Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Great you want to make a car trade, All things being equal

Oh also, calories aren't things you can distinguish over properties like cars. They're a measurement of energy content. They're a property themselves. You can have two cars and you can compare then and tell which one is better, you can't say "this calorie is better than that calorie", that doesn't make anny goshdarn sense.

Of course it makes sense I can compare and say calories from this works better for energy and sustaining hunger the those calories

I needed to learn to eat because I never eat properly my whole life and going to experts that told me a calorie is a calorie just work on less calories and you will lose weight.

I spent so much time trying to lose weight on lean cuisine and lean pockets and every diet thing I could find in the supermarket

It wasn't until I read about how all calories are not created equal di I begin to lose weight that and learning that drinking artificial sugar all day was Also causing me to be hungry

Revolutionary, I now lose weight without trying and have way more energy then ever

It isn't the calories that are working better for energy or "sustaining hunger," it's completely different properties in the food (things like protein or fiber or whatever drives satiety for you).

The differences you're talking about have nothing to do with calories. Nothing.

None of it changes the fact that calories exist and the role they play in weight loss/gain.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Not sure what you mean a calories is a unit of measure in energy

If you have 300 calories in pure suger vrs 300 calories in complex carbs you will have difrent longevity of energy

that would be like going to the Indy 500 with a beat up old car because a car is a car

Maybe come back when you have an understanding of what 'energy' is (in the sense of 'energy balance', which is what defines how weight is lost or gained) and it will make more sense to you.

A person 1st learning to lose weight needs to know what will work in the real world

Now you're making sense. What will work in the real world is that to lose weight, you have to eat less calories than you expend. There are many, many ways to arrive there, but what matters is calories in < calories out. Period.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    How can a calorie be just a calorie as calories are supposed to = energy

In my experience I can eat bad foods and have a lot of calories and very little energy besides constant hunger
    However since changing my diet to mostly whole foods I find I have more energy less hunger on much less calories.

I had tried to lose wieght in the past with the Idea that a calorie is just a calorie and worked on cutting calories it was a constant fight and I ended up binging. Now I eat right most of the time and find still I can indulge in anything (pizza, Burgers whatever) as long as I eat good whole foods most of the time

The idea that a calorie is simply a way to measure energy in a food doesn't mean that the same calorie amounts of different types of food will translate into the exact same "feeling" of energy for everyone.

"Energy" in calorie terms is different than a feeling of energy that an individual might have.

Think of it this way: if I drink a beverage with a lot of caffeine, I may feel more energy than usual (especially if I don't have it often). This doesn't mean it is a high calorie beverage -- in fact, things like coffee don't have many calories at all. If I drink a high calorie beverage with a lot of alcohol, I might suddenly feel sleepy . . . despite the fact that I just consumed a bunch of calories.

This idea, that calories somehow magically equate to a "feeling" of energy, can be profoundly misleading. The truth is that you can have sufficient energy to run your body and still feel hungry (due to nutritional factors). In fact, you can even be consuming *more* than you need, store the excess energy as fat, and still feel low energy.

It's two completely different things.

Exacly, thats why a calorie is not a calorie

No, it's why "calorie" doesn't tell us everything we need to know about a food.

We'd never say that vitamin C isn't vitamin C because vitamin C doesn't meet our needs for fat, would we? It's the same way with calories.

A calorie *is* a calorie. It's incredibly useful information to have about a food when planning our diets, but it's not the only information that we need.

I found that advice had done more harm then good for me and kept me in a struggle for too long,

Now I know a calorie is not a calorie and I can sustain more energy and stay full on less and now I have lost 60 Lbs since last April. After reading an article how calorie is not really equal to a calorie. This was the first time I heard this and it changed my life

Yeah, when you misunderstand what a calorie is (a specific unit of measurement) and what it is telling you about a food and then attempt to use that information to craft your diet without regard to your nutritional needs, it can result in harm or unnecessary struggle.

It sounds like that is what you were doing. The problem isn't with the information, it's with your misapplication of it.

Not sure what you mean a calories is a unit of measure in energy

If you have 300 calories in pure suger vrs 300 calories in complex carbs you will have difrent longevity of energy

that would be like going to the Indy 500 with a beat up old car because a car is a car

We are taking about energy in the "physics" sense. The energy your body uses to beat your heart and grow your hair and digest your food. Not energy like how energetic you feel.

If you think the energy from one calorie obtained from food translates in some way to how energetic you feel, perhaps you should brush up on your physics and biology before continuing the discussion.

A person 1st learning to lose weight needs to know what will work in the real world

Yes, they do. And many different dieting strategies exist that work for different people. Because of the different satiety issues and behavioral issues that different people have, finding what works for someone is a personal journey. A calorie is a calorie. If you can sustain a calorie deficit and don't have medical issues that get in the way, you will lose weight. This doesn't mean that a food is equal to every other food or that people shouldn't try different things to see what works out for them. They're two separate issues.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You really can't get any simpler than calories. And then also talk about nutrition. Which is really what you're talking about. The nutritional profile of the foods you eat which make up your daily calorie needs.

Nutrition is not the same thing as calories and you're the one making it confusing.

Did we regress to page one?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I don't have the link, but I remember reading about your body spend more energy digesting the 100 cal apple( more volume, more chewing, more harder to digest fiber ect. ) than digesting 100 cal of Oreo. Therefore although the energy intake is the same your net energy gain is smaller when eating the apple.

The differences in calories burned through digestion are not enough to be significant...