dealing with the haters

Options
13»

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Hey guys
    I'm working at losing about 40lbs (18kgs) over the next year or so and I've been pretty fanatical about tracking my food and keeping up with my exercise goals. Problem is I'm getting some flack from people who're telling me I'm being obsessive about losing weight.
    I'm not sure how to combat that because what I consider good awareness and attitude to food and my body, some see as obsessive or negative. How would you approach a situation where someone says "omg, you're too obsessed about food! You need to chill out and stop being so anal about it!" ?

You know the way alcoholics like to push drinks on other people to make themselves feel better and then tease and nag when you just want a water? Well it's the same thing.

They're the ones with the issue, whether they chose to acknowledge it or not.

How you deal with them depends who it is... Food pushing office colleagues, I find if you just politely decline whatever they wave under your nose, they'll give up eventually. It's more difficult with close family and partners not being on board...

Get your support here to counterbalance the haters. :flowerforyou:
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You have to be kind of obsessive to make that big of a lifestyle change. I know I have to. No one has called me on this yet which surprises me, I just get awe from family and coworkers. But this is what I'm ready to say if I do get told this, I'd say look this is a huge priority in my life and it matters to me more than anything, I feel strong and healthy so why shouldn't I be obsessed with this ...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    who cares.
    your doing it for you, not for them.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    There's a colleague who is doing the 5:2 diet and it's all she talks about. I mean, she even berates anyone she sees eating and tries to force her way of life unto others. It's getting kind of tedious now tbh.
  • curlyteetee
    curlyteetee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give them one moments thought! with your new lifestyle you're going to also have to grow thicker skin. Ppl are always going to have something to say be it good or bad, just do you and keep your head up! :wink:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Then I believe a SUCK IT is in order for your co-workers :P

Only if it comes with a crotch chop.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Whoa. Unsolicited advice or opinions are useless. Don't place value on what they say!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    How would you approach a situation where someone says "omg, you're too obsessed about food! You need to chill out and stop being so anal about it!" ?

I've reminded people about the old Head & Shoulders commercials.

"You use Head & Shoulders? But you don't have dandruff!

Precisely."

I suppose a more radical approach would be the take shirt off and laugh. Works in my office. Might not be applicable to your office situation.

lol, i totally use this approach.

"why are you watching what you eat? you're in great shape."

"what, you think all of this <waves hands over body> happens by accident?"
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Then I believe a SUCK IT is in order for your co-workers :P

Only if it comes with a crotch chop.

For sure lol