Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    ALZZI76-

That picture you posted is exactly what I look like anytime someone would try to get me to drink wine. I can't get it past my nose. funny I would hear different people that were "into" wine tell me...It's a taste you have to aquire. REALLY?? I believe whom ever stated yesterday that it probably tasted yucky the first time you ever tried it, was spot on.
    Anyhow the picture cracked me up because it was like looking in a mirror.

:D:D yes . When i saw it i couldnt help it, i had to add it. It so suits.
    I was thinking also that a picture sticks to your mind, so every time i see wine im going to see this pic :D
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    I finished reading This Naked Mind and I thought it was very good, but I think it's hard to undo 16+ years of drinking just by reading one book. So now I'm going to read Alcohol Explained. Maybe if I keep pounding my brain with literature, it will keep sinking in. I think it's already working somewhat, but it's a slow process.

we have to acquire the taste of alcohol. No body likes it on first taste. I do remember when I first started drinking in HS that I went through a lot of different kind of alcoholic drinks to find something that I could stomach. Ugh!!

This made me smile. It reminded me of the first time I tried to drink a beer when I was 17 and almost spit it out because it was so disgusting. But I was trying so hard to fit in with the cool kids that I persevered and finally "acquired" the taste of alcohol probably several months to a year later, I don't remember how long it took. I also remember embarrassing myself a lot at those parties because I couldn't handle how much I drank!

It also reminded me of my mom, because no matter what she drinks, even the sweetest fruitiest margarita, she will always say she can taste the alcohol in it and doesn't drink it. I don't think my mom has ever even been buzzed in her entire life. Good for her!
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AlainaKayy wrote: »
    I'm up to 3 days AF for February, sounds like nothing, but I don't know the last month that I could say that.

Awesone, that's hard work for some people who likes or use to a good drop ;) . Well done!! <3
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @ehseeker Great suggestion on the seltzer. Much appreciated!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips? Cold turkey vs gradually?

@saralynnmiller - I'm beginning to think that this is very individual. Some people here have decided to go alcohol free, other people seem to be reducing the amount they drink. For me, I was dry in January, then went back to "allowing" myself to drink Fri-Sun. I believe that an extended period of no alcohol allowed me to reset my tastes/urges. But I'm not willing to give it up forever. I'm trying to stick to 14 "units" of alcohol per week, which for me is 7 glasses of wine (175ml or 6 oz. glasses) on those three days. Last weekend it was less. Super Bowl weekend it was more. I'm working on it.

Best of luck to you - this is a great, nonjudgmental group, here to be supportive and friendly.

@kittybenn I have the same goal
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips? Cold turkey vs gradually?

@saralynnmiller - I'm beginning to think that this is very individual. Some people here have decided to go alcohol free, other people seem to be reducing the amount they drink. For me, I was dry in January, then went back to "allowing" myself to drink Fri-Sun. I believe that an extended period of no alcohol allowed me to reset my tastes/urges. But I'm not willing to give it up forever. I'm trying to stick to 14 "units" of alcohol per week, which for me is 7 glasses of wine (175ml or 6 oz. glasses) on those three days. Last weekend it was less. Super Bowl weekend it was more. I'm working on it.

Best of luck to you - this is a great, nonjudgmental group, here to be supportive and friendly.

@kittybenn I have the same goal

I also have a similar goal, only one drink is 5 oz of wine (hmm, maybe I like the 6 oz idea better..jk). This part has not been too difficult. I am also trying to keep from having more than 3 drinks on any given day, which has proven to be a little bit more difficult for me. Mostly the days I have gone over have been days when it was spread out over a long day, so I did not beat myself up too much over it because I did not get "drunk". But then there was Saturday night.

In a nut shell, I am still struggling to decide what I am willing to accept as my new normal, as I believe is the case with a few others here.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @jselmi, welcome! Thanks for educating us/me about Wharf Rats. I just looked them up on Wiki. What a great thing for people who love music and want to be sober. Keep reading and contributing.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »
    I finished reading This Naked Mind and I thought it was very good, but I think it's hard to undo 16+ years of drinking just by reading one book. So now I'm going to read Alcohol Explained. Maybe if I keep pounding my brain with literature, it will keep sinking in. I think it's already working somewhat, but it's a slow process.

we have to acquire the taste of alcohol. No body likes it on first taste. I do remember when I first started drinking in HS that I went through a lot of different kind of alcoholic drinks to find something that I could stomach. Ugh!!

This made me smile. It reminded me of the first time I tried to drink a beer when I was 17 and almost spit it out because it was so disgusting. But I was trying so hard to fit in with the cool kids that I persevered and finally "acquired" the taste of alcohol probably several months to a year later, I don't remember how long it took. I also remember embarrassing myself a lot at those parties because I couldn't handle how much I drank!

It also reminded me of my mom, because no matter what she drinks, even the sweetest fruitiest margarita, she will always say she can taste the alcohol in it and doesn't drink it. I don't think my mom has ever even been buzzed in her entire life. Good for her!

Ha! Yes I love the “perservered” we drank “Boone’s” strawberry something in high school. It was so gross. I am not a cocktail person except for a good mojito or margarita. I realized gin, vodka etc taste terrible to me and I can’t stand whiskey. I guess that’s a good thing. But I do like wine. And I know the books say that alcohol doesn’t taste good and a lot doesn’t but I do like wine (just not cheap wine). Cutting back is really saving money! I’m trying to save up for a kitchen remodel so this is motivating!

Boones Farm Strawberry Hill, right? We drank that too. And Kountry Kwencher (sp?) Blech that stuff is bad....
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I've been doing this too. I read This Naked Mind, then Blackout, then The Happiest Hour, then last night I finished A Girl Walks Out of a Bar... I need a new one! Maybe I'll check out Alcohol Explained. You recommend it?