January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Somehow I suspect that my Winter Warrior hats wouldn't be popular swag for a race in Alabama. You don't get weather cold enough to need them. But if you want to try, and if your local Fleet Feet needs more detail than shows up in the picture, tell them to contact Ellen at Fleet Feet in Rochester, NY about the hats they give out with the Winter Warrior Half.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - Somehow I suspect that my Winter Warrior hats wouldn't be popular swag for a race in Alabama. You don't get weather cold enough to need them. But if you want to try, and if your local Fleet Feet needs more detail than shows up in the picture, tell them to contact Ellen at Fleet Feet in Rochester, NY about the hats they give out with the Winter Warrior Half.

@MobyCarp thanks for the info. There are so many winter races that went from short sleeve to long sleeve tech shirts to sweat shirts the hat is the next logical step
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today - Miles for January

1/1 REST DAY <<< traveling back from FL
    1/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 6.5 miles - 12.7
    1/5 5 miles - 17.7

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

First run with my new FR935. So much more data to take in.
    I thought I did an easy run and it says TE (training effect) aerobic was 5.0 and TE anaerobic was 2.0.
    This means I was "overreaching" definitely for an easy run. However, it does say it needs a few runs to be accurate and that my max HR and HR zones need to be correct. So now I have to get smart on all of this HR training that I have been ignoring all this time.

@Stoshew71 you need to take the garmin class on the 11th at Fleet feet.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I highly doubt you were overreaching on an Easy run. My moderate runs mostly get to a 4 and even harder runs rarely get me to a 5 for training effect. Check your zones, as they are probably really generic and not related to your true HR zones. Mine are all based off of my best estimate LTHR of 175 and percentages of that.

Yeah, I figured that my HR zones are all wrong. Totally generic and not customized at all. I even believe that doing a 220 - my age would make my max HR way off. I bumped an existing thread in the discussion area in our group. Asking everyone who has HR training experience to participate (or monitor if you're more interested).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10607880/hr-tracking-training-101

Appreciate the response @MNLittleFinn.

Also you need a good solid set of runs and rest time with the watch before it really settles down. I would say wearing it for a solid 2 weeks at least.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Jan 1: rest day
    Jan 2: strength training
    Jan 3: 5k
    Jan 4: bike and bodyweight strength (supposed to be a gym day but unexpected work meeting)
    Jan 5: 4 mile easy trail run

We ran our usual 4 mile run through the Wolf river bottom backwards. Funny how you never notice when a grade is slightly downhill, but when you run it in reverse you sure notice it's uphill!

It was a little warmer today, about 28 when we started and the temp was well above freezing when we finished. Nevertheless there was ice on the lakes and wetland areas, and we passed several teenagers testing how far out they could go on the ice. One older lady was giving a young man - a stranger to her - a severe talking to when we passed - "THINK before you do something. Am I supposed to save you if you fall through the ice? Because I can't, I just can't save you even if I wanted to, I'm not able." My husband stopped and said, "I'd save you, but I'd give you a good punch in the face afterwards for making me get wet in this weather!" The water there is well above head level, I don't think the kids mostly realize how deep it is in places, and the ice is not all that thick. Anyway the kid was looking pretty crestfallen by the time the lady finished with him. But later we passed two more teenage boys with hockey sticks and no sense. The ice was thawing and kept letting off cracks that sounded like shotgun blasts all over the woods.

Run felt a little better than last time - I'm pretty sure I was coming down with something before, my blood sugar was highish all day and everything felt harder than it should have. Hopefully I've shaken whatever it was off.

exercise.png
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another no run for me, decided last minute to get my hair done instead. It's also -24°C and closer to -40° with the windchill so no way was I going outside if I didn't have to.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @rheddmobile I think for most people common sense doesn't start until at least 25...note I said most, for some it never comes. I grew up on a lake in NJ and I can remember us skating and making sure we stayed away from the water...hello if there is water WTH were we doing skating on it. When we knew the lake was way frozen we would drive our cars across it. Like I said ZERO common sense! Fortunately the only time I went through it was only about hip height. Glad no one had to get wet saving the teenagers today.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Goal for January is 30 miles.
    1/2 - 1
    1/3 - 2.5
    1/4 - 0
    1/5 - .25
    Total: 3.75

Well I am definitely not running because of my back right now so I am counting my walking. My back is feeling better but not ready for a run. I am hoping to walk for an hour tomorrow.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    I had a 4 mile easy run planned for today but my body is really really sore from pushing myself with the intervals yesterday followed by the heavy lifts in training. So I hurt from my shoulders to my ankles... I put off going out mainly because of work but I also thought I might feel better, but no it did not help. I was dressed and made myself go for at least a little walk with Hobbes the Vizsla. I did run, very slowly even for me, as much as I could. I thought it would help but now I feel just as stiff as before and maybe even more so. Depending on how I feel in the morning I may do errands early and get a long run in later in the afternoon. If I feel like this it will become another walk/run because Sunday is a travel day for work.

Has anyone had issues with Strava not getting distances correct. I was out for almost an hour (Strava said 36 mins) and it was over a mile less than my watch distance and my watch is typically a bit lower than MMR. I did notice at one point it looked like it skipped but not enough to account for the distance mismatch.

@7lenny7 - thanks! Hobbes was being such a goof that day!
    @PastorVincent and @Azercord - there are metronome apps you can get on your phone for when you run. My orthopedic doc recommended it (along with CHI Running) but I honestly found the metronome annoying.
    @rheddmobile and @skippygirlsmom - I honestly don't think (most) teenagers think things through. They certainly don't consider that anything bad could ever happen to them or about the consequences of their actions. What worries me as much, maybe more, are young parents who are clueless about what their children are doing or the danger they are putting their child into by not thinking over what might happen - sure go climb on that slippery rock hanging off a cliff 20 feet up over the ocean... I actually saw parents who did nothing when their child of about 3 did this and someone else had to grab him before he fell.
    @zdyb23456 - so what happened when the treadmill hit 99:59? Also nice sewing project! Next you will be sewing up a new wardrobe or maybe some running/workout clothes?
    @Stoshew71 - thanks for the link to the HR zone discussion. I have always had a difficult time figuring mine out because my HR is so low. I have used the calculations but they never seem right.

Date........Miles.......Total
    01/01......6.64........6.64
    01/02......4.23......10.87 - +Strength Training
    01/03......0.00......10.87
    01/04......4.50......15.37 - Intervals +Strength Training
    01/05......3.57......18.94

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon

02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    11 km along the Riverbank Trails. -6C so a heat wave for us. I actually prefer it at -15C as the trails stay dry/solid.

@juliet3455

It's actually warmer than that in Antarctica at the moment.

http://www.bom.gov.au/ant/observations/antall.shtml

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Meanwhile, it was 30 Celsius / 86 F at parkrun this morning. :open_mouth::smile:

I aimed to do the 5 km in 29 minutes, and I did it in 29:09.

Pretty happy I managed that time, and pretty happy I could predict how I'd go, considering I haven't run in such heat for 2 years since I was a newbie runner.
    @Orphia - I don't know how you managed to race in that heat! I just don't do well in the heat and can't imagine running fast let alone racing in that temp. Great job!!