The Ketogenic diet

Options
Has anyone ever tried it before and if you have what has your experience been like and what are some tips and tricks .

Replies

• Leiose
    Leiose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the Keto subreddit? There's also a MFP group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1494-reddit-keto

:)
  • Leiose
    Leiose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I've been doing keto, and I think it's the best. I feel great eating this way, and it seems to work really well.

Top tips from me: Definitely get over any fear of fat you might still have! Also, be careful about checking nutrition facts and label.... carbs and sugars lurk in the most unlikely places! Don't forget to get enough fiber (I like to do an avocado a day -- it's the perfect keto food)!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    These are the best places to look for more support and advice. These MFP groups have thousands of members.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Here is the main questions:

Are you ok with cutting out a ton of healthy foods like fruits? Are you satiated by fats? Do you have a medical condition? Is this something you can sustain? Are you a volume eater?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Are you ok with cutting out a ton of healthy foods like fruits? Are you satiated by fats? Do you have a medical condition? Is this something you can sustain? Are you a volume eater?

Healthy foods, like fruit, and the less healthy foods, like baking, can be replaced with healthy low carb foods like eggs, meat, nuts, and veggies. There is no need for a net loss of healthy foods in the dietary switch to a low carb diet.

I think that could be worded better as: would you be okay with restricting fruit and avoiding most baked goods?

Your other question are good ones to consider. :)
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Healthy foods, like fruit, and the less healthy foods, like baking, can be replaced with healthy low carb foods like eggs, meat, nuts, and veggies. There is no need for a net loss of healthy foods in the dietary switch to a low carb diet.

I think that could be worded better as: would you be okay with restricting fruit and avoiding most baked goods?

Here is what I mean about healthy foods (many of which have been consistently shown to improve metabolic health): oats, fruits, high GI veggies and starches (i.e., sweet potatoes), lentils, legumes, fibrous whole grains.

Don't get me wrong, you can definitely be healthy with keto, especially if there is a larger focus on fatty fishes, plant based fats and lean proteins (essentially, tons of MUFA/PUFA). Hell, even I don't think SFA are really much of an issue, but that shouldn't be a primary component.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Here is what I mean about healthy foods (many of which have been consistently shown to improve metabolic health): oats, fruits, high GI veggies and starches (i.e., sweet potatoes), lentils, legumes, fibrous whole grains.

Don't get me wrong, you can definitely be healthy with keto, especially if there is a larger focus on fatty fishes, plant based fats and lean proteins (essentially, tons of MUFA/PUFA). Hell, even I don't think SFA are really much of an issue, but that shouldn't be a primary component.

I figured you meant something along those foods, but I think many who go low carb drop the less healthy foods first like soda, candy, raisins, lots of baked goods. I don't see many people starting keto from a woe that already included mainly healthy carb foods like you listed.

I only mentioned it because it sounded sort of like less healthy foods must be eaten to eat low carb, which is not true. Not that this is what you think, but others could think that way.

I do suppose some may go from a diet rich in greens, fruits, fibrous veggies and whole grains (not refined) to a diet heavy in pork rinds and fat bombs, but I haven't seen it often... well, ever that I can remember. People usually restrict less nutritious (fewer vitamins, minerals or fibre) carbs first. JMO

As an aside, I was re-reading Phinney and Volek's The art of Low Carbohydrate Performance, and they were discussing how ketogenic diets high in saturated fats may be healthier for those on a low carb diet who are fat adapted because their bodies now tend to use saturated fats for fuel more readily. It's a primary fuel and now desirable as a dietary source.... I found it interesting because diets high in saturated fats and carbohydrates seem to be a less healthy combination for some.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I figured you meant something along those foods, but I think many who go low carb drop the less healthy foods first like soda, candy, raisins, lots of baked goods. I don't see many people starting keto from a woe that already included mainly healthy carb foods like you listed.

I only mentioned it because it sounded sort of like less healthy foods must be eaten to eat low carb, which is not true. Not that this is what you think, but others could think that way.

I do suppose some may go from a diet rich in greens, fruits, fibrous veggies and whole grains (not refined) to a diet heavy in pork rinds and fat bombs, but I haven't seen it often... well, ever that I can remember. People usually restrict less nutritious (fewer vitamins, minerals or fibre) carbs first. JMO

As an aside, I was re-reading Phinney and Volek's The art of Low Carbohydrate Performance, and they were discussing how ketogenic diets high in saturated fats may be healthier for those on a low carb diet who are fat adapted because their bodies now tend to use saturated fats for fuel more readily. It's a primary fuel and now desirable as a dietary source.... I found it interesting because diets high in saturated fats and carbohydrates seem to be a less healthy combination for some.

I have known a lot of people go from a crappy diet full of carbs to a crappy diet of fried fats because it makes you a fat burner, lol.

• nvmomketo
    Options

I have known a lot of people go from a crappy diet full of carbs to a crappy diet of fried fats because it makes you a fat burner, lol.

There are those. LOL
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider: do you have the money for it? Maintaining a keto lifestyle is very expensive in some countries as meat and fish are the most expensive things, as are nuts and almonds, good oils, avocados, etc. In some countries bread, rice and potatoes are cheap, fruit and veggies, etc.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2018
    Options

There are those. LOL

What's funny is that none of the Atkins funded studies do that. They also incorporate tons of MUFA/PUFA and fiber, but rarely even demonstrate the keto diet when it's nothing processed/fried meats, and pork rinds.. I wonder why, lol.

Sorry to deviate a bit OP.