Has anyone here done intermittent fasting?

Aloha. I am on my weighloss journey. I have done some research and came across intermittent fasting. I am on day 2 of 16hours fasting, 8 hours eating. 11:30am, and 5pm. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this? Do you have any before and after photos? Any tips?, Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    That’s how I eat naturally, I have breakfast at 8am, and dinner at 3pm. I got fat eating that way, and I lost weight eating that way. You don’t lose weight just because you don’t eat for 16 hours, you still have to be aware of how much you are eating.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I do if most days, but i'm not strict about it. It's just a mechanism to let me eat more at night when I'm more hungry, instead of during the day, when I'm rarely all that hungry.

I don't care much about keeping calories absolutely 0 during my fasting period or anything like that. It doesn't eliminate the need to track caloric intake, nor do you lose weight in excess of your caloric deficit.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    ^^What they said. It won’t give results that are any different than anything else. It’s just a different way of eating your daily allotment.
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    If you are one of those people that’s constantly hungry and a binge eater, I think intermittent fasting is amazing.

That’s me and I find I’m finally not literally hungry enough to kill lol I feel great and it’s showing me a lot about my body and connection to food.
    I’m only 2 weeks in and I eat a lot of carbs because vegan. But I have lost 7 lbs.
  • scares11
    scares11 Posts: 3 Member
    No but it sounds promising. What is intermittent fasting ?
  • Lindsey_Ross
    Lindsey_Ross Posts: 17 Member
    I've had good result and have lost weight doing this, in times when I wasn't calorie counting.

There's also a thread where someone asked what the most effective change they made when losing weight was and a TON of people said intermittent fasting.

If you're into podcasts, try TIm Ferriss' episode #237. He interviews a woman doing her PhD on the subject and she lists a TON of benefits that will keep you motivated.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I've had good result and have lost weight doing this, in times when I wasn't calorie counting.

There's also a thread where someone asked what the most effective change they made when losing weight was and a TON of people said intermittent fasting.

If you're into podcasts, try TIm Ferriss' episode #237. He interviews a woman doing her PhD on the subject and she lists a TON of benefits that will keep you motivated.

Calorie counting, in and of itself, is not required to lose weight. But eating less calories than you expend, by whatever method, is required.

Some people find that IF controls their hunger better and they're able to reduce their calorie intake that way. For such people, IF can be a useful tool. But it all comes down to calories in < calories out for weight loss, however one achieves that.
  • getnickripped
    getnickripped Posts: 266 Member
    It was critical for my transformation. Ive been doing it since Nov 2015. Still have to count your cals of course but it was great for me to keep calories down and burn stored fat. The profile pic was 2014 to 2016.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    hilogirlz wrote: »
    Aloha. I am on my weighloss journey. I have done some research and came across intermittent fasting. I am on day 2 of 16hours fasting, 8 hours eating. 11:30am, and 5pm. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this? Do you have any before and after photos? Any tips?, Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Aloha....I actually did a 20:4 today...It just happened for me due to circumstances today. I was looking for a thread that included it and found this. I would like to keep in touch with you. I would like to also add you as a friend, if that is okay?
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    I just found this with a quick search:
    Intermittent fasting. As in, eating 500 calories 1 to 2 days a week, or going 12 to 18 hours a day without food. More a dieting pattern than a diet, science says it can help you lose weight (a smaller eating window means less calories consumed), but even better, research has linked it to improved blood sugar levels, decreased risk of heart disease and cancer, and, according to neuroscientist Mark Mattson's research, it might just help your brain ward off neurogenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's while improving mood and memory.

Does anyone know how many days, weeks, or length of time you can do Intermittent fasting?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I just found this with a quick search:
    Intermittent fasting. As in, eating 500 calories 1 to 2 days a week, or going 12 to 18 hours a day without food. More a dieting pattern than a diet, science says it can help you lose weight (a smaller eating window means less calories consumed), but even better, research has linked it to improved blood sugar levels, decreased risk of heart disease and cancer, and, according to neuroscientist Mark Mattson's research, it might just help your brain ward off neurogenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's while improving mood and memory.

Does anyone know how many days, weeks, or length of time you can do Intermittent fasting?

I wouldn't call going 12 hours intermittent fasting. That sounds more like a standard eating routine. It's also still possible to overeat while doing IF.

Can you provide sources to this research?

5:2 and such can be done while you're losing weight (as your deficit is created from the 500 calorie days). 16:8 can be done as long as you'd like. Many people were following that pattern long before they came here.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I'm trying it now. I started because of some research about cell repair/anti aging stuff. But I've found that I like the structure. I pretty much finish eating by 6:00 at night and then don't eat again for about 15 hours. Sometimes more like 13 and today I went 19 hours. I've felt lighter and it makes me enjoy my meals when I do eat them! I'm mostly eating an early lunch and then an early dinner. I like having more calories for those two meals than spreading it out between more meals. I am sticking to my calorie goal and finding it easy!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I do IF, and enjoy it. However, I treat it strictly as an adherence helping protocol and don't expect anything more from it. The science is a bit mixed, and most of the studies haven't used the leangains protocol, which is the version most people seem to be using.