Options
124»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Briantime wrote: »
    I don't agree that 10,000 steps is an "arbitrary" number. For the vast majority of people, that goal represents a substantial increase in their normal level of activity while being reasonably easy to achieve with some dedication and effort. It's certainly not a magic formula, but it fails the definition of "arbitrary".

Arbitrary inasmuch there is no science behind 10K cf 9K cf 11K.

This argument is cracking me up (the whole thing, not you in particular MM). Cultures that use base ten numbering systems find meaning in multiples of the number ten. It's arbitrary because the number itself doesn't actually matter outside of our own shared understanding of it. Why not base six? Why not base two? But it's not arbitrary because when you train your mind to work in base ten, then multiples of ten have meaning that multiples of eight don't (I hate eights). We like fives okay, since it's half of ten. Multiples of ten are better, and powers of ten are the best, because we just really freaking love tens. Ergo, we make a big deal out of 10,000 step goals, the first 100 days of a presidency, birthdays that fall on multiples of ten, and so on.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

*shakes head*

Thank you,I'll be here all week.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    There are 10 types of people in this world, Those who understand binary, those who understand that binary isn't the only alternative base system, and those who will woo this joke.

I don't get it. :/ Maybe because I love eights.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are 10 types of people in this world, Those who understand binary, those who understand that binary isn't the only alternative base system, and those who will woo this joke.

1. Sorry for the nerdity in public.
    2. It's a base 3 joke.
    3. In response to a base 2 joke

ternary and binary for those keeping track at home
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I pretty much hit that number every day. I have very active dogs and we walk at least 7km a day. For me it's more about movement, fresh air and heart health than burning calories towards weight loss.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

1. Sorry for the nerdity in public.
    2. It's a base 3 joke.
    3. In response to a base 2 joke

ternary and binary for those keeping track at home

You ternary guys are so yes, no, and maybe. :smirk:
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    JessM822 wrote: »
    It's a pointless arbitrary number.

I normally burn around 500 calories during my ten hour on my feet employment
    Currently due to surgery I am managing to walk around three miles each lunch time with the rest of the day being very sedentary due to tiredness and swelling. I burn around 100 calories over sedentary.

Both of these examples I hit 10000 steps.

Don't concentrate on steps. Concentrate on moving more than you do now.

Wouldn’t moving more mean having more steps? Why wouldn’t someone focus on their daily step count if it was making them move? This all came about as a fun way to have people challenge themselves to MOVE more.
    Like you said you hit 10,000 steps regularly. Why not increase your step count. You know that’s an option right? I know it’s very rare I have less than 16,000 steps a day. On my long training days I’ll get up over 30,000 steps in a day. I’m like everyone else and like to see how many steps I can do in a day.

moving more is great...but there are far more efficient ways to get equivalent activity that is also higher intensity. I work a desk job and rarely get 10K steps per day...from a time management perspective, it is much more efficient for me to go get on my bike after work and ride a 20K or do some sprint intervals on my bike and take longer rides on the weekend and hit the weight room than to spend hours trying to get steps.

From a cardiovascular fitness standpoint, steps have a pretty low ceiling as well...I'm far better off spending my available time doing higher intensity exercise. If I could get both, that would be great...but for the work I do, it's not really a reality and I'm pretty sure my boss would question why I'm spending all of my time walking around the office rather than working.

With the exercise that I do, I'm already considered active to very active as per my TDEE...being active is what is important whether that's steps or deliberate higher intensity exercise.

Very true, but I think tracking your steps is a stepping stone into learning how to be more efficient in the fitness area.
    I compete in Ironmans and also picked up the Ultra Marathon bug now. I obviously didn’t start there. I started by running my first mile, cycling my first 10 miles, and thought it was awesome when I was able to swim the length of the pool.
    I guess my thinking behind the whole tracking your steps is a great beginning for someone that wants to start to be more active and hopefully it leads to bigger and better things.