White Rice and Asians

Options

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Another hilarious "ASIANS ARE MAGICAL" thread. JFC.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    To the op, if you have an interest in this subject you may want to read Japanese Women don't get Fat or old. It's an interesting perspective...and has some good food recipes.
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Farming is a newer phenomenon in Western countries, compared to Asia and Middle-East... That is why people who are of European descent can't digest grains as well as Asians and Middle-Easterners. So genetics is helping Asians stay slim. However, even if you are thin, it does not mean that you are healthy...

And the fact that if you own a car, it is more likely that you will get fat. Running to the subway, streetcar, bus, carrying your groceries from the store to your doorstep instead of transporting them in your car has an effect too. Plus portion sizes, junk food etc.

I have lived in Europe and in North America. I gained weight a lot since my move to North America from Europe, as my life style is more sedentary now, plus the food is different.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for other Asian countries, but I live in Japan. The Japanese lead very active lifestyles. Often, they bike where they need to go, there are a ton of stairs and overall, exercise is more of a norm than in America. (Sorry, I can only really speak for Japan and America.) As a result, it seems like they have a higher metabolism. My boyfriend, who's Japanese, is a total garbage disposal. He eats, like, 3 times as much as I do and never gains a pound. *jealous*

They eat short-grain white rice. They eat nothing with it. It's just plain rice. I don't even know how to eat white rice with anything on it. It feels blasphemous. Japanese people feel the same way. It's always plain, white rice, nothing on it. They might make fried rice or rice bowl (rice with a meat on top) or things like that using white rice, though. Part of the trade-off is that they don't eat a lot of bread. So rice is their main source of carbohydrates. They also eat a lot of vegetables. I think these are some of the reasons why they can eat so much rice.

Living in Japan, I eat a good amount of white rice. I just make a point to eat a smaller portion of it and plan it into my meal. If everything else has too many calories, I pass on the rice.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm half Filipino/ half American(Scottish, german, Irish)

When I visited my relatives in the Philippines ,I had a HEAPING portion of veggies and fish, and this small little palm sized scoop of rice. I was like, "WTF" grandma!!(just kidding)

The rice was a VERY small side. On the flip side(no pun intended to my fellow flips) I had a plateful of veggies and fish.

I actually don;t eat rice anymore. ANd that's because I know if I did I'd eat a whole tray of it, so I just stay away.And trust me..asians born in America and raised with a western diet have no problem at all gaining weight. Both my sisters are under 5'3 and about 180-200 lbs. Unfortunatetly they can't say, "but you're half asian and it's your genetics."

I get this alot from people.

But my sisters can't use that lame excuse. We share the same damn genetics except they are huge and I am not.. They just choose to eat big macs and eat a veggie or two and a tray of rice .

I just pass on both.

well its all about the macros & micros,, depends on your goal and the calories you burn and consume.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have been living in Vietnam for the past few years. The people here eat rice with every meal. They believe that if you haven't had rice, you haven't eaten. The school where I work typically serves close to two cups of rice with lunch, and most of it goes back to the kitchen uneaten. For the most part, a meal here would be a fairly large portion of rice or noodles, a lot of veggies, most of the time some sort of greens, and a small portion of meat, fish, tofu, or eggs. The people here have lived for such a very long time on a subsistence level diet, and they are just coming away from that. Sugar is everywhere here, including in the breads and milk. the milk in the stores is sweetened to make it more palatable to a culture that didn't traditionally eat much dairy.

There are very few nutrition labels on foods. I have found one brand of milk that is partially skimmed, but I don't know how much fat is in it. It is also unsweetened, and has extra calcium added. It doesn't taste like the milk I used to drink in Canada, but I've gotten used to it. For the most part I eat a western diet, but with many more fruits and veggies than I did in Canada. I don't eat meat every day, and I eat smaller portions that I used to. Yes, fast food is alive and well here, and an obesity issue is growing that was previously unknown.
  • latoldy
    latoldy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Duke Rice Diet. It works for the short term weight loss but; onve you start adding in regular food the weight will slowly come back. People have spent thousands of dollars to stay at the "house" for a few months with remarkable results. Unfortunately many of those people put he weight back on once they return home and continue eating what they consider normal.
    It is all about portion control and making healthy choices. For those of you who dislike brown rice, try mixing it half and half with white rice and limit yourself to 1/2 cup max. Just a suggestion :)
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT

They eat such low cal food in general and move all day .

So I can get to my 1700 calories per day by eating 8 candy bars and that would be fine? I think not. There's more to it than that.

Of course there is more to it. But it IS about calories in/out. White rice is a nutritionally stripped food but if included in a proper diet, it won't necessarily ruin it. Same with the candy bar.

I like white rice better than brown so I order it if I go out, but in my house it's brown. Balance
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is more healthier than white one. :wink:
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of fat Asians too
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of fat Asians too

You Said It! especially here in the Philippines because people here are eating too much calories and bad foods, no exercise or no burning calories and hard drinker like beer,wine and hard liquor :laugh: :drinker: :smokin:
  • DMJS
    DMJS Posts: 46
    Options
    I work with many different people and I've asked my Asian friends if they eat american white rice or get it from Asia. The answer for the thin people is they go to the Asian market and get the import. America adds stuff to our rice. You should see the rolly pollies that eat the American stuff.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    on the flip side I've had people say asians are skinny..and oh yeah..they also add that not so great stereotype that asian females are not strong.

AT a gym I work at I had a guy refused to work with me because I am asian. (ok, I'm half white but noone really can tell). Can you IMAGINE if someone said they didn't want to work with someone who is black? What would the uproar be? And I guess noone ever refuses a white trainer.

It was a black guy. He wanted to learn how to lift and he said, "asian women aren't as strong as the sisters" and he demanded another trainer. He was given my collegue, a white guy who is a marathon runner and put him on the Smith machine and has absolutely no experience with barbell lifting.So he had no problems with a marathon runner teaching him to lift. But an asian female who actually lifts???

But what do I know. I'm this asian female and we are just skinny. Never mind I can deadlift 245.

If an asian woman is in the gym and she is lifting a heavy barbell..... you can bet her *kitten* pound for pound she's stronger than most females because we get the stereotype of being skinny..not strong.

But maybe I can deadlift and squat so much due to my rice consumption.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

We all apparently eat white rice though.

True. And all of you are thin.

NO, you can't just generalize like that. NOT ALL ASIANS ARE THIN. I'm an asian and I know plenty who are overweight, whoever assumes otherwise clearly have not seen the entire population to draw up such conclusion.

Um, considering that I posted the first comment about the diversity of the continent, I think it's safe to assume that it was a joke.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    It's all the math they do.

LMAO

Thanks. Dunno why MFP felt the need to nuke my original.
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with white rice. It's cheap and a good source of carbs. Also it's filling so a small portion will fill you up nicely.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    TO OP- Another thing..(because this kind of topic riles me up) the original poster is 5'4 and 113 lbs and you are talking about asians being skinny? I took a look at your profile pic. You are a beautiful girl and you are already small! Why are you TRYING to lose weight?

I'm 5'3 and 131.

Uh...but asians are skinny, right?

no, it's not that asians are skinny but that YOU NEED TO LIFT. You got a pretty face but look at my pic and my "SKINNY" asian arms caused by rice eating and look at your pic. My asian arms are not skinny. Yours are. The problem is not trying to figure out how to eat more rice and lose weight. The problem is you need to stop trying to figure out how they are thin and you need to focus on yourself and lift heavy.
  • livtx
    livtx Posts: 7
    Options
    I have to disagree with all of you. They don't ALL move ALL day long. Like, really? I personally think it's that damn green tea they ALL drink ALL day long.

Google green tea. It has major health/weight loss benefits.

This!! I lived in China for a year and they drink tea ALL DAY EVERY DAYYY. But they are pretty active in a sense of walking, definitely less running and high intensity stuff that we do here. They go shopping a lot (ie walking), clean the house, go to local parks, chat with friends...while walking.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    TO OP- Another thing..(because this kind of topic riles me up) the original poster is 5'4 and 113 lbs and you are talking about asians being skinny? I took a look at your profile pic. You are a beautiful girl and you are already small! Why are you TRYING to lose weight?

I'm 5'3 and 131.

no, it's not that asians are skinny but that YOU NEED TO LIFT. You got a pretty face but look at my pic and my "SKINNY" asian arms caused by rice eating and look at your pic. My asian arms are not skinny. Yours are. The problem is not trying to figure out how to eat more rice and lose weight. The problem is you need to stop trying to figure out how they are thin and you need to focus on yourself and lift heavy.

Not cool. She can look how she wants to look and how she is most comfortable in her own skin because she lives there, not you.. April, I would not hire you as my trainer either. Has nothing to do with anything other than it's simply not ok to tell others what they should do or how they should look based on what you think.

People, if you don't want people judging you, don't judge others!
  • apriltrainer
    Options

I'm 5'3 and 131.

Not cool. She can look how she wants to look and how she is most comfortable in her own skin because she lives there, not you.. April, I would not hire you as my trainer either. Has nothing to do with anything other than it's simply not ok to tell others what they should do or how they should look based on what you think.

People, if you don't want people judging you, don't judge others!

Oh please. The OP is asking about how all these rice eating asians can be so skinny. The fact is...the girl herself is skinny. She has arms a kpop singer would die for. That's one thing I don't like, because I am asian I am put into the skinny category not the "athletic category." look at my arms and look at op's arms. does she really want asian arms? Cuz mine aren't skinny and I was fed decades of rice before I opted to just not eat so much of it as an adult.

and you can go ahead an judge me. It's an open forum. You put your picture out there..be willing to be judged. That;s not what OP intended I am sure. But the OP is SMALLER and skinnier and is not asian and is talking about these small skinny asians.

I just find it hilarious that I am shorter and actuallly weigh more....and grew up in that rice eating culture

She is a PrEtty girl. I can tell from the OP's picture but anyone who lifts can take one look at her arms and from her original post..She wants to lose another 5-7lbs....

One of my jobs is a college gym. I see these tiny girls trying to get smaller and smaller. They think it's because they are fat. And they aren't. When does it STOP? I can take on look at a girls arms and tell if it's fat and in the op's case..it's not! It's that they have to lift. They don't have to lift as heavy as others , but they need to. She wants to lose 5-7lbs..and mentions a flat tummy. But we all know you can't spot reduce.She should lift. and if you or someone like her didn't want me as a trainer. So be it.