Trying keto! I need help!

Options
I need help and tips on getting started. I understand the low carb, high fats, but knowing me I'll do something wrong and not ever get into ketosis. Please add or message me so I can throw my questions at you. :) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lynndoesketo
    lynndoesketo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting keto on the 1st.
  • JessiJayne92
    JessiJayne92 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused! There's so many different things I'm reading and it's overwhelming.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I could never go completely keto.
    I do pretty low carb/high fat most days but still count calories.
    https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/03/Keto-Diet-Food-List-What-to-Eat-and-Avoid
  • JessiJayne92
    Options
    You want to lose weight? You have to eat less. There's nothing more to it, but because that's hard enough, I'd focus on that.

I've lost 33 pounds, I'm just stuck now and can't seem to lose any more, keto seemed like it would help get it off and keep it off. I eat 1350 calories a day. I don't know how much lower I can go.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    You want to lose weight? You have to eat less. There's nothing more to it, but because that's hard enough, I'd focus on that.

I've lost 33 pounds, I'm just stuck now and can't seem to lose any more, keto seemed like it would help get it off and keep it off. I eat 1350 calories a day. I don't know how much lower I can go.

I obviously don't know your food consumption but one thing people in the low carb world/keto world have told me that makes them stahl.. Nuts, Cheese and Low carb wraps.
  • JessiJayne92
    Options

As you lose weight, weight loss slows down. Well done, btw. 1350 calories should be low enough to produce a deficit, but you may have to be more accurate when you log. You will lose as long as you're in a calorie deficit, but you need more time to see the trend, because weekly loss can easily be drowned by daily fluctuations.

Keto has no additional effects on anything besides water weight, and possibly satiety.

Thank you!! I've read so many people swear by it though, that they've lost weight. So it has to work for people.
  • JessiJayne92
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

As you lose weight, weight loss slows down. Well done, btw. 1350 calories should be low enough to produce a deficit, but you may have to be more accurate when you log. You will lose as long as you're in a calorie deficit, but you need more time to see the trend, because weekly loss can easily be drowned by daily fluctuations.

Keto has no additional effects on anything besides water weight, and possibly satiety.

Thank you!! I've read so many people swear by it though, that they've lost weight. So it has to work for people.

Anything that reduces your calories works...keto isn't magic.

^ This. Keto works if the foods you're eating create more satiety/better adherence and you don't eat as many calories. Because calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss. For some people it makes for better satiety and adherence - for others it doesn't.

Keto doesn't work if you eat more calories because of the highly increased dietary fat content (fat is 9 calories per gram, protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram).

Keto does not supersede the laws of energy balance.

Most people who "swear by it", especially in the early stages, are being fooled by water weight loss, which isn't the same thing as fat loss. Every gram of carbohydrate is accompanied by approximately 3 grams of water (see the "hydrate" in "carbohydrate"?). When you restrict carb intake, you also flush water content from the body, which results in a relatively quick "whoosh". That's not fat you just lost, but if a lower number on the scale is all that matters without regard to what was actually lost, I guess you could call it "results".

Makes sense. I guess I'll just keep my carb intake low, which I was in the first place. I won't get all wrapped up in the craze, just take a few components of it. Thanks.
  • RechaelAndrea
    RechaelAndrea Posts: 23 Member
    Options

From what I've read, it's all about finding the right macro balance for YOU along with a calorie deficit. Here's a really good calculator: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Keep trying and tweaking until you find what works best for you!
  • RechaelAndrea
    Options
    I keep a 65/30/5 macro ratio fat/protein/carb percentage. I also have a 40% calorie deficit. We'll see how it goes. I keep reading and researching and nerding it up!
  • RechaelAndrea
    Options
    Also, I've heard to switch up the kinds of food you eat. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/03/Keto-Diet-Food-List-What-to-Eat-and-Avoid

And also keep your water up. I started taking XCT oil bulletproof coffee. Tracking every bite and sip to see how my body responds.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

For weight loss benefits, that is it - a possible few pounds of water weight and satiety/reduced carb cravings. A few keto'ers seem to lose weight better on a ketogenic diet but that seems to only apply to some who have insulin resistance or metabolic issues. And that advantage is small - a handful of pounds over a year For the rest, there is no real weight loss advantage.

I think many swear by it because weight loss is perceived as easier because you may be less hungry. For me it was a real blessing to not feel hungry or light headed every couple of hours. It makes it pretty easy to stick to compared to past attempts to reduce calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

How long did you diet? It may be worth taking a diet break or refeeding. And then coming back with a moderate deficit.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Satiety is a big deal. If we never were hungry, none of us would probably be fat. It may help with satiety and in that case may be beneficial. I use it for earlier meals in the day (I eat low carb) but have my carbs in the evenings. That helps reduce my appetite and keeps me from having afternoon carb crashes. I still get my carbs in though and can eat all types of foods (in the evenings). Best of both worlds for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Anything that reduces your calories works...keto isn't magic.

^ This. Keto works if the foods you're eating create more satiety/better adherence and you don't eat as many calories. Because calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss. For some people it makes for better satiety and adherence - for others it doesn't.

Keto doesn't work if you eat more calories because of the highly increased dietary fat content (fat is 9 calories per gram, protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram).

Keto does not supersede the laws of energy balance.

Most people who "swear by it", especially in the early stages, are being fooled by water weight loss, which isn't the same thing as fat loss. Every gram of carbohydrate is accompanied by approximately 3 grams of water (see the "hydrate" in "carbohydrate"?). When you restrict carb intake, you also flush water content from the body, which results in a relatively quick "whoosh". That's not fat you just lost, but if a lower number on the scale is all that matters without regard to what was actually lost, I guess you could call it "results".

Makes sense. I guess I'll just keep my carb intake low, which I was in the first place. I won't get all wrapped up in the craze, just take a few components of it. Thanks.

Carbs don't cause fat increase.

Just saying that, because around some parts of the internet, people seem to think that carbs also cause road rage, unemployment, and climate change. :wink:

That made me laugh and reminded me of an oldie but goodie MFP thread: Corn used my man-parts as a speedbag