Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Etiquette on PMs?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    As long as the PM isn't creepy ...
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member

I second this, haha!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    If you send a friend request always include a message saying why you want to be friends with them. I tend to just decline requests without a message.

Ditto.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    If it's polite, go for it. I second all the above for non creepy, non junk photo PMs.

Might be controversial of me though but, if it's part of the forum conversation and there's no reason to want it private, leave it in the forum conversation. I get annoyed when people PM a continuation of a conversation I'm already having for no reason other than they want to one on one. Especially when you take umbrage to a point I make publicly and want to fight about it in private.

But i also hate getting PMs and avoid answering where possible. I have the form and my wall to chat on. If you want to chat, send a friend request and then chat on my wall.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    abbefaria4 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I’m new here. What is the etiquette regarding PMs. If we find someone posting interesting stuff, is it ok to message them or do people hate that?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Not sure there are any specific rules, but as far as I can tell, there isn't a lot of it going on. I send very few, and receive very few. I only remember one person sending messages that hinted of non-MFP intentions. But even then the person was being overly cautious, and I certainly wasn't going to be the one to escalate it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I don't mind getting PMs unless they are the spammy MLM products. Even then I usually send a short message back saying not interested, thank you. As long as the person is not pestering me (asking why I haven't replied yet etc) I'm okay with them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    If it's polite, go for it. I second all the above for non creepy, non junk photo PMs.

Might be controversial of me though but, if it's part of the forum conversation and there's no reason to want it private, leave it in the forum conversation. I get annoyed when people PM a continuation of a conversation I'm already having for no reason other than they want to one on one. Especially when you take umbrage to a point I make publicly and want to fight about it in private.

But i also hate getting PMs and avoid answering where possible. I have the form and my wall to chat on. If you want to chat, send a friend request and then chat on my wall.

Agreed.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    jayemes wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I I'm really not interested in just chatting with random people via PM.
    Good to know, since I was just going to pm you and ask you how your day was ;)

No chatting for you! ;)
  • tammysneddon1
    tammysneddon1 Posts: 9 Member
    I’m with the As long as they are not creepy lol
  • elphie754
    i dont care if i get messages.

unless its like one of the 3 i got this week that were all incarnations of 'you wanna hook up, girl'

those get you blocked. lol

Does that ever actually work in their favor? I feel like it had have worked at least once since people keep sending those types of messages. That or they are so desperate that all normal social etiquette goes out the window. My rule of thumb is, if you wouldn't say it to someone you are talking to in person, then it is not appropriate to send in a PM.

I thought this was going to be etiquette on PMS and was legitimately looking forward to some answers

The first rule about PMS is you don't talk about [someone else's] PMS.

Second rule of PMS, chocolate and salty snacks MUST be available at all times.

• elphie754
    edited January 2018

Aw man, you mean I can't send scary stories to random people?? Now my week is ruined.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

Aw man, you mean I can't send scary stories to random people?? Now my week is ruined.

Please direct all these PMs to me
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,661 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Agreed.

I agree with this too.
    The only times I have PMed off a thread was when a side comment peeked my interest and would take the thread off topic.

There has been a few occasions where I have wished 2 people having an almost exclusive back and forth on someone else's thread would take it to PMing each other or start a new thread.
    Yes, I know some are split off and sent to discussion, but not all.

For those obnoxious repeat PMers- shooting off a quick 'you do realize you are hitting on a 64yo' shuts them up pretty quick. For some reason hitting on one's grandma is not appealing.

Cheers, h.

IME, sometimes it's grandpa doing the hitting: Age appropriate, but still creepy.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    As long as they aren't of a flirtatious/sexual nature, they're fine; for me!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Agreed.

I agree with this too.
    The only times I have PMed off a thread was when a side comment peeked my interest and would take the thread off topic.

There has been a few occasions where I have wished 2 people having an almost exclusive back and forth on someone else's thread would take it to PMing each other or start a new thread.
    Yes, I know some are split off and sent to discussion, but not all.

For those obnoxious repeat PMers- shooting off a quick 'you do realize you are hitting on a 64yo' shuts them up pretty quick. For some reason hitting on one's grandma is not appealing.

Cheers, h.

IME, sometimes it's grandpa doing the hitting: Age appropriate, but still creepy.

Yeah, I did have that happen, only once (he was still 10y younger), and a polite refusal worked.

I think it is mainly young things that have just joined and do a bulk type PM to anyone and everyone, then repeat. They are the ones I point out my age to.

Cheers, h.
This discussion has been closed.