. Pretty much a perma smile on her face. Yes that is an AG Podium Finish in Geneva. Needless to say when she comes out for a club run I only get to see her at the start and coffee shop after.

11 km along the Riverbank Trails. -6C so a heat wave for us. I actually prefer it at -15C as the trails stay dry/solid. At this temp the snow starts to melt in places giving super slippery places. My legs feel like I just completed a HM, very heavy-tired Quads. The price I pay for getting side tracked in November/December.
    exercise.png
    01/01 0.0 km – 0.0km –140.0 km – YTD 0 km
    01/02 9.37 km –9.37km –130.63 km – YTD 9.37 km
    01/04 11.0 km –20.37km –119.63 km – YTD 20.37 km - River Bank Evening Trail Run
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - love the hat collection! I love hats and sweaters just have no place or need really to wear them.
  • SamBis13
    SamBis13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    4/01 - 5km TM Walk
    5.19/60km
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Ultimately I would love to be able to set <pace> during first mile and hold it the whole race, but be too tired to run 2 more steps beyond the finish line. But that is not going to happen :smirk:
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent wether you pace each mile or not, the basic philosophy is to be conservative during the first 13-20 miles and try to avoid the mentality that your banking minutes for slowing down at the end.(I fully understand if you can't do that because neither can I.)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent wether you pace each mile or not, the basic philosophy is to be conservative during the first 13-20 miles and try to avoid the mentality that your banking minutes for slowing down at the end.(I fully understand if you can't do that because neither can I.)

You forget, I told you about it negative splits yo a while back, and linked the articles. :smiley: Sometime before your marathon, as I recall. Its buried in the threads here somewhere :)
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent if you need a human metronome for a running partner let me know cause apparently I have that ability. I don't go very fast but I have done a 17 mile run at a 9:30 pace +/- 5 secs without anything more than glancing at my watch ever so often. I had longer runs coming up but then I broke :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @PastorVincent if you need a human metronome for a running partner let me know cause apparently I have that ability. I don't go very fast but I have done a 17 mile run at a 9:30 pace +/- 5 secs without anything more than glancing at my watch ever so often. I had longer runs coming up but then I broke :smiley:

Thanks, I need to hit a pace of 8:50 to make my goal. If I can hold that for 26.2 ish miles I will nail my target. Also, are you anywhere near me? :smiley:
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I remeber, and while I wished I had and wanted to take the advice I had one small deficit of knowledge
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Yeah, this is about right… (src: http://invisiblebread.com )

904zwcbpv5nz.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I remeber, and while I wished I had and wanted to take the advice I had one small deficit of knowledge

Its okay, I often ignore my adivce too :lol: When I hit Pittsburg in May, I plan to start at my target pace and if I have anything in the tank in the last few miles pick it up, else hold what I got. Around mile 13 or so is a very bad hill that I will loose a large chunk of time on, and it will be very tempting to sprint a bit after it to make up time. I need ot NOT do that. :smiley:
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent while I'm pretty sure I could hold a 9 min/mile there is no way I'm going anywhere near that cold region of the country that you call home, I'll stick with my 70 degree "winter" bit if you are ever in the area we can go for a run
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @PastorVincent while I'm pretty sure I could hold a 9 min/mile there is no way I'm going anywhere near that cold region of the country that you call home, I'll stick with my 70 degree "winter" bit if you are ever in the area we can go for a run

I lived in Vegas for a while, so I know what 70-degree winter means for JULY :smiley: