Dry January!

Options

Replies

• KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sorry all, I've let the side down, just had a gin & tonic!
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I already started my own "dry January" on the 1st, but it'd be nice to join a group!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Doing fine, no cravings this time around. Dry since 2 Jan.
    b3achy wrote: »
    I'm doing it anyway as I've done it for the last two years. Though this year I didn't start until 2 Jan (as I wanted to finish the last glass of the bottle of wine that was opened on NYE on NY Day). So, I'm in. I have so many more calories to eat now...

Do you find that after you do dry January to tend to drink less overall when you add it back in? I’ve never done it before and I’m curious.

For the first few months, yes, I do typically cut back, but there always seems to be a point in the year where I go back to my mostly old ways. I've seen stats published though that say for many, they do drink less moving forward and some don't drink at all after the month is up. I'm actually considering going dry for longer than January this time around as I want to get into training for some races and think I'd rather have the extra food. But, we'll see.
    My transition always involves finding alternative beverages. Since it's cold, tea seems fitting. Tonight, I had Pukka "Detox," particularly fitting.

What's your go-to alternative?

I started doing 'skinny' drinks when I was trying to lose, so I just have the 'mixer' without the alcohol. The 'skinny' drinks I made uses a flavored seltzer water that I get from Walmart called "Clear American" - zero calories and total yum - multiple flavors (cherry, lemon, lime, orange, watermelon, berries, etc). I used to mix them with a shot of vodka for a light drink (under 100 cals) when I didn't grab for a glass of wine (but I also cut my wine now with a non-flavored seltzer for more volume).

Last year, I stocked up on the flavored seltzer water, so whenever I had a craving to drink, I'd have just the seltzer instead to ease the craving. It worked for me, though last year's dry January was harder than the year before. This year, I'm not really having any cravings, so I'm just drinking my normal lemon water with the occasional zero calorie soda. But I always have those seltzer waters on hand in case I want something more flavorful than just plain water/lemon water.

I also found out last year that for me, the bubbles of the seltzer also helped with my desire to have a beer. Sometimes I craved the type/texture/carbonation of the drink rather than the actual alcohol. So a zero calorie soda or a seltzer water (if it was late and I didn't want the caffeine) was a good alternative for a beer.
    Sorry all, I've let the side down, just had a gin & tonic!

All is not lost...there are 27 more days to go in January. Just start over! You can do it!
  • DeniseArc
    DeniseArc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m in! That was my goal this month even with a vacation & anniversary on the books. I can do this!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Welcome

@mckernanangela
    @kentuckyAHA
    @purpledoll173
    @eddie_fields
    @DeniseArc

We now have 23!

Don't forget to check in and tell us how you're doing! (The leftover holiday beer is getting lonely in my cupboard. I can live with that!)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    And: It's still not too late to join!

(You can always go a few days into Feb.)
  • KentuckyAHA
    KentuckyAHA Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My transition always involves finding alternative beverages. Since it's cold, tea seems fitting. Tonight, I had Pukka "Detox," particularly fitting.

What's your go-to alternative?

I am still trying to figure out what will satisfy my craving for a big glass of red wine after a long day.
  • nikk2i17
    nikk2i17 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’m in! I enjoyed the drinks a little too much over the holidays. It’s time to focus on my fitness & macros! I’m down 9lbs since NYE!!!
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    And: It's still not too late to join!

(You can always go a few days into Feb.)

I’m in!! Last drink was New Year’s Day
  • KentuckyAHA
    KentuckyAHA Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My earlier message got cut off but I had said I was going to a family dinner at my parents tonight and with everyone drinking it would be a challenge but..hooray one more day down, no drinking!
  • Seitnyx
    Seitnyx Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I’m in, my birthday on the 22nd will be the only exception though, and I’ll only have 2 drinks
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Three days down- so far it’s been pretty easy but I’m so tired!
  • purpledoll173
    purpledoll173 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Seriously tempted last night, as my husband was enjoying some drinks. Beer was fine, (I've had enough lately for the smell to make me slightly queasy), but then he finished off the evening with Bailey's Irish liqueur left over from Christmas. I inhaled the sweet sweet fragrance, and sipped my tea.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    The polar vortex bomb cyclone hit the US east coast and I was out clearing for several hours. Typically, a congratulatory beer would be in order after that. But, in honor of the challenge, I stuck with herbal tea. And I didn't miss it one bit!
  • caroline_mason42
    caroline_mason42 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am in but have a cheat day planned for a family party Saturday but that is hopefully my only slip :smile:
  • eddie_fields
    eddie_fields Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Day 5 today...so far so good...yesterday was tough because work and the gym wer closed because of weather so left with lots of free time. Work closed, gym closed, library and government offices closed...liquor store open! Funny world
  • janedairy
    janedairy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started on 3rd Jan and will go on to 3rd Feb. From then I will only drink if there is a celebratory reason (and 'it's Friday' is not enough!) I did Jan 3rd to Feb 3rd last year and being completely dry is much easier for me than cutting down. Last year I went back to my old ways afterward but this year not going to.
  • eddie_fields
    eddie_fields Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    janedairy wrote: »
    I started on 3rd Jan and will go on to 3rd Feb. From then I will only drink if there is a celebratory reason (and 'it's Friday' is not enough!) I did Jan 3rd to Feb 3rd last year and being completely dry is much easier for me than cutting down. Last year I went back to my old ways afterward but this year not going to.

I agree completely that for me it’s easier to completely cut out drinking then cut back significantly. Good luck
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Three days down- so far it’s been pretty easy but I’m so tired!

For me, the overall nites sleep is better without alcohol. I mean, with some wine, I'll fall asleep quickly, but it wears off and I'll wake back up later. Plus, wine adds to general grogginess in the morning. You should see improvement, I think.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    A little late to join, but I'm in! Started on the 1st and still going. (This cold weather has definitely helped) Good luck, everyone! :)