Anyone have a time in the evening they try not to eat past?

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    9:30 .. that's when I go to bed.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I do not eat past 8pm both because Im a late night snacker, and because eating before bed makes me bloat really bad
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    7PM I find if I eat after that I have acid reflux.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I don't make it a hard an fast rule, but I try not to eat after 8pm. I head to bed 9-10pm and feel I don't sleep as well if I've eaten late. If you're a serial snacker, exploring an intermittent fasting-type schedule might be helpful to break the habit.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until mid afternoon when I have a salad so I've no cut off time

I sometimes eat in the middle of the night if I wake having a hypo or if baby boy has woken a lot for breastfeeds (every 20 minutes the other day)
  • amanda_deanne
    amanda_deanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat over half my daily calories between supper and after supper snacks. It's when I am hungriest. I just plan my days around it.
  • alexcorimusson
    alexcorimusson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 6pm on weekdays. Weekends is variable due to whatever situation I'm in (with friends, workout day, etc.)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nope. My work shifts and gym times aren’t the same so depends on what I have going on. If I get done with work and go to gym after, if I have the calories and want to will have a snack even at midnight. No issues so far.
  • gorditalindaz
    gorditalindaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OMG this is my biggest issue. I crave snacks at night, mostly salty since I kicked sugar. I have things like sugar free chocolate chips (stevia) and nuts but I start with herbal tea, chammomile or lemon grass. And finding something to keep me busy. I work out after work so maybe that's a reason I crave the salt. I try to eat the biggest meal for lunch and lighter for dinner. I have tried to eat more veggies at dinner and that helps. I hate the night munchies right now, they are the worst! Good luck finding a coping mechanism that works for you. The struggle is real!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't eat past bed time.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I have a personal preference to not eat after dinner which is usually around 6 p.m. My eating window is usually from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. (I don't wake up hungry). This tends to have me focusing on meals instead of snacks and tends to naturally keep me at a calorie deficit when I'm diligent about it. It tends to vary on the weekends and it's more a guideline than a rule. If I get hungrier before 12 p.m., I'll eat. I'm pretty flexible in that sense but I do have to be mindful not to eat too close to the time I lay down for bed or I'll get reflux and will have trouble sleeping. (which in turn will affect my mood and hunger levels the next day.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My rule is I can't eat in bed, that's the cutoff point :smiley:

It makes perfect sense to pick a cutoff time if you are struggling to control your calories at night. Start with a reasonable but not too restrictive time, like 2 hours before bedtime. Pre-log an after dinner snack to have before then. If you can, pre-measure the snack earlier in the day. Then at whatever your cutoff time is, try brushing your teeth and settling in to whatever you'll be doing until bedtime.

I found I was much better able to deal with cravings or an empty belly in the morning, so I don't eat until noon and save those extra calories for the late night snack. Play around with it and you'll figure it out!
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't eat after midnight. At first it started to avoid any confusion over which day to log my food on if I eat something past midnight, but now I find it helps me pace my meals out better over the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I have a rule that I don't eat after I brush my teeth. Brushing my teeth is the last thing I do before I go to bed.. Just before that is eating a few pieces of dark chocolate.

Ditto.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I purposely try to eat like...immediately before bed.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after dinner and dinner for me is 4-4:30pm.

Holy snap that's early!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can say "I'm not going to eat past 7-8-9pm" 100 times over, but it doesn't mean I'm going to stick to it.. If I'm feeling peckish it won't matter what time limit I've set, i will either choose to go to bed or eat something.

Setting a cut off time will not magically stop any cravings or hunger :wink:
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat breakfast or lunch and eat within a 8 hour window. I prelog a late night snack because I can’t sleep on a totally empty stomach.
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I usually save around 900 calories to eat from dinner until bed time (I'm eating roughly 1500 per day once I add exercise calories back in). We have an early dinner around 5.30 then that leaves me about 350calories for snacks until bedtime around midnight. I put on all my weight through late night snacking/bingeing of some pretty poor food choices. Leaving calories for snacks means I don't feel deprived as I can still snack as long as I make better choices (and my husband eats from the minute he gets home until he goes to bed!). I generally snack on yoghurt, cheese wedges, berries and sometimes nuts if I'm not that hungry and still need to reach my calorie goal.

Leaving that many calories for dinner and snacks also allows me to go out for dinner on a whim if we decide. 900 calories is plenty for a glass of wine and a meal out and I don't have to feel like I'm missing out on social occasions because I don't have enough calories left! I have lost and put on weight so many times, this time I'm in it for the long haul and it has to be sustainable not only losing but also to maintain and I need to teach myself to make better food choices. And to be honest, I much prefer the way I am eating now with plenty of variety and healthy food choices.

We are all different though so what works for me may not necessarily work for the next person.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I usually have one snack after dinner, usually chocolate. But once I’m done and out of calories for the day I will go brush my teeth, floss, use mouthwash. After that i really won’t want to eat anything else. But there’s no specific time. Usually around 7-8. Depends on the day I guess.