What Do I need to Know about Indoor Cycling/Spin Classes?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm so late to the party, but I love spin and got really into it a few years back (twice a day, five days a week). If you are going to eat, do it at least an hour before you get on the bike. Food will sit like cement in your tummy as soon as you start working hard. Also, take lots of water with you, and a small towel to wipe your face. If it's your first time, make sure to tell the instructor so that they can help you optimize your bike for good posture. Push hard and smile, it feels so good once you get going, and you will feel soo good afterwards. If you are going to get into it, I suggest listening to others here and getting clipless/SPD shoes. They are a real game changer and you feel a huge difference in your performance and stamina.

Have fun! Spin is a blast, and the classes are always supportive and positive.

Not late to the game at all! I ended up coming down with the dreaded flu that's been going around so haven't actually been to a class yet. Going tomorrow, nervous as all get out!

LOVED all of the answers on here, and have really appreciated everyone reaching out and giving advice.

We'll want a post-class review as payback: You know this, right? ;)

So... update. I kept chickening out but finally made it to class aaaaand forgot my tennis shoes at home. Thinking that it would be fine, I went in wearing chuck Taylors and I honestly don't know if my feet ever hurt more.

On the plus side, the class itself was a lot of fun and I'm definitely going back again! I didn't feel judged at all, even when I couldn't keep up, and I just regret not going sooner!

Thank you all for your help!

Hooray! (Except the feet part, of course :) - which should be easily remedied.) Thanks for taking the time to let us know!
  • Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I too have wanted to go to a class for a long time, but have been intimidated. Lots of good suggestions from everyone - thanks to those as well. Last time I was in the gym, I asked the girl at the counter when the least busy time was so that I could go then, but she didn't know. Part of my intimidation is from the one time I went about 3 years ago and everyone had dibs on their usual bike and seemed to resent an outsider coming into their group. That feeling is hard to get over to see if another group would be more accepting, but I'm still going to try one of these days.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    My gym is currently putting in an online system where you can reserve your bike ahead of time and it will have your name on the roster when you walk in. Maybe yours is doing that too, so you won't have to worry about "taking" someone else's bike @Debster634!

Update 2.0: now that it's been several hours, my sit area is really starting to flare up. I don't even know how to describe it -- it's like really bad DOMS but where you sit! :D
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Update 2.0: now that it's been several hours, my sit area is really starting to flare up. I don't even know how to describe it -- it's like really bad DOMS but where you sit!

Rub Some Dirt On It.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    My gym is currently putting in an online system where you can reserve your bike ahead of time and it will have your name on the roster when you walk in. Maybe yours is doing that too, so you won't have to worry about "taking" someone else's bike @Debster634!

Update 2.0: now that it's been several hours, my sit area is really starting to flare up. I don't even know how to describe it -- it's like really bad DOMS but where you sit! :D

Believe it or not, the lady-to-butt zone toughens up with spinning time and persistence. There are no side effects of this toughening on . . . other lifestyle activities. Padded bike shorts or a gel seat cover help a little. In case you don't know: No undies with those bike shorts.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Debster634 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this question. I too have wanted to go to a class for a long time, but have been intimidated. Lots of good suggestions from everyone - thanks to those as well. Last time I was in the gym, I asked the girl at the counter when the least busy time was so that I could go then, but she didn't know. Part of my intimidation is from the one time I went about 3 years ago and everyone had dibs on their usual bike and seemed to resent an outsider coming into their group. That feeling is hard to get over to see if another group would be more accepting, but I'm still going to try one of these days.

Arrive early, ask instructor if there's some specific bike that's usually free?

Absent that, pick one (front row often less popular in my classes), and know that helping others vary their routine helps them develop mental flexibility. (Snooze lose, first come first served, early bird gets worm, all that stuff). ;)
  • Debster634
    Options

• Debster634
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out.