Dry January!

Options

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Welcome @torinoodle92! That's 13.

@Skyweigh: Based on your post, I can't quite tell if you're committing to do the challenge. Let us know. Whatever you decide is fine!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes... absolutely! I was posting about my challenges with the challenge and observations from past experiences. I apologize in inappropriate for this thread.
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'll have a go, please! Day 3 today for me.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ayyyy! I've been dry since the day after Thanksgiving! It's been surprisingly easy even with my SO drinking almost every night. You all got this :smile:
  • lanzerco67
    lanzerco67 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started the 2nd of Jan (college football on the 1st and all...), hoping to make it til my birthday on Feb 17th. Wife is with me, and I can safely say we're alcoholics. I NEED this. Good luck to all!
  • jcadow
    jcadow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Count me in, starting on the 7th. I'll stay sober until at least Feb 7th. Thanks for starting this up!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    Yes... absolutely! I was posting about my challenges with the challenge and observations from past experiences. I apologize in inappropriate for this thread.

Nothing to apologize for! Feel free to share whatever you like. I just wasn't sure what you had decided.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    We are no 17 strong. Welcome everyone. Don't forget to check in and let us know how you are doing!

And it's not too late to join!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Made it through my biggest habit - pouring a glass of wine when I cook dinner. Two days down. Today wasn’t too hard but I’ve had a headache all evening.
    Jan 2 = no alcohol
    Jan 3 = no alcohol
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it anyway as I've done it for the last two years. Though this year I didn't start until 2 Jan (as I wanted to finish the last glass of the bottle of wine that was opened on NYE on NY Day). So, I'm in. I have so many more calories to eat now...
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    I'm doing it anyway as I've done it for the last two years. Though this year I didn't start until 2 Jan (as I wanted to finish the last glass of the bottle of wine that was opened on NYE on NY Day). So, I'm in. I have so many more calories to eat now...

Do you find that after you do dry January to tend to drink less overall when you add it back in? I’ve never done it before and I’m curious.
  • mckernanangela
    mckernanangela Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Started on the 2nd.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    My transition always involves finding alternative beverages. Since it's cold, tea seems fitting. Tonight, I had Pukka "Detox," particularly fitting.

What's your go-to alternative?
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My transition always involves finding alternative beverages. Since it's cold, tea seems fitting. Tonight, I had Pukka "Detox," particularly fitting.

What's your go-to alternative?

I'm drinking iced water with lemon slices!
    2 X cups of tea with milk in morning.
    Day 1- alcohol free
    Day 2- alcohol free
    Day 3- alcohol free
  • purpledoll173
    purpledoll173 Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm in. Had new year in Scotland so my organs could do with the break! :#
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am now on my 4th dry January day, very happy to report that it has not felt difficult at all! I think my body really wanted a rest from booze after holidays + the all inclusive vacation. Not missing it at all.
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    Drying this January (from yesterday-- I drank wine on New Year's Day). Over the past year or so, I have managed to drink a lot less, a few times going a couple of weeks without, and congratulating myself for each night I abstain, marking on my calendar. I do not like how alcohol affects my sleep patterns; I sleep easily after wine, and wake up early (that has often been a good thing, though). My sleep without is deeper and more restorative. I too, also feel a kind of panic when the afternoon transitions into the night, but often, when I'm over that, it's okay. I also notice craving wine when I see people drinking out of wine glasses on tv. Another (major) reason for abstaining is that it takes up too much "mental real estate" .... that is, planning, thinking about, budgeting for, etc. There used to be a commercial saying, "alcohol makes my world smaller" and the truth of that rings for me.

Presently, one of the biggest stumbling blocks (fears, discomforts) is my bff. That is because we have socialized usually around a bottle of wine (or more!) but I have now told her I am abstaining at least for January, and suggested we resume visiting the gym together. We haven't yet had our "Holiday Party" as she was sick during that time. I am contemplating, rehearsing, hanging out with her and drinking water or green tea while she sips wine, but it may be tempting temptation. I am grateful for any comments and suggestions people may have for dealing with this? So far, dealing with this involves kind of re-inventing myself, as with quitting smoking (27 years ago). If I can think of myself as a person who does not drink (and I know a few who just have never had a taste for it) there will be other "go to" strategies.

Happy January, everyone!

I know how you feel. I have a lot of friends who like to gather and celebrate over wine or cocktails too. My tip for surviving during this dry time is to make the other person feel like you are celebrating too, even if it's just a mocktail you're having, and not making them feel like it's bad that they are drinking, and not discouraging them from drinking. I find if I have a fun mindset/mentality, then I catch the mental high without the physical drain! I don't know if that helps, but it has worked for me in the past.
  • eddie_fields
    eddie_fields Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Count me in. Started January 1.
  • xiaoguai
    xiaoguai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Feel good without any drink.