Do you pump your own?

Replies

• eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    rlaramee2 wrote: »
    Also "smell like gasoline all day"? Do Oregonian's not realize the gas goes IN the gas tank, not on your clothes?

Some people just can't hold their hose properly

Some people just have a nozzle and no hose

Not that I know or anything
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2018
    I've pumped my own since my adolescent years (my mom would have us do it once in a while when we were younger). There was one gas station that had an attendant where I used to live, and I tried to go there in the winter months when I could, but it was usually too out of the way. One time as a young teen, I was visiting family with my mom in the philly area, and she took a wrong turn and got us lost. She stopped to get gas and got yelled at for trying to pump it. She didn't realize she had driven into New Jersey, and that's when I learned that there are people in this world that can drive but not pump gas. That concept boggled me.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    I couldn't trust someone else to shake that hose and make sure to get those last drops of compressed dinosaur in the tank.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    csbnga wrote: »
    I couldn't trust someone else to shake that hose and make sure to get those last drops of compressed dinosaur in the tank.

Maybe you just haven't experienced the right attendants.
  • NewlifeinNW
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg
  • pudgy1977

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg

See that's where you went wrong. Try this one next time....

n1fb4kf5fefl.jpg
  • NewlifeinNW

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg

n1fb4kf5fefl.jpg

Im guessing thats extra
  • Find_Me_Again
    Find_Me_Again Posts: 299 Member

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg

n1fb4kf5fefl.jpg

Im guessing thats extra

$20 extra for a kiss

At least shes tallish with the shoes

I have a hot cousin that looks like her.
  • pudgy1977

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg

n1fb4kf5fefl.jpg

Im guessing thats extra

$20 extra for a kiss

Bwahahahah....But is it his cousin?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg

n1fb4kf5fefl.jpg

Im guessing thats extra

$20 extra for a kiss

Kissing cousin?
  • NewlifeinNW

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg

n1fb4kf5fefl.jpg

Im guessing thats extra

$20 extra for a kiss

Kissing cousin?

I'd pay my cousins not to pump my gas
  • Find_Me_Again
    Find_Me_Again Posts: 299 Member

It was this guy
    o6vppe4bkcqz.jpg

n1fb4kf5fefl.jpg

Im guessing thats extra

$20 extra for a kiss

Kissing cousin?

Since it's legal here I can admit, yes.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I don't mind pumping. I also kind of like the way it smells.

1m9fsbkb8rmj.jpg
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    I live in NJ where they pump it for us just like in Oregon -- and the gas is cheaper in our state than the neighboring states.... figure that one out!

Yeah but they just raised gas prices - it's not that much cheaper there than in my part of PA. Sucks. Plus your property taxes are, in general, to the moon compared to mine..lol
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    Also, that's what the gloves they provide are for, so your hands don't smell like it.

Wait, they provide gloves??
    Also, that's what the gloves they provide are for, so your hands don't smell like it.

They provide gloves where you are?
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

Where is this? Does every customer get a fresh pair? Do they recycle them?

England. Yes you throw them away in a bin (also provided) afterwards. Some places have better quality gloves than others. Usually just polythene throw away ones.

Seems like a huge waste to me!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    26166238_870911343071737_4858718691437080565_n.jpg?oh=6e8e22cb17afb936155a34e1e3d41885&oe=5AB27A44
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 219 Member
    As someone who's never owned a car but managed to pump gas for his girlfriend without blowing up her car on the first attempt let me say: any able-bodied people who are complaining about this are absolutely bonkers.
  • OkChargerFan
    OkChargerFan Posts: 371 Member
    I've always pumped my own.
    I've been siphoned a few times too. I'll leave that for another thread...
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Always. My company pays for my gas and gives me vechles so it's always credit card. I hate sitting around doing nothing.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    This thread wins the internet. Are people really that shook about pumping their own gas? I've been doing it since I had my first motorbike at 8.
    If you can't manage a nozzle without soiling yourself, you shouldn't be on the road. But then I'm of the mind that if you can't change a flat, you shouldn't be either
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member

I love the smell
  • Apparently, there is a concern that ‘transients’ will steal children while gas is being pumped. As a ‘POTG’ (Person on the Go, which is our preferred noun) I take offense to this accusation.

We are a mobile people who are constantly moving as silently as possible. Have you ever tried to get a child to walk? Or run? And remain quiet at the same time?!

No. You haven’t. It’s impossible. The whining would start immediately. “Where are we going? I don’t want to walk! Who are you? You’re not my mom. I’m hungry. I’m thirsty. I’m bored. Can I play on your phone? WHY NOT!?!?!?!?!?”

I’m already annoyed just thinking about it.

Trust me. Your entitled kids are safe in your Prius. Just make sure you give them a screen to bury their cherubim face in lest they begin to fade into boredom and start accusing you of neglect.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member

You get gloves!! The thing I hate about pumping is touching the "thingy" handle? I don't know who handles it before me and I'm sure people with questionable hygiene have touched it and that is my main problem.

Also all stations are self serve here. Some are switching to you have to pre pay too
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »

I love the smell

h2npqza9qx63.gif
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    HAHAHA I saw this all over FB. I was raised in DE and used to have to help my fellow high-schoolers that would drive in from NJ pump their gas. Then when I moved to Jersey I definitely appreciated the fact that I didn't have to get out of my car on rainy or snowy days, but I still always pump whenever we went elsewhere.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I suppose change is difficult for some people but did they really never in 62 years leave the state and pump their own gas?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »

You get gloves!! The thing I hate about pumping is touching the "thingy" handle? I don't know who handles it before me and I'm sure people with questionable hygiene have touched it and that is my main problem.

I've noticed most of the stations in my area have added Purell dispensers.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Oregonian here. when i moved here 30 years ago I was annoyed that I couldnt pump my own gas. you have to wait for an attendant and many of them are quite surly, (not all, many are also super friendly, even after days of rain and wind). Sitting inside your car while waiting isnt a luxury either. Now when I go to different states where I have to pump im like er...do what now? I for one cant wait for them to implement this into the larger cities in or.