How much weight should you lift to gain muscle?

Options
124»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    For the ladies nearing (or aspiring) for the heavier bench press weights, I'm curious if you can do pull ups(and how many)?

I work on it. But honestly, I can't do one from a dead hang :( Getting closer.

My bench did get better with some weight gain and especially back and tricep growth.

Deadhangs are hard, a lot of guys who do pullups can't do deadhangs.

I thought that was the real way.

It's the most strict form but a lot of people start with momentum and keep it. Also, most people don't actually do a full stretch either. Watch the guys at your gym and see how many actually do a deadhang, unless you are lifting at a hardcore gym, probably 1 or 2 if any will do them.

Are differentiating between dead hang and full extension? Unless I am warming up or doing scapular pull ups, I'm going to keep my shoulders packed throughout my set.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    For the ladies nearing (or aspiring) for the heavier bench press weights, I'm curious if you can do pull ups(and how many)?

I work on it. But honestly, I can't do one from a dead hang :( Getting closer.

My bench did get better with some weight gain and especially back and tricep growth.

Deadhangs are hard, a lot of guys who do pullups can't do deadhangs.

I thought that was the real way.

It's the most strict form but a lot of people start with momentum and keep it. Also, most people don't actually do a full stretch either. Watch the guys at your gym and see how many actually do a deadhang, unless you are lifting at a hardcore gym, probably 1 or 2 if any will do them.

Are differentiating between dead hang and full extension? Unless I am warming up or doing scapular pull ups, I'm going to keep my shoulders packed throughout my set.

I keep my scapular retraction during a deadhang sometimes and sometimes I let it go to full stretch. I think both count as deadhang, just variations with the important part being that you stop all momentum and are not keeping the elbows bent more than you need to maintain retraction. At least that's my understanding and my method.
  • mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really like Mike Matthew's Bigger Leaner Stronger program for a dual strength and muscle growth perspective. He also has a version for females but it is pretty much the same.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I also agree with the above posters. I found this article helpful in explaining it all
    https://bretcontreras.com/training-for-maximum-muscle-growth-explained/

I will add, my deadlift and squat are pretty poor considering how long I've been lifting. It has not hindered my ability to gain muscle in my lower body at all.

ditto.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Don't know how it would work for women but for men there are some arbitary lifting objectives that are commonly accepted as evidence of "basic" strength.

Generally these are being able to do a 1RM:

DL 2x BW
    SQT 1.75X BW
    BP 1.25x BW
    OHP . 75x BW

These would be considered MINIMUMS and most men would strive to lift more.

If you are a woman and can lift this much, I think that you can assume that you also gained some muscle in the process.

How much can only be estimated by the measurement of LBM and BF by DXA, hydro or sone other method of BF measurement.

Just realIze that muscle only comprises a part of LBM (estimated at 42% for men and 35% for women) and there is no exact way to measure muscle apart from an autopsy.

I'm not exactly close to those numbers (but I've only been at this about 9 months or so).

eu7xy28v9coz.png

I am very happy with the muscle definition in my arms so far though, and the effect the increased leg strength has had on my running (my excess fat goes to the thighs first, so not much visible definition, but I can completely credit the deadlifts whenever kicking *kitten* on uphills when running)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Last time I pulled myself up (I'm a tad bit too heavy to test right now), I did 5x10 bodyweight chin-ups (I'm either too short or too narrow to pull-up anywhere in my gym)...and worked up to a single 45lb weighted chin-up.

One of the biggest factors in increasing my bench was volume. I followed my trainer's program. I did a 5 week cycle of 3x10 bench with 3x10 on accessories (including 3x10 on OHP); followed by a 5 week cycle of 3x6 bench (heavier) with 3x8 accessories. We switched from an 8/6/4 scheme.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ok I can do a couple fake chins then. Def not kipping.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    At 115 I could bench my body weight(now I'm 117). I can also do pull ups. Last week I did 4x4. I don't really go all out and see how many I can do. And , yes, I do them from a dead hang. My squat and deadlifts are not as good.