Post workout

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Finally, regarding the gummy bears thing and insulin:

The main benefit of insulin post workout is that it essentially blunts muscle protein breakdown and so more accurately we can say it's anticatabolic rather than anabolic.

The need for an immediate carbohydrate to bring insulin levels up is quite questionable given that whey protein alone will significantly spike insulin to levels high enough to maximally benefit muscle protein balance.

Please see here for a more in depth explanation:

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5

Just to piggyback on the bolded - in James Krieger's research review regarding insulin, it was shown that protein is equally insulogenic to carbs: https://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Good feedback! Thanks !
  • myles1230
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    myles1230 wrote: »
    Bcaas

BCAAs have been shown to be pretty worthless. You are better off just consuming protein around your workout within a 2 hr window, give or take.

^ This. BCAAs are a worthless supplement.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9
    ...We can conclude from these two studies that BCAA infusion not only fails to increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis in human subjects, but actually reduces the rate of muscle protein synthesis and the rate of muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state was not reversed to an anabolic state in either study...

And a fun little infographic about BCAAs:

1vq1ypyt3tfp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C30HGsVXELA&feature=share

This is coming from a doctor!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Bcaas

BCAAs have been shown to be pretty worthless. You are better off just consuming protein around your workout within a 2 hr window, give or take.

...We can conclude from these two studies that BCAA infusion not only fails to increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis in human subjects, but actually reduces the rate of muscle protein synthesis and the rate of muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state was not reversed to an anabolic state in either study...

1vq1ypyt3tfp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C30HGsVXELA&feature=share

This is coming from a doctor!

That is from 3 years ago by a guy who sells BCAAs. Most of the evidence has come out in the past few years when things werent concentrated around mice and rat models. If you want to compare equivalent PhDs who sell BCAA, here is a recent video from Dr. Layne Norton.

You have to remember that science continues to evolve as more and more studies come out. Its why these meta analyses are so important. They allow for a unibiased evaluation of the current body of evidencea as opposed to a myopic view of one or two controls.

https://youtu.be/LfMgUABeO9c

Keep in mind, having the match without the wood is pretty worthless.
  • buntroe
    buntroe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mean while body builders are injecting insulin before, during, and after workouts to stay anabolic.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Supplements are BS except for meal replacement and convenience.

The truth is that it's all marketing nonsense to make the supplement sellers richer and you poorer.

Don't feel too bad, we all get sucked into this one for awhile.

The only supplements that work are steroids and growth drugs. All the rest is nonsense.

I do not recommend taking growth drugs.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    QFT- Quoted for Truth
    LMGTFY-Let Me Google That For You
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

The truth is that it's all marketing nonsense to make the supplement sellers richer and you poorer.

The only supplements that work are steroids and growth drugs. All the rest is nonsense.

This is an example of swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Many supplements are overhyped and don't work but it's inaccurate to suggest they ALL don't work other than steroids.

Creatine, caffeine, whey protein, EFAs, are just a few examples of supplements that can definitely help in certain contexts.
  • Lean59man
    Options

Many supplements are overhyped and don't work but it's inaccurate to suggest they ALL don't work other than steroids.

Creatine, caffeine, whey protein, EFAs, are just a few examples of supplements that can definitely help in certain contexts.

Creatine? BS. Just causes you to retain water which increases leverage in the muscle and volume. So what. Stop taking it and deflate. What about the magical energy you get when taking creatine? Never underestimate the power of a placebo.

Caffeine? Yes, good as a stimulant. That's why most people drink coffee. This is not rocket science.

Whey protein? A meal substitute. Do you need to eat Whey? Heck no. No better than eating meat or eggs but it is convenient as a meal substitute and fine in that context. Unless you are taking steroids there is no need for very high amounts of protein.

EFAs? Again, no better than eating foods with essential fatty acids in them. In effect, a meal substitute again.

• stanmann571
    Options

Creatine? BS. Just causes you to retain water which increases leverage in the muscle and volume. So what. Stop taking it and deflate. What about the magical energy you get when taking creatine? Never underestimate the power of a placebo.

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

Withdrawal from Cr had no effect on the rate of strength, endurance, and loss of lean tissue mass with 12 weeks of reduced-volume training.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15263100
  • myles1230
    Options
    (Whey protein? A meal substitute. Do you need to eat Whey? Heck no. No better than eating meat or eggs but it is convenient as a meal substitute and fine in that context. Unless you are taking steroids there is no need for very high amounts of protein.)

Caffeine? Yes, good as a stimulant. That's why most people drink coffee. This is not rocket science.

Whey protein? A meal substitute. Do you need to eat Whey? Heck no. No better than eating meat or eggs but it is convenient as a meal substitute and fine in that context. Unless you are taking steroids there is no need for very high amounts of protein.

EFAs? Again, no better than eating foods with essential fatty acids in them. In effect, a meal substitute again.

I think whey protein powder is a very useful asset in post recovery, you are able to get the protein and aminos into the blood stream much quicker for optimal recovery. I agree on still consuming proteins such as lean meats and eggs. However I think there are a few supplements out there that if taken at the right times can be optimal assets in a training program.

Creatine: I admit I’ve tried creatine before I’ve tried utilizing it before a workout as well as after, and in my trial of using this product for over a 3 month period I didn’t really see any significant gain in strength.
  • Lean59man
    edited January 2018
    Options
    (Whey protein? A meal substitute. Do you need to eat Whey? Heck no. No better than eating meat or eggs but it is convenient as a meal substitute and fine in that context. Unless you are taking steroids there is no need for very high amounts of protein.)

I think whey protein powder is a very useful asset in post recovery, you are able to get the protein and aminos into the blood stream much quicker for optimal recovery. I agree on still consuming proteins such as lean meats and eggs. However I think there are a few supplements out there that if taken at the right times can be optimal assets in a training program.

Creatine: I admit I’ve tried creatine before I’ve tried utilizing it before a workout as well as after, and in my trial of using this product for over a 3 month period I didn’t really see any significant gain in strength.

Myles,

That script you just read about whey is right off a shill's website.

Take the money you are spending on that junk and save it for retirement.
  • myles1230
    Options
    nfsv9t0i1i1a.jpeg

Ahhh another MFP Scientist... bottoms up!!!

Myles,

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Bcaas

1vq1ypyt3tfp.jpg

The article was interesting. I skimmed over it. I have been taking BCAA's because a co-worker suggested it. I guess and like someone above said, it tastes good. However if it is serving no purpose I can save my money and stop using it.
  • myles1230
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Bcaas

1vq1ypyt3tfp.jpg

The article was interesting. I skimmed over it. I have been taking BCAA's because a co-worker suggested it. I guess and like someone above said, it tastes good. However if it is serving no purpose I can save my money and stop using it.

I think you should do exactly that. Considering the poster above is a scientist. What a joke!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Bcaas

1vq1ypyt3tfp.jpg

I think you should do exactly that. Considering the poster above is a scientist. What a joke!

Why you so mad bro? Is it because people are going against your beliefs? Are you afraid of actual science?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    nfsv9t0i1i1a.jpeg

Ahhh another MFP Scientist... bottoms up!!!

Myles,

Considering that the guy you're now arguing is just spouting brononense, you should ignore him.

He's also dismissed creatine which has ample scientific support.

You need to learn to vet your critics.