Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Saying "only fruits and veg" would make me think the person meant no nuts and seeds normally, although this poster identified almond butter and sweet potatoes as foods she or he would eat, so I figured a broader view of fruits and veg. (Although also seemed to be anti tofu, and tofu is a veg too, if sweet potatoes are.)

Poster doesn't identify any legumes other than edamame and peas, and to get enough protein (and a full compliment of the amino acids needed daily), I'd think it was important to include a broader range of beans and lentils (I at least couldn't consume that much edamame and peas, and would not want to have such a limited source). I'm wondering if the poster doesn't consider them adequately "vegetable." Hope that's not the case.

I might occasionally eat beans or lentils, but it’s true when I say I don’t look at them and think “vegetable”. Beans and lentils also make me feel heavy and bloated. Ugh reading my own answers makes me realize what a picky vegan i am.

Picky... And/or nutrient deficient...

You’d be surprised at how many “normal” eaters are nutrient deficient. I’d say I’m pretty good compared to most Americans.

Yes, but for vegans who tend to avoid legumes and nuts there are some specific deficiencies that may be of concern that wouldn't be a concern for many "normal" eaters. When these deficiencies manifest themselves they can help contribute to the stereotype of the "sickly vegan" which is why I think even vegans who aren't concerned about their own personal health should give it some thought so that their overall advocacy for animals isn't impacted.

Thank you. I agree. I’ll probably still keep eating the way I do, but I’m glad you said this.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Can't lose fat optimally without consuming fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

img

Really? I remember something my nutritionist said that I really liked. She said that carbs are like a fire, but to keep the fire burning you have to add sticks (or was it fuel...) which would be the fat. That was really insightful and helped me a ton!
  • UltraVegAthlete
    Options
    Saying "only fruits and veg" would make me think the person meant no nuts and seeds normally, although this poster identified almond butter and sweet potatoes as foods she or he would eat, so I figured a broader view of fruits and veg. (Although also seemed to be anti tofu, and tofu is a veg too, if sweet potatoes are.)

Poster doesn't identify any legumes other than edamame and peas, and to get enough protein (and a full compliment of the amino acids needed daily), I'd think it was important to include a broader range of beans and lentils (I at least couldn't consume that much edamame and peas, and would not want to have such a limited source). I'm wondering if the poster doesn't consider them adequately "vegetable." Hope that's not the case.

I might occasionally eat beans or lentils, but it’s true when I say I don’t look at them and think “vegetable”. Beans and lentils also make me feel heavy and bloated. Ugh reading my own answers makes me realize what a picky vegan i am.

It actually sounds a bit orthorexic -- you say you tend not to eat nuts and seeds because you are recovering from a fear of fat, don't eat the other main sources of vegan fats (avocado, coconut, and of course olives or olive oil or other oils), you focus on eating only fruit and veg and don't think of beans and lentils as a veg (and say they make you feel bad), and the diet you describe seems limited, nutrient deficient, and pretty low in calories.

I think vegan diets can be really healthy, and would say that WFPB diets are also often really healthy, but you seem to have issues with food that are a little worrisome that in your mind seem to be tied up with the idea of avoiding "bad" foods.

Maybe it is just extreme pickiness, but I'm concerned it could be something more.

It’s a bit a both. Extreme pickiness and also a fear of food and gaining weight.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Forgive me for not reading this thread all that carefully, but I really don't understand why people cannot separate energy from nutrition.

I've tried so many different analogies, let me try another one.

Let's try fabric. I don't sew, but know a little bit about it. Different fabrics work better for different things. You wouldn't upholster a chair with the same fabric you'd use to sew a blouse. You'd look for certain qualities for each of those fabrics to have, because they'd each perform differently when put to use.

And yet, when you buy the fabric, to quantify the amount, you measure it using the same implement.

The nutrition provided by food is like the qualities that fabric brings to its intended use like drape and durability. Calories are like the yardstick that the person at the sales counter uses to measure how much fabric you're buying.

Entirely different things.

Awesome!

edited to fix quote
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    That is the best analogy ever @GottaBurnEmAll.
    We need the awsome button back.

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    And you got wooed for mentioning woo. h :'(
    Thanks ladies. And yet, someone still woo'ed it :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p Never change MFP, never change.