January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile thanks - just so much of the same.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @eponine1984 I agree with @MobyCarp- big cross training :/

So me and @MNLittleFinn we're talking about Canadian Death Race and think we should totally put together an MFP Challenge Relay Team for 2019 or later. Anyone want to play with us? @PastorVincent? @7lenny? @juliet3455? Buellar?

I make it a general rule to be leery of anything with "death" in the name :smiley:

Then just call it CDR. it looks amazing. I'm considering soloing it at some point. it's only 125k
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    My toddler is working on his 14th tooth and he's less than 15 months old. This is pretty early for him to have all these teeth - my husband and I joke he'll be the only two year old with wisdom teeth. So he didn't have a great nights sleep last night, which meant I didn't have a great nights sleep. (Huge shoutout to my mom for taking him in the middle of the night when I'd gotten 34 minutes of sleep. For some reason, she likes when we visit and sleep over, even if it means she gets a 4am visit from a tiny tyrant).

My half marathon training plan calls for 2 mile run or cross training. I don't really run outside, I'm too exhausted to drive to the gym to treadmill there, so cross training it is. Laying in bed watching Netflix is cross training, right?

Having to deal with a fussy, teething toddler is CROSS training.

Definitely.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent your running looks like shorthand

I was thinking it looked a little like Arabic.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Jan. 3 - no running today but did the runtensity workout from Fit Couch. It totally kicked my *kitten*, I now have a slight pain in my knee :(
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,991 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    January goal: 75 miles

1/3 - 4.4 miles

4.4/75 miles completed

I finally got to run today. It was cold this morning, but after work was really nice. 52°f, sunny and no real wind. It was a great run. I think this was the longest I have gone without running since I started running in Sept. 2016. I really missed it. I guess I could have braved the weather like most of y'all, but I don't have the proper gear for running in these cold temps. It should be nice the rest of the week, so hopefully I will get some more good runs in.

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Dad duty tonight, so forced to skip my run. I'll work glutes instead
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    f5n253hn27v4.png

I guess I need to come up with some new routes.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm really boring

fmw7jxdf48r7.jpg

Not boring at all. The bottom half looks a bit like Asian writings.

I'm going to go find my runs. All of these posters are amazing.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    1/1 - 5.0 km
    1/2 - 5.1 km
    1/3 - strength + walk

10.1/80 km

Non-running day for me today but I took advantage of the nice weather to go for a short walk.

@JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn If y'all do CDR I will come cheerlead like a creepy Internet person.

Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5K
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10K
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 15K
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    9/2/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15K

Awesome.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »

- Rule #2. I don't/didn't need to exercise at all to lose weight. (See Rule #1)

Note : My first 30 lbs lost was my validation to this rule. In my past, I had started/failed at different points in time to to lose weight and was under a false impression that exercise was 100% needed to lose weight (mmmm see all those fitness commercials these days for New Years' resolutions that populate our minds with this thought process) and I am guessing the reason I failed at those attempts while vigorously exercising was I eating far more than I was burning as I didn't address the first rule so I eventually would quick thinking that "this exercise thing isn't working for me" because I wasn't loosing the weight I thought I should for the effort I was putting into it. That said, there are several benefits in exercising with the primary one being that helps you become more fit and healthier with a side benefit you can potentially eat/drink some extra calories.

- Rule # 3. You can't out run a bad diet. (See Rule #1).

If I ran 10 Miles, I might be healthier from the exercise, but generally speaking, if I ate more calories because I ran that day than I was burning I again would not lose weight. i.e. 750 calories burned from that run offset with a 1000 calorie shake as a reward over time can potentially prove Rule #3 to be true

Final comments. MFP posts often would say eat 50% less than whatever MFP would provide and then dial-up/down based on what is/isn't working. I used this approach as well. I figured for me this also allowed for leakage during the week for calories I wasn't sure of (eating out, the oil that was on the pan, a bad entry in the MFP database, etc). Today, I don't track what I eat in MFP as I have been able to successfully maintain and know that the above Rule #3 is really now my Rule #1. Best of Luck.

Thanks for the insight. I do weigh my food (by grams) using my digital kitchen scale. My big problem is not being oblivious to how many calories I am consuming, but going over my daily calorie threshold assuming (wrongly, it appears) that I can, well, outrun a high calorie diet.

I guess it's simple math -- a calorie deficit. Thanks for sharing your story -- that helps! I've done that, too -- exercising because I think it's the one and only magical ingredient to weight loss. But I'll keep that in mind -- You can't out run a bad diet.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @LaurenFOB2301 I think i do best at losing weight when I'm running a lesser amount, say 15 to 20 miles per week. Beyond that the hunger machine kicks in and I lose my self discipline in the kitchen.

Another factor... There are thousands of years of evolutionary coding in our genes which do amazing things to maximize our chances of survival and one of those things is our body's ability to adapt to new stresses. In the case of running our bodies get more efficient at it. It takes me less calories to run a mile today than it did two and a half years ago when I started. MFP doesn't take that into account. How much that is, I don't know.

I have 10 to 15 more pounds to lose and I've had that much to lose for over two years.

@rusgolden I'm glad those glove mitts are working out for you!

Thanks -- I assumed the treadmill digital readings and my Samsung Health running tracker app were generally accurate in my burned-calories calculations, but I guess you're right -- they are not taking into consideration that I am probably more efficient in my running than I was four months ago. Interesting! Appreciate the help!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    No run today, spent the day traveling to Two remote Mountain Top sites along the Alberta/BC border - lots of 4x4 action, Winching and some Power Saw work to get through the drifted snow and fallen trees. Not sure how to Log that as exercise. All to change 4 Aviation Obstruction Lights on the Radio Towers and replace 10 batteries ( x 100lbs/per ) that were starting to give Low Voltage Alarms.

Did stop at the Grande Prairie Running Store on the way through town and dropped off my Peregrine 4 Trail Shoes to see if the Saucony Rep will give me a warranty replacement - the Heel Cup on the right shoe came apart in December with a little over 100km's on them. I don't expect the store to warranty them since they are well past the 90 day mark. 2015 Model that spent a year in the closet as I wore out it's twin, so may not get much/anything from the rep. They are my Go To Trail Shoe for Dirt Trails, the footbed and tread pattern are a little light/soft for Rock - Mountain Runs as you can feel the pointy rocks if you hit them hard.
    It was 18 degrees this morning when I set out for my run. I had no idea what to wear so I wore everything (and overheated at mile 2). LOL

@amymoreorless Oh Thank you - that made my day - I think I may have met you last week on the Local Peace River Trails - or it was your twin. My Rorschach test of your Strava data - 2 down 1st and 3rd = The Martian from the Bugs Bunny Show. It looks like Track work outs get all twisted up - as they look just like mine.

@Marissaxzxzxz Storm Survival is a valid Running technique

@crazychlobug09 Yes 2.4 miles qualifies as a win in anyone's books. Good plan to give yourself an easy day as a rest/recovery.

@_nikkiwolf_ My Rorschach test of your Strava data - 2 down 1st = Rubber Ducky.
    When I clicked on your Link for the Strava Video it built one for me. Kinda Cool. Thanks for that.

My Strava Video ( I Think this is the link ) https://2017.strava.com/en-gb/videos/182667b97a8b22a23486c1bb7084b3049e5d5b21/

@PastorVincent Last week we were in the deepfreeze. Today +3C, wet and sloopy. Sorry for sending the Alberta Clipper Cold weather down to you.
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    So me and @MNLittleFinn we're talking about Canadian Death Race and think we should totally put together an MFP Challenge Relay Team for 2019 or later. Anyone want to play with us? @PastorVincent? @7lenny? @juliet3455? Buellar?
    @kgirlhart ?? @AlphaHowls

@7lenny7 Great summary of Windchill. Especially the turn and run into the wind which catch's a lot of people. Quite often when it is cold and blowing I will start by going into the wind, not sweaty and this way if it is just to brutal you can turn and bail out with the wind at your back - Winter Running Survival 101.

@JessicaMcB Well darn - Challenged and accepted, I think :# Don't tell my niece Trista- she wants to do it with her friend/neighbor Vanessa and me after we did the 7 Peaks Challenge in my home town last fall.
    I actually expect you to do it solo - especially since you practically have it as Home Town Advantage being it's just up the road from you and you already have experience on some of the routes. Invite the Lady who placed 1st at your Ultra Last year that you helped.