Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    *Quietly raises hand......

I can take or leave Oreos. Mostly leave. There are far superior biscuits (British definition) available, why would I waste the calories on Oreos? Unless vegan, then I think they become essential to life.

I’m starting to think Oreos available in Britain are sub-par to American Oreos. Too many Brits saying the same thing.

I'm an American and Oreos aren't my cup of tea either. It's a good thing the cookie aisle is so big!

Same here. Nothing on a really good homemade chocolate chip cookie, or Snickerdoodle, or peanut butter. I like cookies to be slightly moist (sorry, I know that's an awful word) throughout, and don't like the hard pieces, cream filling (or whatever you call it) combo that much. I don't hate them, but they aren't my favorite or anything I particular long for ever.

Gah, I wanted homemade chocolate chip cookies SO MUCH last night! I'm not even a big cookie fan. I can only conclude my current diet is cookie-deficient and my body is crying out for cookies. Good thing I'm too lazy to actually make them.

When it comes to Oreos, I prefer Oreo thins. With milk. Whole milk, not that skim stuff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I can take or leave Oreos. Mostly leave. There are far superior biscuits (British definition) available, why would I waste the calories on Oreos? Unless vegan, then I think they become essential to life.

I’m starting to think Oreos available in Britain are sub-par to American Oreos. Too many Brits saying the same thing.

I'm an American and Oreos aren't my cup of tea either. It's a good thing the cookie aisle is so big!

Same here. Nothing on a really good homemade chocolate chip cookie, or Snickerdoodle, or peanut butter. I like cookies to be slightly moist (sorry, I know that's an awful word) throughout, and don't like the hard pieces, cream filling (or whatever you call it) combo that much. I don't hate them, but they aren't my favorite or anything I particular long for ever.

So SO SO glad @Carlos_421 is back!!!!

I love oreos- I'll eat the whole sleeve.
    BUT a few things.
    1.) if they are knock offs- they suck. they taste funny- they are soggy- the cream is wrong- whatever- WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    2.) if there are plate of fresh homemade CC cookies- warm- and soft- they win over oreos.
    3.) if no milk is available- I typically take off one side lick the cream and am done with that shenanigans. Oreos IMHO- require milk.

I haven't had an oreo thin- but considering I like double stuff and mega stuff- I'm not really holding my breath- I my head I imagine like they would be an inferior thin mint- minus the minty part.

Can someone please give me the proper "tastes like"? b/c I'm guessing not minty thin mints are... off base.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I've had Oreos in America too........
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

BUT a few things.
    1.) if they are knock offs- they suck. they taste funny- they are soggy- the cream is wrong- whatever- WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    2.) if there are plate of fresh homemade CC cookies- warm- and soft- they win over oreos.
    3.) if no milk is available- I typically take off one side lick the cream and am done with that shenanigans. Oreos IMHO- require milk.

I haven't had an oreo thin- but considering I like double stuff and mega stuff- I'm not really holding my breath- I my head I imagine like they would be an inferior thin mint- minus the minty part.

Can someone please give me the proper "tastes like"? b/c I'm guessing not minty thin mints are... off base.

Honestly they taste to me like their regular Oreo parent. In addition to a thinner layer of cream, the cookies are thinner and I find them crisper. You also get more cookies for the calories - because duh they're smaller - but it makes me feel like I'm eating more. And while I agree a proper Oreo really needs milk, the thins can get away with a cup of tea or a glass of wine :).
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I have to say. I tried TimTams, because of @Carlos_421 's Oreo thread. They were not awesome.

I am partial to a TimTam but those are Antipodean. British biccies are magical.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

lubiscuits.com/ checkmate, Oreo.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

BUT a few things.

Honestly they taste to me like their regular Oreo parent. In addition to a thinner layer of cream, the cookies are thinner and I find them crisper. You also get more cookies for the calories - because duh they're smaller - but it makes me feel like I'm eating more. And while I agree a proper Oreo really needs milk, the thins can get away with a cup of tea or a glass of wine :).

The cream is my least favorite part of any Oreo, regardless of flavor. I've been known to peel it off and throw it away (as I run for cover now! :wink: ) I agree that the thins are crisper, and I too enjoy getting 'more' cookies per serving. I'd probably be disappointed by them if the filling was my favorite part, though.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned (as I haven't read through all the pages)...but this reminds me of the thread where someone was very adamant that 1 lb of feathers was lighter than 1 lb of rocks.

ETA: OMG, the link was posted. WOW! I am seriously surprised that thread is still up!

Pika, you seriously underestimate the power of that thread and my memory for the absurd.

That thread was from back in the day when threads rolled at 500 posts and people were getting jostled (and apparently playing some drinking game) at the end. Remember those days?

Also, props to @WinoGelato for trying to get Bohemian Rhapsody going. :lol: Things just don't get locked like they used to.

tenor.gif?itemid=4177329
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I have to say. I tried TimTams, because of @Carlos_421 's Oreo thread. They were not awesome.

I am partial to a TimTam but those are Antipodean. British biccies are magical.

I had to Google. Thanks for a new vocabulary word!
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options

1b534880-8f1b-11e5-bc39-7f2f1cc19ff5_Moistmaker.gif
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,083 Member
    Options
    It's probably been mentioned (as I haven't read through all the pages)...but this reminds me of the thread where someone was very adamant that 1 lb of feathers was lighter than 1 lb of rocks.

ETA: OMG, the link was posted. WOW! I am seriously surprised that thread is still up!

Pika, you seriously underestimate the power of that thread and my memory for the absurd.

That thread was from back in the day when threads rolled at 500 posts and people were getting jostled (and apparently playing some drinking game) at the end. Remember those days?

Also, props to @WinoGelato for trying to get Bohemian Rhapsody going. :lol: Things just don't get locked like they used to.
    tenor.gif?itemid=4177329

...also, you were seriously Joffed.

• PikaJoyJoy
    edited January 2018
    Options

tenor.gif?itemid=4177329

...also, you were seriously Joffed.

Dug-I-Do-Not-Like-The-Cone-of-Shame-Up-2009.gif?ssl=1

Deja vu. I did the cone of shame in that other thread too when I accidentally revived it way back when. LMAO.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

This doesn't take me anywhere!
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hmmm, ok just copy an paste

www.lubiscuits.com

I'm sure you've seen them around. Lu is from France I think.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

www.lubiscuits.com

I'm sure you've seen them around.

I needed to enable Flash, my bad.

I have indeed seen them.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options

www.lubiscuits.com

I'm sure you've seen them around.

I needed to enable Flash, my bad.

I have indeed seen them.

Real European chocolate, or oil, sugar, and corn starch....hmmm, tough choice. ;)
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    All I'm going to say is Hobnobs. And Chocolate Hobnobs. Bit dangerous for tea dunking though, need nerves of steel.