Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Well not really helping (including myself) but...
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/221438/20180220/drinking-alcohol-helps-better-than-exercise-if-you-want-to-live-past-90-years-old.htm
    Drinking alcohol helps more than exercise in allowing people to live beyond 90 years old, according to long-term research known as The 90+ Study.

I can think of a few anecdotes...
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Up to 15 days alcohol free, and I am focusing on my weight loss goals. When I drink, I eat too much and I put on weight. So cutting out the alcohol for weight loss is a huge motivator, but there are many other reasons for me to reduce/abstain. Last year, I made it 82 days without alcohol, and I regret touching it again at my birthday, because I started drinking between October and February again, and the weight came back on. Lesson learned ( I hope! )

Awesome !!! 15 days is wonderful!
    @MaryBethHempel Congrats on 49!
    I also love reading about everyone's moderation goals. This is such an inspiring thread; I know I could not have done AF Jan. And Feb. without it! Xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    AlainaKayy wrote: »
    I'm up to 3 days AF for February, sounds like nothing, but I don't know the last month that I could say that.

I remember day 3! That felt like 30! You are doing awesome! Keep it up. At Day 10, they say you make a breakthrough in the way you feel.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    jselmi wrote: »
    Hello everyone... I've been reading the posts the last week or so. Tomorrow will be 1 week AF. I stopped 2 days before (2/11), but had a planned Valentine's dinner and I enjoyed the wine. 8 of 9 days AF

I've been wanting to quit for awhile now. I like to say it's to lose weight, but I think in the back of mind I wonder... "Can I do it?!" I can easily go the work week without a drink and I can easily drink a bottle of wine while cooking dinner. Just because it's 5 o'clock somewhere and I'm cooking dinner, have some wine or playing music in the band, drink some beers or out with the guys, drink many beers.

Also, other factors that have me wanting to do this... I had a nasty spill while snow skiing a few weeks ago in Lake Tahoe. I went to my Dr. for a check up and he read me the riot act to lose weight as I had high BP. I've never had high BP or been this overweight in my life(30 lbs). I go to the Dr. regularly, the weight and high BP happened in a year. It's time to do some things to get back on track.

I'm a winemaker, so I literally have 75 cases and barrels(60 gallons)of red wines. Different years and varietals to choose from, some better than others.

Friday started off with the GF walking in....."What a stressful week!!" Walks in with a bottle of champagne in hand. That is how Fridays tended to start. Share a bottle of champagne or 2 while cooking up a gourmet meal, then pop open a nice red or 2. Saturday and Sunday usually had drinking in the evenings too....She drank the champagne and I opened some wine for her afterwards :) and she passed out (fell asleep - it WAS a TOUGH week :wink: ) on the couch. I felt great :smiley::smiley: that night and in the morning, no headache, no hangover

This was a Big test this past weekend, a 3 day weekend and going into San Francisco to see Dark Star Orchestra at the Warfield Theater with my band-mate drummer on Saturday night. I think he was a little shocked when earlier in the week, I volunteered to drive and be the DD. :smiley: . Before that, He was already trying to figure a way to get us home without driving. "Can your daughter pick us up in the City?. We'll pay her :smiley: "

My cousin (Who I haven't seen in years, probably the last time was at a Grateful Dead concert many years ago) saw on Facebook that I was attending the show. He said come by the Wharf Rat table, I'm working it, look for the yellow balloons. We hug it out when we find each other, catch up with each other, etc. Soooo, I ask what's the Wharf Rat thing...... (drum roll) It's all about enjoying concerts CLEAN and SOBER. He has 13 years of sobriety.. The stars couldn't have aligned much better. By the way, since weed is now legal in California, the smoke was SOOO thick, you could cut it with a knife and the contact high was inevitable.

As the Wharf Rat folks say....... One Show At A Time :)

Thank you all for being here.

Loved reading your post! Great narrative! Sounds like you are determined to get back to your healthy self again. Never heard of a Wharf Rat table. Will look it up. I agree the stars were aligned and you got some great motivation and encouragement from your cousin. Xo
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Doing good MFP! Work stress was bad today but no drink for this guy....the building I live in has a wine social event tomorrow from 6 to 7....I plan to go in there with a printout of this thread and start reading it out loud until they call the cops.....watch the news tomorrow at 8

:D
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    And if you do listen to Mary Gauthier’s haunting song, here are her thoughts about having to be sober in order to write it. http://www.marygauthier.com/news/behind-the-song-i-drink
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    Habits are hard to break. During weekdays I used to come home and have a g&t with hubby and then wine. Now, in that fateful period between coming home and dinner ( around 2 hours) I ask him to make me a strong cappuccino with his beloved Expresso machine. I sit and talk to him and then go and take a long bath. This breaks the "must have a drink" cycle, and then makes him have to consider if he wants a drink without me..... I am keeping a diary about what triggers me to drink and when I can leave it alone. Home alone I find it MUCH easier to resist temptation. There is often half a bottle in the fridge during the week where husband has indulged. I look at it, think about it, have a glass of water, distract myself and then don't get tempted. It is a struggle and scary how easy it is to slip back into old ways! Both at home tonight so will be a challenge.

Hey, that's an excellent idea!!!,.. and you are doing great. Please keep sharing your experiences.

Ive been stuggling alot this evening. Things are changing in our family and have a bit of anxiety etc. The amount off times i had to turn myself away. Funniest thing was I remembered the pic i posted each time :D I had to laughed to myself. That helped alot.

But i say your idea is tops, the next thing would be to sit down and work out strategies to over come the triggers.. :|

• missanne11
    missanne11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found when I would overindulge my appetite actually is not the same. But I feel it made me drunk quicker and feeling much more awful afterwards! Not worth it. I'm so glad to b able to express my thoughts on this. Sure nice to know I'm not the only one going thru struggles. On my 11th day AF! Can't believe how much better I feel. I'm not saying I won't ever drink again. Just feel this helping me b much more aware. My plan is Friday and Saturdays only when hubby's home which is twice a month...
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    And if you do listen to Mary Gauthier’s haunting song, here are her thoughts about having to be sober in order to write it. http://www.marygauthier.com/news/behind-the-song-i-drink

Very haunting and moving! thanks for sharing! We are capable of achieving any goals we have. I continue to learn this, and this song reinforces it. xo