Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How to Find Your Maintenance Calorie Level

124»

Replies

• DX2JX2DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921Member Member Posts: 1,921Member Member
    envscuba wrote: »
    So if I wanted to cut back to 10 miles per day at my the middle of my target weight range of 150 to 164 I'd need to be eating 1900 calories per day, BMR = 1427, plus 10*157*.3?

Yes. At 157 pounds, you'd burn something in the neighborhood of 50 calories per mile walked. That said, 3-4 hours of walking per day is bonkers. I can't see how that is sustainable.

You've got to learn to manage your calories by diet. As it stands now, one injury and all of that weight will come back on.
  • WendyannerobertsWendyanneroberts Posts: 206Member Member Posts: 206Member Member
    Thought I had read a lot of/most of the stickies, along with following threads, where this is discussed. But glad this was bumped today, as it was just what I needed. Clear and concise, just to refresh what I have learnt from these forums over the years. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
  • envscubaenvscuba Posts: 14Member, Premium Member Posts: 14Member, Premium Member
    Thanks for all the advise I think I have what I need now, and the numbers make a little more sense. I was worried that the hypothyroidism was having a big affect on the weight loss but it turns out it is not. I'll be keeping up the 14 mile a day routine until a planned hiking trip in July as part of the training for the hike and then dropping my mileage after that. The eating is the hard part I just hope the days of feeling like I'm a bottomless pit that cannot be filled are over once I get a good balance/maintenance level figured out.
  • CoachJen71CoachJen71 Posts: 1,201Member Member Posts: 1,201Member Member
    @envscuba High cardio triggers the overwhelming urge to eat. "Hiker hunger." I am fighting that battle alongside of you!
  • CarvedTonesCarvedTones Posts: 2,340Member Member Posts: 2,340Member Member
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    @envscuba High cardio triggers the overwhelming urge to eat. "Hiker hunger." I am fighting that battle alongside of you!

My obsession with SUP paddling has been a double edged sword. I can get a big calorie burn in 2 or 3 hours of something I enjoy doing and at the pace I am going, it's cardio. But man am I hungry when I finish! And not just for a little while after; pretty much until I go to sleep.
  • envscubaenvscuba Posts: 14Member, Premium Member Posts: 14Member, Premium Member
    My is usually the worst sitting at work (desk job). I found that snacking on fruit and veggies throughout the day is a low cal way of satisfying most of it.
  • cbihattcbihatt Posts: 234Member Member Posts: 234Member Member
    I am about to go on a diet break and had no idea what I should use for maintenance calories other than a vague notion of using “past data.” So, thank you for this. I am bumping it up for others who may need it too (and saving it for later when I finally reach true maintenance).