JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,065 Member
    So it’s 7.30pm, I have 9 calories left and 4 cups of water to drink. So basically I should achieve that!
    I’m a bit peckish though.
    Just gonna keep drinking water!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    @cschmitz110515 @toaljasa Hope you both have great trips!
  • Bex953172
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    For @Bex,

For me, personally, I think it's important to pick one or two meaningful items for the day. I don't think of this as my to do list for the day (and I rarely post in this thread anymore).

Think of one or two mini challenges that are meaningful to you. I notice you take the baby out in her stroller. Is there a particular place or park you would like to go with her and maybe gradually extend the walking time?

A lot of people post about drinking 8 glasses of water a day, but this might not be realistic right off the bat. If you're currently drinking one or two, set your initial goal for three or four. If you're not drinking any water, let your goal be one glass in the morning and one in the afternoon, or even just one a day.

I think we need to set ourselves up for success. I honestly find it demoralizing to see these long lists of repetitive to do's and things that don't get accomplished. I can "feel" the frustration, and I think we need to be realistic about what we can and cannot achieve on a given day. We are all different, with different lifestyles, health concerns, etc. When I see a list of 10-20 items, I just get discouraged because I know, for me, that is not realistic.

I think we need to build ourselves up, not make ourselves feel bad, and then GRADUALLY increase our goals.

Good luck to you, Bex, and everyone else! :)

Thank you!

I think you’re right there lol!
    I’m just posting goals I either already do or can’t do efficiently.

The walking with stroller is the nursery run :)
    I like it because it’s early in the morning, the middle child goes in her crib for a nap after breakfast whilst I’m out (obv dads at home), it’s good exercise for me and my eldest daughter and fresh air for all of us! Plus it always sends Casey to sleep muahaha
    And with it being early morning ish it sets me up right for the day!
    I normally have a cup of tea before I go, walk it and then have another cup of tea and breakfast when I get back!

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    JFT Friday
    1. Log all food :) Prelogged
    2. Lots of water :)
    3. Be kind :)
    4. Eat within calories - tomorrow is "20" day :)
    5. 10 Squats every bathroom trip :) I did 15each and was wondering why I was sore
    6. Pick up spring mix on way home :)
    7. $ for dog daycare :)
    8. Work on 365 Days of Happiness - Want to have finished 1 week from today! :)
    9. Final clean before guests arrive :)
    10. Pay bills :)
    11. MEDS AM AND PM - INCLUDING SUPPLEMENTS!!! Ugh forgot pm yesterday, just remembered today.

Jft and tomorrow
    1. Be kind to yourself
    2. Log all food
    3. Be present
    4. 2 cups regular water + seltzer
    5. Laundry
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    For @Bex,

For me, personally, I think it's important to pick one or two meaningful items for the day. I don't think of this as my to do list for the day (and I rarely post in this thread anymore).

Think of one or two mini challenges that are meaningful to you. I notice you take the baby out in her stroller. Is there a particular place or park you would like to go with her and maybe gradually extend the walking time?

A lot of people post about drinking 8 glasses of water a day, but this might not be realistic right off the bat. If you're currently drinking one or two, set your initial goal for three or four. If you're not drinking any water, let your goal be one glass in the morning and one in the afternoon, or even just one a day.

I think we need to set ourselves up for success. I honestly find it demoralizing to see these long lists of repetitive to do's and things that don't get accomplished. I can "feel" the frustration, and I think we need to be realistic about what we can and cannot achieve on a given day. We are all different, with different lifestyles, health concerns, etc. When I see a list of 10-20 items, I just get discouraged because I know, for me, that is not realistic.

I think we need to build ourselves up, not make ourselves feel bad, and then GRADUALLY increase our goals.

This is very insightful, and tomorrow's Sunday, so I'm going to make a trimmed down list.

Just for Sunday:

1) Log all food and stay under goal.
    2) Treat myself well, which includes oral hygiene, physical therapy, relaxation, and fun
    3) Call my dad and brother as we can't be together this Father's Day.

Just for Saturday Recap:

1) Log all food, keeping calories green :)
    2) Hit protein goal :)
    3) Drink 8 glasses of water :)
    4) Physical therapy morning and evening :)
    5) Yoga routine :)
    6) Clean out car :)
    7) Kitchen closed and brush teeth by 10 pm :)
  • Bex953172
    It’s 5am! The usual wake up for Casey *yawn*
    Thought I’d post goals to stop me falling asleep whilst she’s having her bottle
    Anyway

Goals for Sunday (Fathers Day UK)
    - make today lovely for my partner
    - Bake the lemon drizzle cake for him
    - make sure house is tidy

- Not sticking to my limit today, but not going to go wild. I need to make smart choices where possible but I do need to log everything regardless if outcome! I’m thinking low calorie breakfast and lunch will give me plenty for the Sunday Roast Dinner! (and cake)
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    It’s 5am! The usual wake up for Casey *yawn*
    Thought I’d post goals to stop me falling asleep whilst she’s having her bottle
    Anyway

Goals for Sunday (Fathers Day UK)
    - make today lovely for my partner
    - Bake the lemon drizzle cake for him
    - make sure house is tidy

- Not sticking to my limit today, but not going to go wild. I need to make smart choices where possible but I do need to log everything regardless if outcome! I’m thinking low calorie breakfast and lunch will give me plenty for the Sunday Roast Dinner! (and cake)

@Bex, that lemon drizzle cake sounds delicious! Hope you all have a lovely Father's Day. :)
  • Bex953172
    Only got 500 cals left!
    Had a low cal breakfast, high calorie lunch and now I’ve got to figure out how I’m gonna do tea, maybe just use up all the 500 for the meal and then the cake will be extra.

Partner likes his gifts, I got him a litre bottle of Strawberry Daquiri, a mug that’s says “OFF DUTY - ASK MUM” , a box of chocolates that’s in the shape of tools lol and 2 wax melts. And a card of course.
    Just done us all a full cooked breakfast (his breakfast but all of our lunches as he had a lie in too!)
    And I’m running him a bath now :)

Now I gotta tidy and bake and then cook dinner!!
    Busy busy
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    My friend sent this to me today, I thought I would give us all a smile :)

3uqbvjo7yuph.png

BWAHAHAHA! That's hilarious!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Those types of gifts mean so much to the recipient. It shows a lot of thought and care went into it. My husband's birthday is in January so of course he rarely gets anything being so close to Christmas, but we try to do something to make him feel special. I remember one year my daughter was probably about 12-13 she took a gift box from Christmas and collected things that reminded her of her Father. She wrote a long letter that explained her reasoning for all of her items. It had a penny in it to show that he was always there supporting her financially, an empty bottle of his cologne and she described being hugged and his smell. I can't remember everything, but there was probably 15 items or so. He treasures that box, it's a massive one for all of the items that is in it, but we'll never get rid of it. She'll have it back someday :)

This is such a cool idea! I love this. These are the kinds of gifts I treasure. One of my granddaughters has written me letters for Christmas, a birthday, last Mother's Day spilling her feelings and her favorite memories of us. I treasure them more than I do anything else I own.
  • PackerFanInGB
    junodog1 wrote: »
    JFT Friday

Eat to the plan - stay green
    Walk 10,000 steps
    64 oz water
    Plan the rest of June
    Contact AP about payment SOP

The last two days have been rough as I took home a work project on Wednesday night that I thought would take me until about 10:00 to finish. I went to bed at 4 in the morning. Ugh. Got almost three hours sleep. I woke up and went to work at 8:30 (I work 9-6) and planned to leave at 6 and go home, take a nap and then go to bed. I did leave work on time - that is not usually an issue in my new job - but I drove into town and interjected myself with my daughter who was in another crisis situation. Not as bad as last fall but way way too much drama. Police were called to make sure the peace was kept. At least no men involved (yay), but interpersonal conflict with a girl she had to tell to move out of her apartment. This time I completely understand the conflict and the tension so I am not stressed out about how it happened. But she and I handle things so very differently. It's not that I don't act like her now that I am old, I never acted as she does. She is very outspoken can can be heartless. I cannot relate.

The awesomeness is that I have been sticking to my calorie counts. Last night I actually had to make myself eat something - which may be the first time ever, definitely the first time in years that I have not wanted to stuff my face in time of stress. I went to Walmart with daughter and bought up all the cleaning supplies and made myself buy a microwave meal. I knew if I did not eat until I got back to my home I wold be ravenous and might make bad choices. Instead it was a chicken/broccoli/alfredo dinner. The condition in the apartment may have been a factor, because until we threw out a few things that the roomie left behind I could not eat in that space.

I am no clean freak, but certain things are just kept up always. Kitchen and bathrooms must be reasonably clean at my house. No dirty dishes overnight; solid bathroom cleaning weekly. (Still can't seem to get the grout looking clean tho.) I love, love, cats. BUT This young woman had brought a cat into the apartment. She did not do the maintenance you have to do with cat litter. The cat had seven kittens. Two of the kittens died due to the conditions they were kept in, in the roommates room. That was the last straw for my daughter. My daughter did all the cleaning. She refused to clean up anything in the kitchen for a while except her own activity and she finally broke down when there were no clean dishes or pots. Now there will be carpet cleaning, the couch may have to be thrown out. The bedroom looks like one of those episodes of hoarders where the people never throw out the trash. It felt like a Jerry Springer show.

I'm old. My kids are out of the house. I thought these were supposed to be the golden years. WTF.

rant over

Your post really reached my heart. Although we have different "dramas" going on, I know the feeling VERY WELL of "I'm old. My kids are out of the house. I thought these were supposed to be the golden years. WTF." I'm counting down my years to retirement and my husband is early retired, and I have had a granddaughter living here for 4 years...because raising a teenage girl was so much fun the first time! :wink: (((HUGS)))
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,193 Member
    edited June 2018
    Didn't get a chance to post or even read all the posts ..... busy day yesterday, so today will be simple

JFT, Sun
    1. spend fathers day with hubby. Making him a nice breakfast and dinner, and plan to go to the gym with him this afternoon. (Thats what he wants to do, so I'll go along, even though I hate working out in the afternoons!).
    2. april challenge - 8+ cups of water
    3. june challenge - mindful eating

Last nite was hard foodwise ... but I ended up eating 2 rice cakes, 2 cups of grapes, and finally a protein bar. I know it was stress eating ... but ... I avoided the ice cream calling my name in the freezer!

We thought we were done with daughters disability ... apparently when they made the decision that her disability will continue, they did not look at last years paystubs. So now we are starting all over again. So between that, and then my mind started worrying about my son ... I just wanted food. But ... I resisted. Even though my calories were higher than I wanted, at least I did not have a all nite binge with icecream!

But on the plus side for me, one entire week of not giving into food in the evening, and my weight is down almost 3 pounds! I am really hoping next week to get out of the 190s!

Hope you all have a great fathers days today
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,193 Member
    edited June 2018
    @junodog1 -- you day sounds very hard, and yes, parenting is the hardest thing in the world. We have plans for our life, and our golden years. I also never thought we would be raising a 40 year old who cannot work and handle money, and also worrying about a son. Hugs to you dear friend. You are not alone -- so many of us also think the same thing. But I am glad you could be there for your daughter.

@Snowflake1968 - I love those gift ideas. The best gifts are the ones from the heart - not store-bought stuff. Thanks for sharing the ideas!

@SaraKim17 - I agree 100% with the goals ... sometimes fewer goals that are attainable are the best. But everyone is different, and for many on here, the goals are more like a "to do" list, unrelated to diet, but ways to improve our lives. But there are no rules ---- everyone can set as many or as few goals as they want. The main thing is to keep coming back, not giving up!

@Bex953172 -- wow, your partner is a lucky man! Chocolates, strawberry dairguir, and I love the mug! And lemon drizzle cake, and running a bath for him!! I can feel the love for your partner in your post -- hope you have a great day together!
  • PackerFanInGB
    For @Bex,

Very insightful! I think you are right. I do feel bad when I don't meet all the goals I set. I think after being on here for years I don't always look at things from the view of someone else. Thanks for this post! I'm going to scale back my goals and maybe seeing some smiles will help me be more successful!

BTW, it's great to hear from you, again!! It's been a while! :smile:
  • PackerFanInGB
    I'm going to take @SaraKim17's advice and only post the key goals that are important to me to hit today. I think seeing more smiles than frowns might be nice for a change!

Just for Sunday:
    1. Log everything I eat and drink
    2. Drink at least eight 8oz glasses of water
    3. Listen to my podcasts while I sew
    4. Be grateful and kind

These are my most important goals today. Anything else that I succeed at is just gravy on top (bad choice of words?)! If I can get back into the habit of logging everything I eat and drink, staying in the GREEN will soon follow. If I can drink enough water, the swelling in my ankles and fingers will soon go away. Listening to the podcasts helps put things into perspective for me both mentally, spiritually and physically. They help me be more mindful, which in turn helps me accomplish #4. :smile: It all falls into place if I can just do these few things.

So....here's to a successful Sunday!

Hugs to all. You are truly the most inspiring, insightful and motivational group I've ever belonged to! :heart:

• PackerFanInGB
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    I was so sad to read this Tracy!!! I am so sorry if your mom was negative. I KNOW @Bex is going to love it!!
    SO please, do not let your mother take away from the joy of sewing. If you saw my early quilts you would see what I mean. I have been quilting now for almost 25 years, so don't ever compare yours to anyone else.

I would love to see it ..... I know it is beautiful!!!! So please, do not do anything different. If you need help with how to finish it, please send me a private email- and I will send you my personal email address, and I will be more than happy in giving you suggestions as to how to finish it off.

@PackerFanInGB Ditto everthing Joan said, hon. Hey maybe we could do some kind of video conference!

Thank you! I'm going to work on it this afteroon, and if I get stuck, I will message you and Joan privately for help! :smile: Maybe a Skype session or something if I get REALLY stuck! LOL!

My husband is going to my bonus son's (his son) house for a 3:00 cookout, steak dinner, and I am not going to be able to go. It's going to be nearly a 100 degree heat index with high humidity and I would be miserable. My body doesn't handle heat well anymore. My right arm (the one I had to get therapy on for lymphedema) swells horribly in the heat and it would send me right back to the therapist. So, I'll be downstairs working on the quilt and I'm really looking forward to jumping back in and not worrying about it being perfect! :smile: