Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    LOL, no, that was the total alcohol I consumed. ;)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    LOL, no, that was the total alcohol I consumed. ;)

Well consider yourself successful.

I normally would have 2-3 binge days every weekend. Last month I slipped and had one binge the entire month.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @dbanks80...I'm sure you can do it!
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A new month! My goal is to have only a few drinks once per week or less. I feel much better drinking way less but my husband has no plans to cut down on his drinking. Which is his decision, I'm not going to pressure him to change just because I want to (He's gotten in trouble with drinking in the past so you'd think he'd want to change but whatever).

My problem is that I feel like drinking was the last thing I had in common with him. He still pressures me to drink as much as he does but I say no. It's frustrating. Anyone else have a significant other who does not plan on drinking less and how are you handling it?
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    @BuffMom84 I don't think my husband will be cutting back either... and that's pretty much our weekend activity... I'll let you know how it goes!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I agree with whoever said it probably differs with each person. But I think you can certainly wean yourself from sugar slowly. I don't believe it is smart to go cold turkey since you are already trying to cut back/get off alcohol. We have to have SOME reward for Heaven's sake! Life must be enjoyed IMHO.

For sure, my husband having candy didn't concern me in the least. I knew he would be able to cut it out much easier than cutting out booze...stopping nearly killed him twice...it was a rough 8 years so sweets were certainly something I was happy to make sure he had.

• dbanks80
    edited February 2018
    Options
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    A new month! My goal is to have only a few drinks once per week or less. I feel much better drinking way less but my husband has no plans to cut down on his drinking. Which is his decision, I'm not going to pressure him to change just because I want to (He's gotten in trouble with drinking in the past so you'd think he'd want to change but whatever).

My problem is that I feel like drinking was the last thing I had in common with him. He still pressures me to drink as much as he does but I say no. It's frustrating. Anyone else have a significant other who does not plan on drinking less and how are you handling it?

Funny I just posted on this. Keep doing what you are doing eventually he will come around. My husband was never a drinker until he met me. He still is only a social drinker. But since I've been working on myself he is starting to feel like he should cut back.

So you stay strong. He will see your progress and it will rub off on him.

Oh don't sweat the pressure. My husband use to say "You need to get that stick out of your A" I was like "Whatever!!! You are a alcohol bully!! I am not going to cave!!" LOL!!!!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Sometimes, when I am debating whether or not to have a few drinks, I see it as essentially a debate over whether I would rather feel good now (by having a few drinks) or feel good tomorrow (by not drinking). It's like a trade-off. Drinking steals your happiness from tomorrow.

Of course I know that's not exactly how it works, but sometimes it just feels like that :smile:

This was recently posted on my feed by an MFP pal. I thought it was very relevant to this group and asked him if it was okay to share:

“The Tomorrow Man theory. It’s pretty basic. Today, right here, you are who you are. Tomorrow, you will be who you will be. Each and every night, we lie down to die, and each morning we arise, reborn. Now, those who are in good spirits, with strong mental health, they look out for their Tomorrow Man. They eat right today, they drink right today, they go to sleep early today–all so that Tomorrow Man, when he awakes in his bed reborn as Today Man, thanks Yesterday Man. He looks upon him fondly as a child might a good parent. He knows that someone–himself–was looking out for him. He feels cared for, and respected. Loved, in a word. And now he has a legacy to pass on to his subsequent selves…. But those who are in a bad way, with poor mental health, they constantly leave these messes for Tomorrow Man to clean up. They eat whatever the hell they want, drink like the night will never end, and then fall asleep to forget. They don’t respect Tomorrow Man because they don’t think through the fact that Tomorrow Man will be them. So then they wake up, new Today Man, groaning at the disrespect Yesterday Man showed them. Wondering why does that guy–myself–keep punishing me? But they never learn and instead come to settle for that behavior, eventually learning to ask and expect nothing of themselves. They pass along these same bad habits tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, and it becomes psychologically genetic, like a curse. Looking at you now, Maven, I can see exactly where you fall on this spectrum. You are a man constantly trying to fix today what Yesterday Man did to you. You make up your bed, you clean those dirty dishes from the night before, and pledge not to start drinking until six, thinking that’s the way to keep an even keel. But in reality you’re always playing catch-up. I know this because I’ve been there. The thing is–you can’t fix the mistakes of Yesterday. Yesterday Man is dead, he’s gone forever, and blame and atonement aren’t worth a damn. What you can do is help yourself today. Eat a vegetable. Read a book. Cut that hair of yours. Leave Tomorrow Man something more than a headache and a jam-packed colon. Do for Tomorrow Man what you would have wanted Yesterday Man to do for you.”

Chuck Hogan

This is great!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • kimykimy22
    kimykimy22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @salleewins - I'm with you on this: "I can't keep bags of chocolate in the house or alcohol...." I think I'm replacing alcohol with chocolate, so that's something I'm going to need to work on, LOL. Love the french vanilla tea and other drink recommendations, so thank you. Some of the teas I've been trying are a bit too sour for me, like the Tazo Wild Sweet Orange. Keep looking for cinnamon-y and citrus-y, without a lot of bitterness.

Good Earth Sweet & Spicy is my favorite cinnamon/orange flavor!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Starbucks bought Teavana and is closing all of the stores. This weekend everything was 75% off. I got a pound each of Caramel Ameretti herbal tea, Maharaja Chai Oolong and another kind of oolong for $10 each (that's a ton of tea)! I also got two steeper pots for $6 each. If you have a Teavana in a mall near you, it's definitely worth the trip.