Do you all have tips on how to portion out your food

Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    I personally think the easiest way to portion out snacks like chips is to read how many servings are in the package and then take some sandwich bags and make that many bags of the snack. For instance if you get a bag of chex mix and the entire bag is 8 servings then you should make 8 little bags of chex mix and be close to the correct portion size.

Please add how you portion out food below <3

I use a food scale.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    For me the portion sizes on the label are a curiosity and little else (I'm often interested to know whether I eat more or less than what they think the portion size is). However, when I'm actually going to eat it I go by how much I want and can fit into my calories. Then I get the scale out.

I'm extremely grateful our labels show nutrition info per 100g. I don't even bother looking at food "per serving"!

Gah. I wish the US would get on board with this. Stupid imperial system.

I think they are. A majority of the foods I get and weigh have gram measurements on them.

I think more and more US products are getting grams, but the Australian labeling system (which shows both nutrition per "serving" and then nutrition per 100g) makes it so much easier to compare. No math needed if one product's serving is 30g and the others is 55g.

Oh I see what you mean now. That would make it easier when comparing.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    If you aren't worried down to the gram or 1/10 of an ounce, use a uniform sized container and set your recipe to the total amount divided by the number of containers it fills. I do this with chicken because I cook 2 pounds, but I never cut it into identical portions so I average it out and say each portion is 4oz.
  • jennrissa
    jennrissa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A good scale will be your best friend. I learned it the hard way, and by getting used to it in culinary classes. Use seperate containers and weight everything out. Any food item with a nutritional label will have ounces and grams on the side by the serving size.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Usually I weigh it on a scale. Like chips or whatever. It’s easier than counting the number of chips and more accurate. Plus I’m not wasting a bunch of plastic bags
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I same was most are saying here, I weigh my food on a scale, and all my food goes in a ziplock for the day (each thing is separated in its own little tupperware). I have 5 baggies all made up for the work week and can just grab and go before work.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everything on my scale. For bigger bags of things like chips or popcorn, sometimes I weigh out multiple individual servings into multiple ziplocs at once, but most of the time I just weigh out one portion at a time, put it in a bag for work or whatever, and go.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I weigh almost everything on my scale. For bigger bags of things like chips or popcorn, sometimes I weigh out multiple individual servings into multiple ziplocs at once, but most of the time I just weigh out one portion at a time, put it in a bag for work or whatever, and go.

Thats a smart thing to do