How much weight should you lift to gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For the ladies nearing (or aspiring) for the heavier bench press weights, I'm curious if you can do pull ups(and how many)?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    For the ladies nearing (or aspiring) for the heavier bench press weights, I'm curious if you can do pull ups(and how many)?

I can knock out a short string of strict pullups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I can do 8 good ones- upwards of 15 crappier ones- especially if I don't go with a strict over hand grip (I use an alternate grip)

I can do multiple sets of 5's- which to me is useful.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    For some reason it won't let me edit- so- just tacking on to that- lat pull downs help with pull ups/DB rows and BB rows obviously.

I have what I consider a modestly good bench- I have pushed 200 clean- 225 for a very very dirty butt off the bench 1 repper.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    For some reason it won't let me edit- so- just tacking on to that- lat pull downs help with pull ups/DB rows and BB rows obviously.

I have what I consider a modestly good bench- I have pushed 200 clean- 225 for a very very dirty butt off the bench 1 repper.

Dayum, Jo! What's your deadlift at these days? Last I saw you were working on 325 I think.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I can knock out a short string of strict pullups.

I can do 8 good ones- upwards of 15 crappier ones- especially if I don't go with a strict over hand grip (I use an alternate grip)

I can do multiple sets of 5's- which to me is useful.

I'm marking this down as things I don't see at my gym. Impressive.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Dayum, Jo! What's your deadlift at these days? Last I saw you were working on 325 I think.

I hit 335- and I backed off to rehab and do some other work while I trained for my certification. So I feel like I've lost some off the top end. My squat is a struggle bus right now- I put 250 in my program- but 205 for sets of 3 felt like torture the other day LOL.

I think when I started coming back to power I pulled 275 for sets of two and they felt REALLY great- so I'm comfortably saying I'm still at 315- hopefully I didn't lose too much of that- but we shall see- I just started a new 12 week sheiko so I'll know where I sit in a three months!!!

I went to a military school- the PT test included pull ups- and I grew up doing them- so it's been less of a mental challenge- and I go out of my way to sort of "maintain" upkeep.
    I am also a believer in "big back- big bench" so I think it's all helpful.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I work on it. But honestly, I can't do one from a dead hang :( Getting closer.

My bench did get better with some weight gain and especially back and tricep growth.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I hit 335- and I backed off to rehab and do some other work while I trained for my certification. So I feel like I've lost some off the top end. My squat is a struggle bus right now- I put 250 in my program- but 205 for sets of 3 felt like torture the other day LOL.

I think when I started coming back to power I pulled 275 for sets of two and they felt REALLY great- so I'm comfortably saying I'm still at 315- hopefully I didn't lose too much of that- but we shall see- I just started a new 12 week sheiko so I'll know where I sit in a three months!!!

I went to a military school- the PT test included pull ups- and I grew up doing them- so it's been less of a mental challenge- and I go out of my way to sort of "maintain" upkeep.

I get the rehab lol. Good to see your are back in the powerlifting again. I loved the excitement when you hit 315 the first time.

I agree with the pullups helping bench as well as your pulling.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

My bench did get better with some weight gain and especially back and tricep growth.

Deadhangs are hard, a lot of guys who do pullups can't do deadhangs.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I get the rehab lol. Good to see your are back in the powerlifting again. I loved the excitement when you hit 315 the first time.

OMG that was such a good day- I ran around screaming in the gym- it was SO satisfying.

Can't wait till 350- it's TOTATLLY going to happen. I'm angling for the 1000 pound club. I don't see why I can't- but I"M pushing mid thirties so it's gotta happen in the next ten years. I'm guessing it's not a 40 year old type goal LMAO.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

OMG that was such a good day- I ran around screaming in the gym- it was SO satisfying.

Can't wait till 350- it's TOTATLLY going to happen. I'm angling for the 1000 pound club. I don't see why I can't- but I"M pushing mid thirties so it's gotta happen in the next ten years. I'm guessing it's not a 40 year old type goal LMAO.

You'll get the 1K! Can't wait to see the 350 DL video. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    Options

You'll get the 1K! Can't wait to see the 350 DL video. :smile:

meeeeeee toooooooooooooooooooooooooo- can't wait- but I'm guessing it's probably a year off. But that's okay- loven the grind- I am patient.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    @rybo wrote: »

Last time I checked I did 3x10 strict pull ups but I haven't tried to see how many I can do in one go.. but I can bench my own body weight. I however can't shoulder press it. That's my next goal.

OHP your own body weight is a huge weight for anyone, definitely post when you hit that!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I thought that was the real way.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options

I thought that was the real way.

It's the most strict form but a lot of people start with momentum and keep it. Also, most people don't actually do a full stretch either. Watch the guys at your gym and see how many actually do a deadhang, unless you are lifting at a hardcore gym, probably 1 or 2 if any will do them.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'd say there is a fair bit of room on the scale from "dead hang" to "kipping"

I wouldn't say I deadhang- I can *probably* do 5 deadhang- but I typically keep going once I start. But I definitely don't kip.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I'd say there is a fair bit of room on the scale from "dead hang" to "kipping"

I wouldn't say I deadhang- I can *probably* do 5 deadhang- but I typically keep going once I start. But I definitely don't kip.

True, right now I don't do deadhangs because I'm overly cautious about my biceps tearing again. Yeah, that's going to be awhile to overcome.

5 deadhangs are really hard to do, the stretch itself can really take energy out of your muscles but they really work it well. A full stretch before contraction is actually the most growth inducing method.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I may see if I if I'm lying tonight- I wasn't really planning on lifting- but now I kind of want to know LOL.
    it definitely is good. Sometimes actually doing more is useful though.

I mean- like biceps- cheater "curl" pull ups- is one of the most effective exercises for growing your biceps. So- tools in the tool kit is all how I see it.