Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    Thanks for linking that thread; highly entertaining. But one thing that really made me chuckle was someone bothering to woo a post from 2011.

What'smore entertaining is that the person who did that probably didn't even realize that the post was from 2011. Although, I have to admit being caught a few times and learned that on MFP, zombie invasions are real so you have to watch lol.

Yeah, I've been caught that way before! It's easy to see the date of the thread on the desktop site, but on the phone app it's tucked away at the bottom of the comment, which most people (me included) skip over to get to the next comment.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You know what's sad- I think that was largely a language issue- not a comprehension issue. I think.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    dun matter where the calorie comes from , it's a calorie.

PS ... unless its a kcal vs a calorie .... hee, hee ... cause a kcal is a lot smaller in energy value.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    dun matter where the calorie comes from , it's a calorie.

Yes and no. The bioavailability of each macro is different. Carbs are .93/1, fat is .97/1, protein .69/1, fiber about .60/1, alcohol is 1/1, if I remember correctly. In the microcosm not much of a difference between carbs and fats, but multiply that by a year and it will matter.

I believe you are trying to do a total to net conversion but even then it depends on a lot. For example, a rare steak has less net calories availed than a well done steak and whole wheat have far less net calories available than white flour. Cooked foods have more net calories than raw foods. It's not just about the macro but the food that it comes from but that's, again, conflating the topics.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You know what's sad- I think that was largely a language issue- not a comprehension issue. I think.

I thought that until it got to the copy paper v dumbbell thing, and then I was sure it was a comprehension thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Average availability is already accounted for in calorie counts.

This.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie I think that has been clearly established by all the comments. What’s different are the nutrients. You can eat empty calories or you can fuel your body with the things you eat. You know the saying: you are what you eat. While eating a clean and nutritious diet you fuel your body to function right, have more energy and feel good. I liked that example of a mile being a mile... hey I rather take the mile with umbrella and drink at 75 degree weather than the crawling across glass. Same with your calories... make them count and let them make you feel good. Calories from fiber help you poop, calories from protein help build muscles, calories from orios give you a sugar crash and increase your sugar cravings and that in turn makes it harder to stick to your calorie goal.

Do you see examples of people saying that nutrition isn't important? If so can you point them out?

What I see in this thread like every other is that calories are all that matter for weight loss, that eating a balanced nutrient dense diet is important for overall health, that satiety varies from person to person, and that context and dosage matters. If I eat a variety of foods with macro and micro nutrients, why is eating two Oreos (which is a serving) within my calorie allotment going to be an issue for me?

I'm just not sure why people feel that this is counter to what is being said in the thread?

Heh, you said much more briefly what I went on and on to say!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie I think that has been clearly established by all the comments. What’s different are the nutrients. You can eat empty calories or you can fuel your body with the things you eat. You know the saying: you are what you eat. While eating a clean and nutritious diet you fuel your body to function right, have more energy and feel good. I liked that example of a mile being a mile... hey I rather take the mile with umbrella and drink at 75 degree weather than the crawling across glass. Same with your calories... make them count and let them make you feel good. Calories from fiber help you poop, calories from protein help build muscles, calories from orios give you a sugar crash and increase your sugar cravings and that in turn makes it harder to stick to your calorie goal.

Do you see examples of people saying that nutrition isn't important? If so can you point them out?

What I see in this thread like every other is that calories are all that matter for weight loss, that eating a balanced nutrient dense diet is important for overall health, that satiety varies from person to person, and that context and dosage matters. If I eat a variety of foods with macro and micro nutrients, why is eating two Oreos (which is a serving) within my calorie allotment going to be an issue for me?

I'm just not sure why people feel that this is counter to what is being said in the thread?

Heh, you said much more briefly what I went on and on to say!

I hope that the poster comes back to discuss why we seem to have this disconnect about what I believe people are saying and what others are interpreting. This is the second time today I've asked for examples of where the gap is coming from. I feel some specifics might help us understand why we are apparently talking past each other.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Not me.

Your comment is a generalization that you've made based on your own experiences, but it's not a fact.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Sorry you have such issues, but that doesn't make it a universal truth. I ate lots of vegetables yesterday, hit my protein macro goal (actually went significantly over it) and still had room for 4 Oreos and a glass of milk after dinner and stayed within my calorie goal. No sugar crash, no cravings afterward. They were delicious!