January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't get in my 8 miles this weekend. Took Saturday off, and struggled my way through 6.25 excruciatingly slow miles yesterday. I ran in the evening, after working at the old house all day, and had eaten about an hour before I went out (which I normally do not do). Just an off day. Jayde was clearly annoyed by my slow pace and kept trying to get me to run faster. When that didn't happen, she decided to prance around and lunge at all the cattle and armadillos we came across. Good times...

Anyway, I was feeling a little bummed about it this morning, thinking all of my future runs would be awful, too. Decided to jump on the treadmill before Power Pump class and see how it went. 3.1 miles @ 9:00/mile, and not even a struggle. So...now I'm feeling more confident again. It's amazing how one bad run can totally wreck you...

And also: GOAL! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

1/02/18 - 1.75 miles + Step class
    1/04/18 - 3.50 miles + Step class
    1/05/18 - 5.75 miles
    1/08/18 - 2.00 miles + Power Pump class
    1/09/18 - 2.50 miles + Step class
    1/10/18 - 6.00 miles
    1/11/18 - 2.50 miles + Step class
    1/12/18 - 4.00 miles
    1/14/18 - 8.00 miles
    1/17/18 - 5.00 miles
    1/18/18 - 5.00 miles
    1/19/18 - 7.00 miles
    1/21/18 - 6.25 miles
    1/22/18 - 3.10 miles + Power Pump class

Total: 62.35 miles / 60 mile goal

Congrats on meeting your goal so early in the month!! :smile: That's fantastic!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January

1/1 REST DAY <<< traveling back from FL
    1/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 6.5 miles - 12.7
    1/5 5 miles - 17.7
    1/6 10 miles - 27.7
    1/7 REST DAY
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 7 miles - 34.7
    1/10-14 LAZINESS
    1/15 7 miles - 41.7
    1/16 4.5 miles - 46.2
    1/17 4.5 miles - 50.7
    1/18 REST DAY
    1/19 REST DAY
    1/20 7 miles - 57.7
    1/21 REST DAY
    1/22 5 miles - 62.7

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

I am way behind this month. Too much going on in my life. Let's see how much of this month I can salvage.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Cool lights at least! :smile: Well done :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 - You can't really compare your rolled ankle to anyone else's, because ankle injuries come in many varieties and each variety can be of varying severity. Your description sounds like the time I rolled an ankle in July 2015; I saw my podiatrist for a routine visit the next week, and he informed me I had a sprain. I had run 15 miles on that sprain the preceding Saturday.

I ended up getting a soft supporting brace for the ankle and restricting both mileage and pace for 6 to 8 weeks; I was never totally unable to run, but I skipped some races because running hard would have been a bad idea. My biggest worry at the time was whether I'd be in shape to start marathon training just after Christmas, because I had qualified for Boston 2016. Turned out I did, but I wasn't able to do serious base building until about November.

All of this means little for your injury, because it may be different than mine, you may heal faster or slower than I did, etc. The main thing I'm sure is important is, avoid making it worse. If it hurts, stop running.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Rest day today. Got an unexpected envelope in the mail from USATF:

zvwxhy249wuv.jpg

I have no idea how that happened. I ran in 4 of the Grand Prix events, finishing 5th, 6th, 8th, and I think 17th in my age group. I don't know how the series scoring is done, but I think they use the results of your 5 best races. I find it odd that there weren't more than 9 guys running at least 5 races and accumulating more points than me.

Congratulations! Seems to me that a big part of Master's is staying sound enough to show up and run. All those other guys in your age group have quads too!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 - You can't really compare your rolled ankle to anyone else's, because ankle injuries come in many varieties and each variety can be of varying severity. Your description sounds like the time I rolled an ankle in July 2015; I saw my podiatrist for a routine visit the next week, and he informed me I had a sprain. I had run 15 miles on that sprain the preceding Saturday.

I ended up getting a soft supporting brace for the ankle and restricting both mileage and pace for 6 to 8 weeks; I was never totally unable to run, but I skipped some races because running hard would have been a bad idea. My biggest worry at the time was whether I'd be in shape to start marathon training just after Christmas, because I had qualified for Boston 2016. Turned out I did, but I wasn't able to do serious base building until about November.

All of this means little for your injury, because it may be different than mine, you may heal faster or slower than I did, etc. The main thing I'm sure is important is, avoid making it worse. If it hurts, stop running.

I rolled my ankle in 2005, so 13 years ago. It was a bad sprain- swollen and bruised, but I was a big dummy. I never went to the doctor and I kept running on it even though it hurt. To this day it still will feel sore especially when the weather changes.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. Got an unexpected envelope in the mail from USATF:

zvwxhy249wuv.jpg

I have no idea how that happened. I ran in 4 of the Grand Prix events, finishing 5th, 6th, 8th, and I think 17th in my age group. I don't know how the series scoring is done, but I think they use the results of your 5 best races. I find it odd that there weren't more than 9 guys running at least 5 races and accumulating more points than me.

W00T!! Congrats man. Do not try and lessen your win here. You won, accept it. :sunglasses: