Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The iron, I think, in spinach makes my teeth feel funny if cooked. So no to eating mountains of it.

What if you got hit on the head with 2KG of spinach? Think of how badly that would hurt because of the iron!

Would it hurt as much as 2kg of feathers tho'?
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie. Like an inch is an inch and a pound is a pound.

TBH though Id rather get hit by 10 pounds of feathers in a pillowcase than 10 pounds of bowling balls...
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie however I find it far easier to stick to my calorie goal and less likely to crave sugar if I skip the refined carbs and get plenty of my calories from protein and fats. I’m big believer that nutrient rich foods have a satiating effect.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I guess, for those who are struggling with that one:

1lb of muscle occupies less volume/space than fat. So it's accurate to state that one cubic meter of muscle is heavier than one cubic meter of fat. But a pound is a pound; a kilogram is a kilogram. If you put a pound of muscle in one pan of a balance scale and a pound of fat in the other, the pans will be even, but the pan with the muscle will hold a smaller amount.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

TBH though Id rather get hit by 10 pounds of feathers in a pillowcase than 10 pounds of bowling balls...

why?

it's still 10 pounds. It's just going to be a lot more actual surface area hitting you.
    A sake of 10 pounds of feathers is going to be like pillowcase or larger- vs a bowling ball- that's just you know- 10 pounds.

it's still going to suck. I'm so confused about why you said this.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You can have them WEIGH the same- but because one is more DENSE than the other the AMOUNT OF PHYSICAL SPACE they take up will be different in order to get them to balance the scale.
    bfgcdh3k918m.jpg
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You can have them WEIGH the same- but because one is more DENSE than the other the AMOUNT OF PHYSICAL SPACE they take up will be different in order to get them to balance the scale.
    bfgcdh3k918m.jpg

Although IIRC the difference isn't as dramatic as that image portrays. Don't ask me for sources though because lazy AF.
  • JoRocka
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Why?

Because of a lack of understanding of physics.

The reason a 10 lb pillow seems less threatening than a 10 lb bowling ball is because not all ten pounds of feathers will make simultaneous impact like the bowling ball will.
    Replace the pillowcase with something that will compact the feathers into a tight ball so that the sponginess is lost (meaning that the entire 10 lbs of feathers will make simultaneous impact) and it isn’t fun anymore.

When you compare getting hit with a ten pound bowling ball to a ten pound pillow, you’re really comparing ten pounds of bowling ball to a couple ounces (if that) of feathers, because that’s all that’s going to make impact at once. The rest of the feathers hit you later.

It’s like saying I’d rather take ten bites out of a ten pound bowl of lettuce rather than eat an entire jar of peanut butter.
    No duh, it’s because you don’t have to eat it all.

That actually may shed some light on why people try to compare 1,000 calories of lettuce to 1,000 calories of [insert favorite junk food].
    It’s because they know they ain’t gonna eat no 1,000 calories of lettuce. That, to me, further proves the point that it’s all about how many calories you eat.
    If eating lettuce means you eat fewer calories, that’s why eating lettuce works for you.
    It has nothing to do with the calories in lettuce being better than the calories in Oreos.

I think in the "getting hit by" scenario- my assumption is the material is compacted into the smallest space possible- so not just ten pounds of feathers in a big garbage bag and good luck letting it waft down and strike you- like putting them in a pillow case- or a grocery bag- smallest container possible. It would super suck.

I feel like we *may* have jumped the shark a wee bit on the calorie conversation also. LMAO
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The iron, I think, in spinach makes my teeth feel funny if cooked. So no to eating mountains of it.

What if you got hit on the head with 2KG of spinach? Think of how badly that would hurt because of the iron!

Just not 2 kg of peanut butter. Pretty sure that stuff is a nightmare to get out of one's hair.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    But if you used the crunchy PB it would probably be a good exfoliate (and moisturizer) for the face.

Cheers, h.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Isn't there an urban legend that peanut butter gets chewing gum out of hair? I think someone made it up to get people to add to the icky hair...