January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Follow up question for early morning runners: What and when do you eat after your runs, if anything? How long after your run do you eat? Experiences related to this helpful...

Over 5 miles, mostly, is when I get a snack after my run. I have two apple caramel rice cakes with PB2 (under 150 cals). I usually have it within 30 minutes after my run, unless I am just really cold and want a hot shower first. I run fasted every day and then I do not eat again until dinner most of the time.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 4 treadmill miles on a way too cold day.
    1/2 - Two flat tires doomed my chances of getting to the Y / gym.
    1/3 - 4 more 'mill miles.
    1/4 - 5.1 treadmill miles at Trek Class, then upper body weights.
    1/5 - Unplanned rest day.
    1/6 - 4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    1/7 - Another 4 on the 'mill. Finally could have run outside, but my son asks me to take him to the gym :neutral:
    1/8 - Nothing yet, but planning an odd (for me) evening run.

exercise.png
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    Follow up question for early morning runners: What and when do you eat after your runs, if anything? How long after your run do you eat? Experiences related to this helpful...

Over 5 miles, mostly, is when I get a snack after my run. I have two apple caramel rice cakes with PB2 (under 150 cals). I usually have it within 30 minutes after my run, unless I am just really cold and want a hot shower first. I run fasted every day and then I do not eat again until dinner most of the time.

This is most helpful! Thank you! I always snack after my long run, usually between 6-8 miles and usually a bar of some sort. And I have breakfast before my long runs, usually cereal and a banana. I've never worried too much before/after my shorter runs, but I think Internet woo is getting the best of me when it comes to fueling the shorter stuff.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom - FWIW, I run fasted pretty much always. If running later in the day, I make sure to not have eaten for 2-3 hours. Even for HM races. I then have water at the end and breakfast / snack ASAP after. If I run with anything in my stomach, it can make me feel awful.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Finally read the blog post! Good read.

Speaking of blogs... I started mine up again. I kinda rambled about my goals today. If anyone is interested: http://runsonespresso.com/2018/01/08/goals-2018/
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I don't ever do long runs without breakfast, cereals and a smoothie, usually. Short runs I'm okay without food, but I still prefer drinking a glass of juice and maybe eating a cookie (so just a faster, less healthy version of my usual breakfast ^^).

After running - depends. Short runs during the week nothing speacial, but after a long run I always try to "refuel" quickly. This Sunday for example I made myself a smoothie right after coming home, this time 200ml carrot juice, 60g frozen blueberries, 75g Skyr (that's 150kcal, 21g carbs, 9g protein). Just as a start, then I prepared some pizza (ready-made dough, I admit, with tomato passata, jalapenos, mozzarella and a bit of marmite). While it was in the oven, I had time for shower and stretching, and then I ate my hard-earned pizza :tongue: (518kcal, 65g carbs, 19g fat, 22g protein).

So I actually ended up closer to a 3:1 carb:protein ratio. But I read that 4:1 is better for men and 3:1 better for women (here: https://www.outsideonline.com/1784951/are-hydration-rules-different-women ), so that's actually fine for me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    01/01/2018 - 3.0 miles @ 9:15
    01/02/2018 - 6.5 MPH and 4% Grade for 1 hour
    01/03/2018 - 6.5 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/04/2018 - 6.7 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/05/2018 - 6.8 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/06/2018 - Rest
    01/07/2018 - Rest - Family Time
    01/07/2018 - 7.0 MPH for 7 miles at 4% grade

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

7mph for an hour, uphill! I did it by setting a fan behind me so that I would have a tailwind! :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Finally read the blog post! Good read.

Speaking of blogs... I started mine up again. I kinda rambled about my goals today. If anyone is interested: http://runsonespresso.com/2018/01/08/goals-2018/

Great post! I'm actually working on a similar post.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom Here is my TOP SECRET RECIPE for my after run drink.

6 oz of cold brewed coffee concentrate
    19gram of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup
    6 oz of cold whole milk
    2 oz of filtered water

Boom. 120 calories, 20g carbs, 6g fat and 6g protein.

Right around that 3:1 number. :smiley:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options

6 oz of cold whole milk
    2 oz of filtered water

Lol - I used to make myself hot chocolate (the real thing! from whole milk and molten chunks of dark chocolate - none of that sugary powder stuff) after running last winter. Then I started to do carrot juice/frozen berries/skyr in summer and congratulated myself on being so much healthier and getting all those vitamins. And now you go and post that recipe - sooo tempting!! Now I'll spend all evening thinking about hot chocolate with a shot of espresso... :grin:
  • PastorVincent
    Options

6 oz of cold whole milk
    2 oz of filtered water

Lol - I used to make myself hot chocolate (the real thing! from whole milk and molten chunks of dark chocolate - none of that sugary powder stuff) after running last winter. Then I started to do carrot juice/frozen berries/skyr in summer and congratulated myself on being so much healthier and getting all those vitamins. And now you go and post that recipe - sooo tempting!! Now I'll spend all evening thinking about hot chocolate with a shot of espresso... :grin:

When I was a teen and worked the midnight shift at a gas station, we used coffee instead of water when making hot cocoa. Poor man's mocha we called it.
  • ddmm2013
    ddmm2013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/18 :::: 4.5 :::: 4.5
    01/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 4.5
    01/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 7.0
    01/04/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 10.0
    01/05/18 :::: 7.2 :::: 17.2
    01/06/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/07/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/08/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 20.2

The weekend - well, I pretty much hibernated and hid from the cold all day Saturday and well into Sunday. I did go on a nice snowshoe hike with Stella on Sunday when the temps climbed up to (almost) double digits finally. I planned to go and hit the treadmill but it never happened. Today I did an extra long walk with Stella in the morning and almost repeated the same thing, but forced myself to get out of the house and get those 3 miles on the treadmill. Key West HM in 6 days!

Regarding food - I always eat before I run in the morning, but I'm not one of those super early morning runners usually. When I go out early for my long runs on Saturdays though I always eat first. Pretty much every day I have Siggi's vanilla skyr, Kind peanut butter protein granola, and a banana.

Speaking of fueling - has anyone used Run Gum? Any good/bad feedback on that?
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

6 oz of cold whole milk
    2 oz of filtered water

When I was a teen and worked the midnight shift at a gas station, we used coffee instead of water when making hot cocoa. Poor man's mocha we called it.

That IS a Tim Horton’s mocha! Half coffee, half hot chocolate, plus whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.9miles
    1/2 5miles
    1/3 13.1miles!
    1/4 5miles
    1/5 8.4miles
    1/6 4miles
    1/7 rest
    1/8 6.67miles

Did intervals on the treadmill at the gym today for a change of scenery. I started with a half mile warm up and about .3 miles in the treadmill stopped abruptly! I started over and it did it again! So I moved to the next treadmill and went right into my intervals.

It was so weird cause a girl after me ran just fine on it, but then the next girl after her the same thing happened to her! So I wasn’t crazy, I don’t think...

I’m 150 posts behind! Gotta catch up!

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I run everything but races and the very rare night run fasted. Off my morning running I don't eat for 6-9 hours afterward because I'm too busy with my kids.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

6 oz of cold whole milk
    2 oz of filtered water

Great info. Now to get it to 4:1 like my nutritionist wants. She wants me getting 60g Carbs and 15g protein. I bet I can tinker with your recipe to get close to that.