Post workout

13»

Replies

• myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    myles1230 wrote: »
    nfsv9t0i1i1a.jpeg

Ahhh another MFP Scientist... bottoms up!!!
    Lean59man wrote: »
    (Whey protein? A meal substitute. Do you need to eat Whey? Heck no. No better than eating meat or eggs but it is convenient as a meal substitute and fine in that context. Unless you are taking steroids there is no need for very high amounts of protein.)

SideSteel wrote: »
    Supplements are BS except for meal replacement and convenience.

The truth is that it's all marketing nonsense to make the supplement sellers richer and you poorer.

Don't feel too bad, we all get sucked into this one for awhile.

The only supplements that work are steroids and growth drugs. All the rest is nonsense.

I do not recommend taking growth drugs.

This is an example of swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Many supplements are overhyped and don't work but it's inaccurate to suggest they ALL don't work other than steroids.

Creatine, caffeine, whey protein, EFAs, are just a few examples of supplements that can definitely help in certain contexts.

Creatine? BS. Just causes you to retain water which increases leverage in the muscle and volume. So what. Stop taking it and deflate. What about the magical energy you get when taking creatine? Never underestimate the power of a placebo.

Caffeine? Yes, good as a stimulant. That's why most people drink coffee. This is not rocket science.

Whey protein? A meal substitute. Do you need to eat Whey? Heck no. No better than eating meat or eggs but it is convenient as a meal substitute and fine in that context. Unless you are taking steroids there is no need for very high amounts of protein.

EFAs? Again, no better than eating foods with essential fatty acids in them. In effect, a meal substitute again.

I think whey protein powder is a very useful asset in post recovery, you are able to get the protein and aminos into the blood stream much quicker for optimal recovery. I agree on still consuming proteins such as lean meats and eggs. However I think there are a few supplements out there that if taken at the right times can be optimal assets in a training program.

Creatine: I admit I’ve tried creatine before I’ve tried utilizing it before a workout as well as after, and in my trial of using this product for over a 3 month period I didn’t really see any significant gain in strength.

Myles,

That script you just read about whey is right off a shill's website.

Take the money you are spending on that junk and save it for retirement.

Considering that the guy you're now arguing is just spouting brononense, you should ignore him.

He's also dismissed creatine which has ample scientific support.

You need to learn to vet your critics.

Your absolutely right brotha! Well said! Ignored!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    You can’t believe everything you read... they taste great intra workout and I notice significant gains. So...

If you're noticing significant gains - which I'm assuming is your goal since you aren't complaining about it - it's a combination of adequate protein intake and eating at or above maintenance. You don't need supplements to achieve this, careful meal planning and eating will give you this. Most supplements - unless needed for medical reasons - can be fulfilled with regular foods. Notice I said most . . . not all . . . people could be using them for medical reasons or geographical. Like for example, in Canada during the winter months we don't get sufficient sunlight or sun exposure so I take vitamin D to help with that. During the summer when I'm outside more and get more sun I don't take it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Supplements are BS except for meal replacement and convenience.

The truth is that it's all marketing nonsense to make the supplement sellers richer and you poorer.

Don't feel too bad, we all get sucked into this one for awhile.

The only supplements that work are steroids and growth drugs. All the rest is nonsense.

I do not recommend taking growth drugs.

This is an example of swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Many supplements are overhyped and don't work but it's inaccurate to suggest they ALL don't work other than steroids.

Creatine, caffeine, whey protein, EFAs, are just a few examples of supplements that can definitely help in certain contexts.

Creatine? BS. Just causes you to retain water which increases leverage in the muscle and volume. So what. Stop taking it and deflate. What about the magical energy you get when taking creatine? Never underestimate the power of a placebo.

Caffeine? Yes, good as a stimulant. That's why most people drink coffee. This is not rocket science.

Whey protein? A meal substitute. Do you need to eat Whey? Heck no. No better than eating meat or eggs but it is convenient as a meal substitute and fine in that context. Unless you are taking steroids there is no need for very high amounts of protein.

EFAs? Again, no better than eating foods with essential fatty acids in them. In effect, a meal substitute again.

Whey protein ia not a meal substitute. MRP have additonal nutrients, vitamins and minerals while protein shakes do not. And yes, while many can hit their protein goals without, it can be difficut for some. That is the point of supplements, to address a requirement that you can not achieve alone with foods. Perfect example is DHA/EPA; to get adequate supply, one general would need to consume oily fish 3x per week. For some, that is too much or they dont like fish. A supplement can make it easy to achieve that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited January 2018
    Not mad at all. People can do what they want, and believe what they want. As for me I know what works and what’s scientifically proven. If they choose to disagree then so be it, I can really care a less, as for me I will continue to make gains and have optimal recovery from my intense workouts. For Those who choose to ride the MFP bandwagon of “science “ then so be it. So I will continue to post the real deal on here, if you or anyone else chooses to disagree or want to argue or debate my posts feel free that is your right. Crappy response though! especially coming from an MFP moderator. I think your so called facts and so called backed by science jibberish needs to be moderated
    RE: The bolded - you've been shown what works and is scientifically proven, and all you can do in return is hurl insults. So I question the validity of that statement.

What you're posting isn't the "real deal". It's broscience that's been peddled to you by supplement manufacturers and you've bit hook, line and sinker on their hype and sales pitches.

If you're making mad gainz, more power to you - but you're succeeding in spite of what you're doing, not because of what you're doing.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2018
    Never doubt the power of placebo.

Over 40+ years of training I have tried all this junk. The desire to make fast gains makes anybody want to grab on to any possible magic supplement.

Nothing to be ashamed of in succumbing to the intense marketing of this stuff.

Again, some supplements are useful as a replacement/substitute for "real" food, providing a convenient way to get daily requirements.

I just strongly object to the claims made by supplement sellers that promote the belief in miracle gains.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited January 2018

Over 40+ years of training I have tried all this junk. The desire to make fast gains makes anybody want to grab on to any possible magic supplement.

Again, some supplements are useful as a replacement/substitute for "real" food, providing a convenient way to get daily requirements.

I just strongly object to the claims made by supplement sellers that promote the belief in miracle gains.

Guess you didn't bother to read the actual research studies that were given to you covering Creatine. There's plenty on whey too.

Here you go again

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Are you familiar with research directly comparing creatine to a placebo and what this means as far as identifying whether or not creatine is just a placebo?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Bcaas

BCAAs have been shown to be pretty worthless. You are better off just consuming protein around your workout within a 2 hr window, give or take.

^ This. BCAAs are a worthless supplement.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9
    ...We can conclude from these two studies that BCAA infusion not only fails to increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis in human subjects, but actually reduces the rate of muscle protein synthesis and the rate of muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state was not reversed to an anabolic state in either study...

And a fun little infographic about BCAAs:

1vq1ypyt3tfp.jpg

The article was interesting. I skimmed over it. I have been taking BCAA's because a co-worker suggested it. I guess and like someone above said, it tastes good. However if it is serving no purpose I can save my money and stop using it.

I think you should do exactly that. Considering the poster above is a scientist. What a joke!

Why you so mad bro? Is it because people are going against your beliefs? Are you afraid of actual science?

Not mad at all. People can do what they want, and believe what they want. As for me I know what works and what’s scientifically proven. If they choose to disagree then so be it, I can really care a less, as for me I will continue to make gains and have optimal recovery from my intense workouts. For Those who choose to ride the MFP bandwagon of “science “ then so be it. So I will continue to post the real deal on here, if you or anyone else chooses to disagree or want to argue or debate my posts feel free that is your right. Crappy response though! especially coming from an MFP moderator. I think your so called facts and so called backed by science jibberish needs to be moderated

So you think that MFP members who rely on science, particularly on peer reviewed studies and meta analyses are spouting jibberish? But everyone should take to heart your N=1 anecdotal experience and your videos from sources who profit directly from the messages they are conveying?