What was your first “I’m getting fat” realization?

Options

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    arobey11 wrote: »
    Bullying when I was very, very young. Wasn't even overweight, didn't know what 'fatty' realistically meant. Turned into something of a prophecy as I turned to food for comfort.
    But these days it's my chin (and whether or not there's two of them) and heart burn levels.

Yes!! I have to carry Tums around like I have some sort of weird addiction when I'm not eating right, and gaining weight. When I'm not overeating and I'm either losing or maintaining weight, I don't have that problem. Whoda thunk it? :)

Yeah, yeah! Get to a certain point on the scale and BAM on comes the heartburn. I hear the best guess as to why that is, is that the extra weight puts more pressure on the stomach and that in turn forces the acid up the eusophagus.

It does! I used to suffer quite a lot and it disappeared when I lost my excess flab. Sadly, for a number of not very good reasons, some weight has gone back on (far from all of it thank goodness) and I bent down to pick some stuff up in the garden and POW there it was back again! Did send me running back to mfp though - on my way down again now :)
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    always how my clothes fit! I can always tell immediately and try to "reign it in" at that point.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    When my clothes felt uncomfortably tight.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo pooch, mood swings, tighter jeans, and waking up without a flat tummy.
  • ChubbyMcChubface
    ChubbyMcChubface Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    At birth
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I suspected I was getting fat about a month or two post-tobacco quit when I had to cut the fixed "elastic" in the waistband of my Class A greens skirt to be able to fit into it for a mandatory funeral attendance. The slacks still fit at the time because the waistband sat higher but there was no way in Hades I was going to wear polyester pants in El Paso, TX, in late summer. That was around 155 lbs.

I knew I was officially fat when I had to put on BDUs that winter, one last time, after 30+ days terminal leave for out-processing and felt (and looked) like a sausage stuffed in a casing two diameter sizes too small. It was embarrassing. I didn't button the pants because I physically couldn't and prayed my top was still long enough to cover the fact. That was somewhere in the 176-182 lbs. range.

Right on point with BMI charts for my height.

• cozylaly
    cozylaly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My pants and shirts were getting too tight. When I had to go a size up in my shirt and two sizes in my pants I knew enough was enough.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I looked at pictures of t-shirts getting tighter and tighter on me...
  • freakyfantasy
    freakyfantasy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always knew, I just wasn't feeling motivated to do anything about it. Until one day I got up on the scale and it edged at 99 kg. I told myself that enough is enough and I refuse to go to three- digit numbers.