Do you ever wish someone had "called you out" over your weight?

Options

Replies

• birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As someone who was made aware of my weight elementary school onwards I say no... I was chubby from probably 2nd grade onwards and was teased for it. Weight hadn't been a consideration for me at that point (and shouldn't have been in my opinion. Stick to educating kids about healthy eating habits and giving plenty of opportunity for play.) but I soon to began to become very self conscious about my body. I started to hate doing physical activity around other people which is terrible for anyone, especially a kid, to experience. Even people trying to be nice and saying it looked like I'd lost weight at different points in my life mortified me and often caused me to eat more for reasons I cannot quite figure out. The negative body image I developed from being "called out" did nothing to help me and I think actively hurt my lifestyle choices. Maybe it would have been different if I was gaining weight as an adult but as a lifelong fat person it took accepting myself and my body to make positive changes in my life. I've been learning to enjoy exercise again after the awful years of PE and not hating myself has the bonus of helping me avoid emotional eating etc.
  • Psalm1139
    Psalm1139 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't think people should have called you out, but I think your parents should have set some paramaters to help you maintain a healthy weight while you were a child. My sister was overweight as an older child and teenager. When she was about 17 she worked really hard to lose the weight and had kept it off (more or less) for the last few years. I am a lot older than her and I kind of resented my parents for not reigning her in. My dad didn't really think about it, and my mom was anorexic/bulimic as a teenager and young adult, so it didn't get addressed. She would eat so much, and always request snacks, and got so big. I was mad at my mom on my sister's behalf because she was letting her issues get in the way of my sister's health and happiness. I think that parents have a responsibility to ensure their children are offered healthy food, in healthy amounts, with room for treats sometimes.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I was 224lbs by the time I was 14, 280 when I graduated high school three years later. Everyone felt like it was ok to tell me about my weight and did. My family, teachers, doctors. I cursed them in my head and still mashed to have a great 4 years of high school and pretty fun early 20s. I started seriously trying to lose when I was 22 but I dnk jack about what I was doing and nothing worked. At age 25, 310lbs, I decided enough was enough and did something drastic about it and had gastric bypass. I regained some, lost it again through exercise and logging on MFP. This isn't about my bypass or anything like that; my point is that after a lifetime of being harassed about my weight, nothing changed til I was ready and willing to change it.
  • deeblues13
    deeblues13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No fatshaming is discusting if your overweight theres a good chance you know about it why does someone feel the need to comment
    And also other peoples comments is what makes body images issues i know for me anyways even being a dress size over what i want to someone will comment its just annoying and other peoples opinons shouldnt be the motivation for your weight loss
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No. I don't think that is for anyone to say unless I bring up the subject.

That said, close friends would invalidate me when I confided in them about being uncomfortable with my weight gain.

It seems to be a thing that no matter how much weight you gain that some people seem incapable of stopping their bs invalidation i.e. "no you're not fat" (no I actually was and am), "you're just a different shape" and "it's just what happens when you get older" (when I was in my 20s too!) etc. drives me nuts. i just think why can't we have a genuine conversation about eating, weight, and how we all manage it?
  • Mikkimomof6
    Mikkimomof6 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was an overweight kid with healthy weight parents and siblings (highest as a teen/young adult was 205 and I'm only 5'4)..I was very aware of it and I think it did more harm than good in terms of my sense of self worth. Yes, I have worked hard to get it into a normal range (although after having twins 8 months ago I am kind of starting over, lol)...and some of that motivation probably comes from always knowing I needed to make a change. Hard to say how things may have turned out if I always felt accepted for my physical appearance I guess.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you have to decide for yourself to get healthier or it won't stick. I've been overweight since about the 4th or 5th grade. I was over 300# when I started college. I tried diets over the years, lost some but always gained it back. It took open-heart surgery at age 59 six months ago to give me that A-Ha! moment and realize it isn't about dieting, it's about changing my lifestyle. Happily, my wife used my heart surgery as her own incentive to join me in this journey to health.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I didn't start gaining until I was an adult. I had ups and downs. The only people who ever pointed it out was my mother (in a very cruel manner, which didn't encourage me away from drinking and overeating as coping strategies) and a doctor I was working with (I was over 230lb, when he asked as gently as possible if I realized how bad my weight was getting). I was in deny at my highest, and refused to get on a scale, which is why I don't know my true starting weight. I can take a good guess based on the fit (or lack of fit) of my biggest clothing.

All this to say that for me, it was a matter of approach. Someone approaching me in a caring and concerned manner had a much greater impact on me than someone telling me what a fat and horrible person I am. I knew I was fat, still am, but less so. No longer in denial though.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No, it causes even more self hatred and (if repeated enough) strains the relationship you have with the person. I can still vividly remember a few comments my mom made when I was young. I wasn't even overweight then, she was just upset because the piece of cake I took was too big. It certainly never stopped me from gaining it later. But I'm surprised your doctor never brought it up to you, this is the best person to bring up these things because it's strictly from a health perspective.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sorry had something but got too personal.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    My problem, as a fat kid, was that no one really told me I could lose the weight or how. I honestly didn't think I could do it. I wish I had dealt with it a long time ago. I feel like my parents didn't really help me. I was called out for being heavy by my peers though and had awful elementary and middle school years.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was called out when I was obese. Mainly by my mother and my sister. "Stop being a pig." "Your legs are getting fat." "You've put on a lot of weight." Etc. Am actually grateful (In a weird way). Sugarcoating isn't always the answer. Tough love works lol.
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello–

Wow, didn't expect so many responses, and sorry I haven't been back (I try and limit my internet time, successfully or not...)

"Calling out" was probably the wrong terminology and I apologize. I should have probably written "made you aware" but to be honest it didn't cross my mind that the former implied that much negativity. Mea culpa.

In response to "what would I personally have done had I been aware?"– it's difficult to answer. At the younger end of my weight gain (9-13 or so), probably not much. In my teens, something. What, I'm not certain but it wasn't the dark ages, the Internet existed and I've always been rabid for research so it is entirely within the realm of possibility that I would have figured something out. By my early 20s, of course, I had no excuse other than not stepping on the scale and realizing how far out of control things had become. Hitting 202 on the doctor's scale was a bucket of ice water. I actually woke up and realized why my joints were hurting and I was getting out of breath climbing up stairs, even though I was only 23.

I suppose it makes a big difference on whether you were actually aware you were overweight or not. As I said, I didn't really know. Aside from an anorexic grandmother, the majority of my family were or are overweight. My mother tried every popular diet in the book and pretty much made the family go along with her, so I was yo-yo dieting by proxy for about 15 years. I was aware of calories and nutrition from a very young age, but I figured it was a grown-up thing and I'd deal with it when I got to Mom's age. That's why I wish I had known sooner, so I wouldn't have to be figuring this out at Mom's age.

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses, it's been a really fascinating read.

~VL
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it wouldnt have made a difference.

just like quitting any bad habit or addiction, YOU have to want to make the changes necessary.

I quit smoking when *I* was ready
    I lost weight when *I* was ready

Someone bitching to me about it would have only made me resentful.
  • Ekoth1017
    Ekoth1017 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother called me out on my weight all of the time. But then again she was half my size in height and was 100 pounds soaking wet. Looking back I know she had good intentions. <3