Intermittent Fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    IF is an interesting subject. I'm glad I found people talking about it. I once just disregarded it until I used it with low carb, high fat dieting and wow, I am back to losing half a pound a week.

Of course at first I Iost about a pound a day but we all know weight loss like that is probably mostly water. So when I had some salt and plenty of water, my weight loss went back to more reasonable levels.

But it got me out of my weight loss stall...I had lost 20 pounds on LCHF but though I was still losing inches off my waist, I wasn't losing weight. I needed to lose another 20 pounds to get back to a normal weight, BMI not in overweight category. A 500 calorie a day fat fast kicked it off then I went to one meal a day. When I was just low calorie, I could never make it through a day of 1 meal only, without being so ravenously hungry I would eat 2000 calories in one sittting. I just couldn't help it. I was just too hungry. But combining it with Low Carb eating and mild exercise and wow. I'm back on the road of weight loss again.

So, is anyone else getting good results with combining low carb and IF? Will I eventually stall out again? Will my hunger levels go crazy again? Anyone with direct experience?
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    I had a go over 6 months ... stabilised after about 4 months however month 5 reintroducing 500 calorie into the late mesl .. it went yoyo. I couldn't keep it working. Wasn't for me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being dragged into this debate, by any chance is "metabolic confusion" supposed to refer to metabolic flexibility? Which is normal physiology for the body to burn predominantly fat during rest and low intensity activities, and relying more on glycogen during intense activity.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    I think of it as a side shoot of Calorie shifting....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    danrhess wrote: »
    What do you all think about intermittent fasting?.

It's simply an eating pattern. Can be as healthy or as un-healthy as any other. What you eat, and more importantly, how much you eat are the drivers...

• Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My metabolism is confused for sure. It’s lost it’s way and has not returned to me in years.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If we were able to "confuse" our metabolisms we would have become extinct a long time ago...

Word play. ... funny. ...calorie shifting... ssme thing..... if thr Neanderthals birthdate had been 2% higher we easily could have been instead.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If we were able to "confuse" our metabolisms we would have become extinct a long time ago...

Word play. ... funny. ...calorie shifting... ssme thing..... if thr Neanderthals birthdate had been 2% higher we easily could have been instead.

More then likely no significant advantage, whatever you want to call it...
  • freedomofnow
    freedomofnow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have to give a shoutout to IF aswell. Lately I haven't been feeling like eating in the evenings at all, so I've sort of eased my way into it a little. The only real difference I had to make was delaying my breakfast a little bit. So between noon and 8pm I eat whatever I feel like basically. I don't binge or anything, but I have healthy meals with meat and lots of veggies and some carbs.

I've only done this for some days now but I've seen a consecutive loss every single day, and I think what I really am starting to like about it is the not feeling stuffed, in fact I've come to appreciate the lightness of not being constantly in a digestive process. That lightness seems to just get better and stay throughout the day so it's going to be fun to see how this develops. Especially it's going to be interesting to see how this copes with my golfing season that's about to start.
  • Kycatz101
    Kycatz101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started this last week. My goal is 1200 calories for the day and I have meals about 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. I like it simply because I'm full after my meals. When I divided my calories throughout the day, I never really felt full. (And I'm eating the same type foods, barring the oatmeal I'd usually have in the morning.) When I get up in the morning, I'm a bit hungry, but I'm not starving or having cravings. It hasn't been difficult waiting until the early afternoon. Some days I could go longer and one day I might go for a 24-hour fast. I'm happy doing this for now.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »

I feel a bit dense, but what's "metabolic confusion"?

Nonsense...

Its not ... its valid ... The metabolic confusion is a strstetgy and employers a concept of dieting known as “calorie shifting”... its what you want ftom intermittent fasting.

It's not what I want from intermittent fasting. What I want is to be able to use most of my cals in the evening when I find I'm hungrier than during the day. It's a calorie intake/timing restriction for me, nothing more.

This is exactly what intermittent fasting should be used for. Satisfying your hunger and sticking with your caloric and nutritional goals. Many people find it easier and more satisfying to have fewer large meals in a smaller window vs. trying to plan/manage those calories throughout a long day. Personally, I love going to bed with a full belly.