Post workout

Options
Protein shake and some gummy bears! Yes please!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I just have lunch. My candy is preworkout and during :)
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Before and during? I always thought it’s best to consume sugars after the work out with a protein shake to spike insulin levels and push the protein and nutrients and amino acids into the muscle. Confused. LOL
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hey, if it makes ya happy, do it. Sounds like bro-blog over complication to me: Nutrient timing isn't typically a very important focus for sub-elite athletes, in terms of return on time and thought invested for extra results gained.

Oversimplifying, fuel (calories) > macronutrients > micronutrients > timing, on the food side.

^ QFT.
  • myles1230
    Options
    To each is own bro! Things work better for different people. QFT??
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    myles1230 wrote: »
    Before and during? I always thought it’s best to consume sugars after the work out with a protein shake to spike insulin levels and push the protein and nutrients and amino acids into the muscle. Confused. LOL

Tbh I just eat candy cause it gives me energy to lift.. (also have an espresso about an hr before)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

It’s a common belief but has actually been shown to have minimal effects. The one upside to it is that it restores your glycogen stores and helps prevent post workout cravings. I used to take dextrose immediately postworkout for 6 months to no noticeable advantage. Other than the curving of cravings. But to each their own!

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Bacon is my postworkout baby for sure
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If anything, id consume gummy bears prior to workout... If anything the dextrose can provide some energy.
  • myles1230
    Options
    I have black coffee prior for energy and Becca’s during! Works for me...
  • myles1230
    Options
    Bcaas
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Bcaas

BCAAs have been shown to be pretty worthless. You are better off just consuming protein around your workout within a 2 hr window, give or take.

^ This. BCAAs are a worthless supplement.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9
    ...We can conclude from these two studies that BCAA infusion not only fails to increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis in human subjects, but actually reduces the rate of muscle protein synthesis and the rate of muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state was not reversed to an anabolic state in either study...

And a fun little infographic about BCAAs:

1vq1ypyt3tfp.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can’t believe everything you read... they taste great intra workout and I notice significant gains. So...

Yea, let's ignore actual science..
  • myles1230
    Options
    Yes let’s!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You can’t believe everything you read...

You're absolutely right. So why don't you follow your own advice?