Went Dairy Free!

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with dairy, but am trying to move closer to 100% plant-based, and other than missing cheese sometimes dairy was super easy to give up. I guess I mostly don't use it in recipes so wouldn't seek alternative recipes, it was more about just not having yogurt or cottage cheese and using nut milks (which I make at home) in oats and smoothies and some soups.
  • kativan123
    kativan123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All fine and well if you are allergic...

to lose weight all that is required is eating less than we burn.

Well cutting dairy out for me has nothing to do with weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kativan123 wrote: »
    Today is my second full day of being completely dairy free. Was curious if anyone’s experiences being dairy free and if you guys have any foods or recipes that you love ❤️

What are you looking for more specifically?
    I am not dairy free but there are plenty of ordinary recipes and foods without milk, cheese, butter or yogurt in them. What are you having trouble with?
    Are you looking for a mac and cheese recipe using some cheese substitute? I understand nutritional yeast has a cheese like flavor. You might use that. https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/nutritional-yeast-2
    Pasta, rice, some breads, vegetables, fruits, meat, quinoa, eggs, olive oil, oatmeal, farina, many condiments do not contain dairy.

• MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My fiance is lactose intolerant, so I've dropped a lot of dairy from my life. I haven't noticed any difference in my weight, skin, or health in the last five years as a result. I still eat dairy a few times per month (dairy coffee creamer on a lazy Sunday, pizza at a work party) and I notice no change in my body/digestion/skin in the days following dairy vs following dairy-free days.

My intermittent acne seems to only be triggered by stress and TOM hormones - no food puts or takes have ever had an impact.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Are you allergic to dairy?

Here we go, there's always someone who has to ask why you're giving up dairy, assuming it's just to lose weight, instead of just answering the question.

Why shouldn't people seek clarification before answering a question? For actual medical issues there are substitutions that could be equally bad. For someone who thinks weight loss is a magical combo of eating or not eating certain foods it's a good opportunity to explain how things work. I've been here 7 years and it's pretty common for people to have no idea that eliminating certain foods isn't necessary.

*illustrates this response in picture form*
    giphy.gif
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    rcd7 wrote: »
    I went dairy-free for my skin (for rosacea) and it made a huge difference, but that’s a pretty specific skin condition. (Oil cleansing helped a lot as well, but that’s a different thread!).
    I don’t eat vegan cheese as I just find it disappointing but I make my own almond milk which is easy and delish, and soy yoghurt with fruit is a good snack! Cheese is hard to give up but you do get used to it! Try a good vegan cookbook - there are loads of good ones these days!

yeah, i had roseacea for years and no treatments touched it, wasn't until i read that dairy can be a trigger and literally within 2 weeks of cutting out dairy my roseacea disappeared!