Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Calories are calories
    Calories are calories
    Calories are calories
    Calories are calories

giphy.gif

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Eelkov wrote: »
    Calories are calories
    Weight is Weight
    But would you rather have 2KG of lead dropped on your head or 2KG of feathers?

Just like weight calories are calories, but eating 1000 calories of lettuce vs 1000 calories of peanut butter is a big difference. Lettuce has fibre, is filling and the volume of lettuce you have to eat for that many calories is insane.... In comparison it is less than 200mg of peanut butter.

If I only ate 1000 calories of lettuce I would be extremely malnourished...

You would be better off with 1000 calories of apple pie or Bacon cheeseburgers.

Indeed...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Calories are calories
    Weight is Weight

Just like weight calories are calories, but eating 1000 calories of lettuce vs 1000 calories of peanut butter is a big difference. Lettuce has fibre, is filling and the volume of lettuce you have to eat for that many calories is insane.... In comparison it is less than 200mg of peanut butter.

Not much of this makes sense but the one that I have to challenge is the notion that lettuce is filling?

These extreme comparisons are so unhelpful. No one eats only one kind of food - and has to choose between lettuce and peanut butter, why can't a person eat both? Why always a false dilemma?

How dare you introduce common sense to this line of thinking...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Calories are calories
    Weight is Weight

I logged 5900 g of romaine lettuce, and it was actually surprisingly well rounded. Lower on fat than I would want (although 1000 cal will do that), but not bad for protein on that low a cal diet, and with that much, all 9 amino acids were covered.

But who can eat 13 lbs of romaine lettuce? It's absurd, and not healthy for the reasons monodiets are generally not a good idea. And possibly that that insane amount would have other bad effects, of course.

(Only spinach is better, nutritionally and in terms of amount, but again over 9 and a half lbs would be a struggle, and a completely insane and stupid diet that would no doubt leave you feeling poorly.)

I really am curious why people think the lettuce vs. peanut butter comparison is meaningful. Yeah, they are different, but not because one is clearly better on its own (different diets may be better with the addition of one or the other or both, depending), and -- back to the topic -- not because their calories are different or distinct or have special properties depending on where they come from.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Calories are calories
    Weight is Weight

I logged 5900 g of romaine lettuce, and it was actually surprisingly well rounded. Lower on fat than I would want (although 1000 cal will do that), but not bad for protein on that low a cal diet, and with that much, all 9 amino acids were covered.

But who can eat 13 lbs of romaine lettuce? It's absurd, and not healthy for the reasons monodiets are generally not a good idea. And possibly that that insane amount would have other bad effects, of course.

(Only spinach is better, nutritionally and in terms of amount, but again over 9 and a half lbs would be a struggle, and a completely insane and stupid diet that would no doubt leave you feeling poorly.)

I really am curious why people think the lettuce vs. peanut butter comparison is meaningful. Yeah, they are different, but not because one is clearly better on its own (different diets may be better with the addition of one or the other or both, depending), and -- back to the topic -- not because their calories are different or distinct or have special properties depending on where they come from.

The quantity of vitamin K would also be a concern even for someone with otherwise normal coagulation factors and a relatively sedentary lifestyle.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The iron, I think, in spinach makes my teeth feel funny if cooked. So no to eating mountains of it.