Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned (as I haven't read through all the pages)...but this reminds me of the thread where someone was very adamant that 1 lb of feathers was lighter than 1 lb of rocks.

ETA: OMG, the link was posted. WOW! I am seriously surprised that thread is still up!

Pika, you seriously underestimate the power of that thread and my memory for the absurd.

That thread was from back in the day when threads rolled at 500 posts and people were getting jostled (and apparently playing some drinking game) at the end. Remember those days?

Also, props to @WinoGelato for trying to get Bohemian Rhapsody going. :lol: Things just don't get locked like they used to.
    tenor.gif?itemid=4177329

...also, you were seriously Joffed.

Dug-I-Do-Not-Like-The-Cone-of-Shame-Up-2009.gif?ssl=1

Deja vu. I did the cone of shame in that other thread too when I accidentally revived it way back when. LMAO.

I saw that when I read through the last few pages of that thread. Funny!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    *Quietly raises hand......

I can take or leave Oreos. Mostly leave. There are far superior biscuits (British definition) available, why would I waste the calories on Oreos? Unless vegan, then I think they become essential to life.

I’m starting to think Oreos available in Britain are sub-par to American Oreos. Too many Brits saying the same thing.

I'm an American and Oreos aren't my cup of tea either. It's a good thing the cookie aisle is so big!

Same here. Nothing on a really good homemade chocolate chip cookie, or Snickerdoodle, or peanut butter. I like cookies to be slightly moist (sorry, I know that's an awful word) throughout, and don't like the hard pieces, cream filling (or whatever you call it) combo that much. I don't hate them, but they aren't my favorite or anything I particular long for ever.

1b534880-8f1b-11e5-bc39-7f2f1cc19ff5_Moistmaker.gif

I woo'd you, but only because there is no awesome, so I pretended it meant woo-hoo.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I can take or leave Oreos. Mostly leave. There are far superior biscuits (British definition) available, why would I waste the calories on Oreos? Unless vegan, then I think they become essential to life.

I’m starting to think Oreos available in Britain are sub-par to American Oreos. Too many Brits saying the same thing.

I'm an American and Oreos aren't my cup of tea either. It's a good thing the cookie aisle is so big!

Same here. Nothing on a really good homemade chocolate chip cookie, or Snickerdoodle, or peanut butter. I like cookies to be slightly moist (sorry, I know that's an awful word) throughout, and don't like the hard pieces, cream filling (or whatever you call it) combo that much. I don't hate them, but they aren't my favorite or anything I particular long for ever.

1b534880-8f1b-11e5-bc39-7f2f1cc19ff5_Moistmaker.gif

I woo'd you, but only because there is no awesome, so I pretended it meant woo-hoo.

That's the only kind of woo I like ;)
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Also, I just saw quoted a long post from me starting with "I'm going to be pedantic" and my first thought was "oh, dear, how tiresome did I need to be about Oreos vs. other cookies." ;-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Also, I just saw quoted a long post from me starting with "I'm going to be pedantic" and my first thought was "oh, dear, how tiresome did I need to be about Oreos vs. other cookies." ;-)

But at least you don't fidget.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I think what I said was way misunderstood. The original post asked if a calorie equals a calorie and compared foods. That’s what I was responding to.

Ah. Since there'd been 8 pages of discussion following that post, I think most of us read you as responding to what others had said already, and so assumed you were saying that we had failed to understand that foods are not all the same. At least, that's what I was (mostly) responding to, in addition to the congenital pedantry, of course. ;-)
    There were some comments about calories are all the same and that you can live off junk food and still lose weight as long as you stay in your calorie allowance.

If you read this as "all foods are the same," I think you did misunderstand, however. I am sure that people who pointed out that you can lose weight based on calories alone -- which I am certain is true -- were not recommending it or saying all foods are the same nutritionally, and the reference (if that was made) to the Twinkie study also was not recommending it, but just saying that if calories are controlled, you lose, gain, or maintain based on calories. Of course for satiety, health, quality of life, etc., what we eat is important beyond calories. I think we all do agree on that!

On the idea that you can't lose eating a poor diet. People who starve to death or anorexics often eat a poor diet (in different ways), and they obviously lose weight. Not saying a poor diet is a good idea, and I do think it makes it harder to stick to calories and probably does affect energy levels for many, which is why if you are hungry or don't feel good eating differently might be a good idea (and of course everyone should ideally pay some attention to nutrition -- for me that's common sense, so I assume everyone knows that unless they suggest otherwise).
    Some replies said that calorie is a energy measurement and yes that is true but not everyone responds to those calories the same way.

Again, I kind of think you are confusing or conflating foods and calories. Calories are fungible -- your body cannot distinguish a carrot calorie from a steak calorie from a potato chip calorie. But yes, we agree that those three foods are different and your body will get different nutrients from them and digest them/obtain the energy and nutrients from them through a somewhat different process.
    I highly believe in the CICO principal that’s why I’m using MFP to begin with but I also believe that our body is far more complex in using them. That’s just my personal opinion

Why I thought you misunderstood is that people often seem to think that saying CICO is what matters for weight loss or "a calorie is a calorie" somehow denies the complexities, and that's not actually true. I think CICO determines weight gain, loss, or maintenance, but how I can get the calorie balance I want may actually be complex or different for me than for you -- for example, some find it easier to cut carbs or eat only 2 times a day or eat lots of different little meals or focus on eating 10+ servings of vegetables or work on emotional eating or focus on activity more than food or on and on. And similarly saying "weight loss is about CICO" does not deny that satiety is important or nutrition.
    My earlier comment was supposed to be on the funny side and was widely misunderstood and I’m sorry if I offended anyone

Thanks for clarifying. I do still think there might have been a misunderstanding, as no one was saying what we eat doesn't matter, but I also apologize if I read you wrong!
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options

But at least you don't fidget.

I think that's bad, though. ;-)
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I’m just curious if anybody has any links to a scientific article or journal talking about calories in terms of if 100 calories of apples is equal to 100 calories of oreos.

Of course they're not the same. You have the Oreos with milk and the apples with peanut butter.

A calorie is like a dollar, you can get it and spend it different ways and some are better than others, but it has the same buying power.

That is an amazing analogy!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think Aussie Oreos must be like UK ones, because I'm not a fan. Though I also think Hershey's chocolate is an affornt to humankind, and Red Vines are vaguely flavoured rubber, so maybe I just have a different pallet ;)

I'm also not a fan of TimTams unless they're pulverised in a food processor, mixed with condensed milk, rolled into balls and tossed on coconut. Preferably the chewy caramel ones.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I think Aussie Oreos must be like UK ones, because I'm not a fan. Though I also think Hershey's chocolate is an affornt to humankind, and Red Vines are vaguely flavoured rubber, so maybe I just have a different pallet ;)

Red Vines are tasteless and have a weird texture, never seen the point, and we have way better chocolate than Hershey's. Oreos are fine for a packaged cookie (I'd prefer a Samoa if we are just talking packaged cookies, or, I guess, a Milano dark chocolate, although that also improves with milk). As a kid I adored Nilla wafers and milk, but I haven't had that in a scary amount of years.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Red Vines are tasteless and have a weird texture, never seen the point, and we have way better chocolate than Hershey's. Oreos are fine for a packaged cookie (I'd prefer a Samoa if we are just talking packaged cookies, or, I guess, a Milano dark chocolate, although that also improves with milk). As a kid I adored Nilla wafers and milk, but I haven't had that in a scary amount of years.

Oh, I'd take out a Girl Scout for a box of Samoas. They're the best.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Oh, I'd take out a Girl Scout for a box of Samoas. They're the best.

I really don't like Girl Scout cookies at all. But those Butter Braid breads the Boy Scouts sell? OMG.

Cv8p0I3.gif
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

Gah, I wanted homemade chocolate chip cookies SO MUCH last night! I'm not even a big cookie fan. I can only conclude my current diet is cookie-deficient and my body is crying out for cookies. Good thing I'm too lazy to actually make them.

When it comes to Oreos, I prefer Oreo thins. With milk. Whole milk, not that skim stuff.

Yes, craving cookies means you have a magnesium deficiency in your ACV receptor. It is very important to have frequent small cookie-based meals to keep your endocrine chakras in alignment.

And I concur, Oreo thins are superior :cookie:

Hmm I wonder if I could convince my husband my endocrine chakras absolutely must be aligned with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies? Oreos just don't have the same therapeutic value :tongue:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Oh to be clear, a warm chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven beats the socks off anything from a package with no contest.
    There’s a reason my Oreo thread only crowns them the best packaged cookie. :)

Also, for optimal deliciousness, Oreos are to be dunked in milk, not just long enough to get the outside wet but long enough for them to soak up the milk, making them a delicious gooey morsel of chocolatey milky bliss.

Have you never tried one of these?

e5f49c6b87fa03f38f7ec6aeef2524f0.jpg

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Twizzlers over Red Vines any day of the week. And on the Oreo front the hot cocoa flavor ones are good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Pedantry revisited, in re: A calorie is a calorie (or not) . . . .

Synecdoche is a just a figure of speech, until someone starts conflating words with the things they represent. Then, we have a nice train-wreck, bring-the-popcorn, kitten-gif MFP argument.

Someone else can have my share of the Oreos. I think they taste like two circles of dark-brown fiberboard with de-minted dollar store toothpaste between.

I want the whole bag of old-school taco flavor Doritos, though.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Oh to be clear, a warm chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven beats the socks off anything from a package with no contest.
    There’s a reason my Oreo thread only crowns them the best packaged cookie. :)

Also, for optimal deliciousness, Oreos are to be dunked in milk, not just long enough to get the outside wet but long enough for them to soak up the milk, making them a delicious gooey morsel of chocolatey milky bliss.

Have you never tried one of these?

e5f49c6b87fa03f38f7ec6aeef2524f0.jpg

The thing about Oreos isn’t just that they’re delicious (though they are). It’s also their versatility and universal awesomeness.
    Are there other cookies that are even more tasty just plain straight out of the package? Yes.
    Is there another packaged cookie that outreaches the general awesomeness of Oreos? No.