January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB What is the running nutritional darkside?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Starting in September (probably) I'm going to transition to a High Fat Low Carb diet.... kind of a big debate on that issue in the long distance community. I would have done it sooner, but my coach said to hold off until after the racing season, and he's a HFLC athlete so he knows how switching effects training.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I just got my ticker created! The only problem is whenever I add the mileage it doesn't update on the image. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I think it most likely shows up correctly for the rest of us, because when I have the issue (which is pretty much every time I add miles) I usually clear my browser cache and then it shows correctly for me.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,099 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    01/01 4.06 miles
    03/01 3.80 miles Phew that was one stormy run!
    05/01 3.61 miles - ate too close to running a bit sluggish
    06/01 3.64 miles - lovely crisp evening for running, I don't know if it's the new moon or the evenings starting to stretch.

exercise.png

@kat_ontherun - Try pressing Ctrl + F5 after you post and it should update for you. Someone suggested it way back and it always works for me.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic -- hey, just wanted to shout out with an update with my experience using the RunGo app. I have used it to "record" routes and saved them to run again at a later date with the voice directions. In the more open space of my suburb it does pretty well... when I run downtown in the city where GPS is not always the best, it registered several "turns" during my straightaways. I also created some routes using their create tool on the website and that worked better, but either it missed a turn or I didn't hear it as I was concentrating on traffic, etc., but near the end of my run it said I was off-course. I did the same this morning in the suburb and it worked perfectly. It will give you about 100m notice of a turn and actually uses street names, etc. so is definitely something I will use when I'm in an unfamiliar area or if I want to map a run out beforehand to have a better chance of hitting the planned mileage and not be a mile away from where I meant to finish.

@GrayduckMN -- love the username... former Minnesotan myself. :smile:
  • kat_ontherun
    kat_ontherun Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    exercise.png

Yay! It finally works. Hoping to go on a long run today to up that mileage! :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Starting in September (probably) I'm going to transition to a High Fat Low Carb diet.... kind of a big debate on that issue in the long distance community. I would have done it sooner, but my coach said to hold off until after the racing season, and he's a HFLC athlete so he knows how switching effects training.

Please report back your results. Be interested to hear.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    1/6 Run 13.16 miles
    Started about 13*F and ended around 20*F...HEAT WAVE!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I'll blog on it.

Speaking of blogging. Since I'm (relatively) new to trail running and technically an "ultramarathoner" is there anything this group would be interested in me blogging about? I've mainly been writing up training logs but I figure it would be a good way to share what I learn, but I don't know what people are interested in. So if there are any topics folks want to know about, I can blog it and then just share when things are up, as my blog address is always posted when I post my daily updates.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I'll blog on it.

Speaking of blogging. Since I'm (relatively) new to trail running and technically an "ultramarathoner" is there anything this group would be interested in me blogging about? I've mainly been writing up training logs but I figure it would be a good way to share what I learn, but I don't know what people are interested in. So if there are any topics folks want to know about, I can blog it and then just share when things are up, as my blog address is always posted when I post my daily updates.

Gear, planning, food, etc. The nuts and bolts of what makes it different than your "normal marathon" runner's world. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I'll blog on it.

Gear, planning, food, etc. The nuts and bolts of what makes it different than your "normal marathon" runner's world. :)

HHHmmmm.... I might have to do a post just entitled "why ultra?" As far as gear and planning, etc, it is very race specific, so those kinds of things will be discussed 4 times i 2018 as I run each race and report on it.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = rest day
    1/3 = 7.5 miles
    1/4 = vinyasa yoga class
    1/5 = 7.5 miles
    1/6 = 13 miles - River Road Half Marathon

I had lots of fun running a small local half marathon with some running friends this morning. I went with a good group of ladies that were kind enough to stick with me at the end when I started slowing down because of my foot

My foot and ankle HATE me right now and I ran my crappiest half time. I knew going in that I was not getting any PRs with my foot tendon injury. I am okay with it.

The course was beautiful! It followed along a river - very pretty. The weather was also fantastic. I am trying to upload pictures but My Fitness Pal is not letting me right now. I keep getting an error message.

I did get frustrated with myself that I had to walk a lot of mile 13. The course was really hilly and the last mile was a HILL. The hill climbed the entire duration of mile 13. Sadistic race planners — lol.

January Goal = 140 miles / total miles = 34

You should rest day before your 1/2, especially if your injured. Good luck!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ran on treadmill yesterday doing 1x3/4-mile (7:30-min/mile) and 4x1/4-mile (6:58-min/mile). The 3/4 mile was tougher than I expected and right as I'm finishing it, I notice that I'm on a 2% incline! Total 4-miles.