Anyone have a time in the evening they try not to eat past?

Options
I've been making some pretty poor food choices late in the evening. I eat well during the day but I've started a medication that makes my appetite go up and once I get snacking at night I find it near impossible to stop. I was thinking of giving myself a rule of "no food after 8pm" to help keep me out of the snacks. I think I do best with a clear cut plan. Anyone do something similar? Does it help? I was setting aside calories for snacks at night but I'm eating waaaaay over.

Replies

4870464 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat after 830ish. If I can't sleep due to hunger, I might eat a couple of grapes (4-5) and drink water. I find something else to keep me distracted & out of the kitchen. Hope that helps...
    4870464 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs, what type of tea do you drink at night that doesn't cause you to stay awake? I will loose sleep if I drink tea after 5 PM.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I pre-log snacks so if I'm peckish in the evening, then I have the available calories to eat something. If not, then I add them to another day during the week.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I leave most of my calories for the evening and night.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    No, I do not have a cut-off time. A big part of that is that in addition to my handyman work during the day, I have a part-time evening job and don't get home until 11:30. I'm not one that can come straight from work and fall into bed, so I'm going to be up for a while and eating is a given since that job is custodian and I'm on my feet and moving for the entire shift.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a time in the evening they try not to eat past?

Yep ... when I go to bed. I don't eat in bed.
  • harrietandrews
    harrietandrews Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I stop eating at 8pm, might have a cup of herbal tea or something like that but no more food. It gives me a couple of hours to digest before going to sleep and I wake up feeling much lighter and healthier :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have a rule that I don't eat after I brush my teeth. Brushing my teeth is the last thing I do before I go to bed.. Just before that is eating a few pieces of dark chocolate.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    4870464 wrote: »
    Tblackdogs, what type of tea do you drink at night that doesn't cause you to stay awake? I will loose sleep if I drink tea after 5 PM.

Decaf or many herbal/fruit teas are caffeine free and shouldn't impact your sleep (unless you're needing to get up to pee)
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after dinner but I tend to have dinner fairly late (around 8-8:30) so I'm not really hungry again between then and bed. The main time when snacking is a problem for me is late afternoon/early evening. It's really difficult for me not to grab a snack before I get on the train home.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't snack, which is helpful to me.

In the evenings I eat dinner, maybe a dessert immediately after dinner (if it's a day where I fit that in) and nothing after that. Not having a habit of snacking in the evening when I don't really need more food (I ate all I needed before that) is helpful for me, although my worst snacking temptation is always work (not snacking at work is equally helpful).

I also often eat dinner quite late (9 pm) because I get home late. I think that helps limit any temptation to snack, although I often go to bed late too, of course.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I do Intermittent fasting so typically start eating around 12ish and finish at 6ish and 6 or 7 would be my cut off. I don't really get the urge to snack in the evening as I'm having fairly big meals around half 5 or 6.

As humans we tend to have more willpower in the morning after waking up so, it only makes sense to use that portion of the day for fasting and then the evening time should be a lot more controlled. I have this routine down to a tee now and it's piece of cake. Even If i do get peckish in the evening I know I've had my calories and it's time to wind down for bed anyways.

IF i do have calories left and I feel like i need something to eat I will have a couple pieces of dark chocolate or some nuts. Find out what works best for you and stick to it. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    For weight loss reasons? No.

For sleep quality reasons? Definitely. I don't like having food sloshing around in my stomach while I'm trying to sleep so I usually try to eat my last meal at least 2 hours before bedtime.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after dinner and dinner for me is 4-4:30pm.