Worst advice you've seen on these boards

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I never said that muscle weighs more than fat. I've said that the only time that muscle weighs ore than fat is if the pounds of muscles is higher than the pounds of fat.

When a person gain muscle, they gain scale weight.

Muscle is heavier than fat. People think that heavier means weighs more and that's not true.

A 10 pound dumbbell is heavier than a 10 pound bag of feather. They both weigh 10 pounds.

heav·y
    [hev-ee]
    adjective, heav·i·er, heav·i·est, noun, plural heav·ies, adverb, adjective
    1. of great weight; hard to lift or carry: a heavy load.

dense
    [dens]
    adjective, dens·er, dens·est.
    1. having the component parts closely compacted together; crowded or compact: a dense forest; dense population.

Muscle is denser than fat. A piece of muscle is smaller than a piece of fat of the same weight because it is more compacted. You could say that a piece of muscle is heavier than a piece of fat of the same size, perhaps that's what you're trying to say?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    HUH?!?

"Muscle weighs more or is heavier than fat"

Nope, a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weight a pound. One is no heavier than the other (a pound each). Muscle is denser than fat so a pound of muscle takes up less space or is more compact than a pound of fat. That is why you can lose fat and gain muscle and not have the scale change but you start to look better and your clothing fits looser.

I never said that muscle weighs more than fat. I've said that the only time that muscle weighs ore than fat is if the pounds of muscles is higher than the pounds of fat.

Muscle is heavier than fat. People think that heavier means weighs more and that's not true.

A 10 pound dumbbell is heavier than a 10 pound bag of feather. They both weigh 10 pounds.

Bless your cotton socks.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    iloled128536505881047908.jpg

heav·y
    [hev-ee]

dense
    [dens]
    1. having the component parts closely compacted together; crowded or compact: a dense forest; dense population.

Muscle is denser than fat. A piece of muscle is smaller than a piece of fat of the same weight because it is more compacted. You could say that a piece of muscle is heavier than a piece of fat of the same size, perhaps that's what you're trying to say?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    heav·y
    [hev-ee]

dense
    [dens]

5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat = 5 pounds

5 pounds of muscle would not weigh more than 5 pounds of fat, but it will be heavier than 5 pounds of fat.

The only time that muscle weighs more than fat, is if the pounds of muscle is higher than the pounds of fat.

Example: 10 pounds of muscle weighs more than 5 pounds of fat.
  • Jorra
    Options
    heav·y
    [hev-ee]

dense
    [dens]

5 pounds of muscle would not weigh more than 5 pounds of fat, but it will be heavier than 5 pounds of fat.

The only time that muscle weighs more than fat, is if the pounds of muscle is higher than the pounds of fat.

I give up. I'm a science teacher, not English.
  • killagb
    Options
    Heavier does mean weighs more. More dense is the term you seek.

Killagb, which one out of the two weighs more and how much more does it weigh: A 10 pound bag of feathers or 10 pound bag of rice?
    What%2Bthe%2B****.JPG
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    heav·y
    [hev-ee]

dense
    [dens]

If you say that something is heavier than something else, that DOES mean that it weighs more. I think I know what you are trying to say, but in the above quote, instead of using "heavier" you should say "more dense" or "smaller" or "more compact" or something like that.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    heav·y
    [hev-ee]

dense
    [dens]

The English major in me just exploded.

PEOPLE, Vocabulary is important.
  • killagb
    Options
    heav·y
    [hev-ee]

dense
    [dens]

If you say that something is heavier than something else, that DOES mean that it weighs more. I think I know what you are trying to say, but in the above quote, instead of using "heavier" you should say "more dense" or "smaller" or "more compact" or something like that.

I said that a long while back :laugh:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Dense is the word alright....
  • chapagonzo
    Options
    So humorous....I am still kinda stuck on the early uterus comments......wtf
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Dense is the word alright....

QFT
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat = 10 pounds

5+5=10

1 pound = 1 pound.

In other news, my uterus fell out.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

Would you say that a 10 pound bag of rice weighs more than a 10 pound bag of feathers or would you say that a 10 pound bag of rice is heavier than a 10 pound bag of feathers?

If you say that a 10 pound bag of rice weighs more than a 10 pound bag of feathers, then tell me how much more does it weighs.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I said that a long while back :laugh:

And yet we keep trying.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Hey!

Look! A pony!
  • frostiegurl
    Options

5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat = 10 pounds

5+5=10

1 pound = 1 pound.

In other news, my uterus fell out.

Want mine?
  • Jorra
    Options

Heavier doesn't mean weighs more, not when it comes down to muscle and fat that weighs the same.

Would you say that a 10 pound bag of rice weighs more than a 10 pound bag of feathers or would you say that a 10 pound bag of rice is heavier than a 10 pound bag of feathers?

If you say that a 10 pound bag of rice weighs more than a 10 pound bag of feathers, then tell me how much more does it weighs.

You wouldn't say EITHER of those things! Both are wrong. Neither is heavier than the other BECAUSE they weigh the same! Dear lord.
  • frostiegurl
    Options
    The irony of some of the recent posts makes me chuckle.
  • marissa626
    Options
    i love the one about the uterus! hahaa!