January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 Great job! I'm a run-cryer, too!
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 Great job! I'm a run-cryer, too!

Thank you!!
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen I love to run early! Once you just get up and get out and get going, it's all good. You get back and feel awesome, like you've already accomplished something significant, before anyone else is out of bed. I'm slower in the early AM, but the work still counts. ;)

Oh, don't get me wrong: I love the feeling of accomplishment from morning running. It's just getting up and getting those legs physically moving that doesn't always go as easily as I'd like. :smiley:
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    havs23 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm just starting for January!! :O Used to run a lot but haven't much in the past few years so I'm setting a weensy goal of 10 miles - did 2.5 on 1/21!

Welcome! 10 miles is a great goal for you. :smile:
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 - Congrats on your awesome race! Sorry about your ankle. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    @LaurenFOB2301 - Congrats on your awesome race! Sorry about your ankle. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks! I sure hope it's speedy. :wink:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 Awesome success story!

Sorry about your fall, I have no idea how long an ankle takes to get back so will leave that to those more experienced at hurting themselves. My guess it not long.

Here is the good thing - you really do not lose running conditioning all that fast. So take whatever time it takes and you would bound back quickly afterwards.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options

Sorry about your fall, I have no idea how long an ankle takes to get back so will leave that to those more experienced at hurting themselves. My guess it not long.

Here is the good thing - you really do not lose running conditioning all that fast. So take whatever time it takes and you would bound back quickly afterwards.

Thanks for the reassurance I won't lose too much ground. I hope I can recover quickly. The weather is starting to warm up here :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hey if you are in the market for a Garmin Watch, I just saw an ad on 9to5Toys that has the Garmin 735 for only $250! That is like $150-$200 below normal!

Here: Garmin Forerunner 735 on Amazon

Looks like it is just one color? Well, you can swap the band out later I guess? No idea how long the price is good for.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reassurance I won't lose too much ground. I hope I can recover quickly. The weather is starting to warm up here :smile:

A sprain can take a few weeks, but a sprain is also too painful to run on. I'm guessing since you are able to walk and could run yesterday that there's no serious damage and you'll be fine in a couple of days. Fingers crossed!
  • lvinson44
    lvinson44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow a beginners running class! I've never heard of one. I wonder if they have one here in Louisville. That would be great for me and with instruction as well, sounds real great. Good luck to you!
    Link2Life wrote: »
    01/02/2018: C25K W1D1
    01/11/2018: C25K W1D2
    01/15/2018: C25K W1D3
    01/17/2018: C25K W2D1
    01/19/2018: C25K W2D2
    01/21/2018: C25K W2D3 (And then I went snowshoeing for 2 miles)

I'm going to sign up for a Beginner's Running class. Starts in April and goes through Mid June. Every Tues the class meets for a 30 minute run followed by an hour of instruction. Graduation is a 5k. I took it back in 2014 and quit running after the class was over. This year, I vow to not stop!

~ Link2Life

• LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 - That sounds like a pretty minor ankle roll (ouch on falling, though!). I'd recommend making sure that you move it as much as possible--to the extent that it does not hurt any worse. Honestly, the fact that you were able to (and did) run on it immediately after is great news (and good therapy).

When I first started running again after my ankle surgery, I promptly rolled that same ankle when I stepped on the edge of a pothole in the road. Literally 1/2 mile into my planned run. It hurt SO BAD when I did it that I just stood there and was on the verge of tears. I started walking, and as the pain dulled, I started running. Went ahead and did the full 4 miles that I had planned, and I think that was the best thing I could have done. I felt totally back to normal within just a couple of days. Hopefully you have a similarly quick recovery!

@ceciliaslater That is great to hear! I really hope this is the case. Like you, it hurt so bad initially but a few minutes passed and I was finish my run! It's a problem ankle in that I've sprained/rolled it in the past. I guess I should be thankful it wasn't worse. WIth this being my first misstep/injury since I started running again in September, I immediately went to worst-case scenario!

Thanks again for the encouragement! I hope that's all this is.