Eating healthy but cant get rid of my bloating

Hey people i need help on this please as its getting me down.

I was in quite an active job 3 months ago and now at a less active job but i still fit in my walking/jogging at least 3 if not 4x a week. I eat healthy and drink 1/2 litres of water a day. Ive also tried to cut down on artificial sweeteners(w/o) aspartame, now down to 1tsp rather than 2. I started trying stevia but i broke out in spots! Lol.

Im at my wits end i dont know what is causing it or what else i can do. Helllppp

Replies

• opalastrophel
    opalastrophel Posts: 12 Member
    How long have you been eating this way? When I switched to a low sugar, high fibre diet, I felt bloated a lot while (I can only assume) my gut bacteria adjusted and recomposed.

If you've been losing fat, it becomes more obvious when you're bloated, too.
  • Funnily enough i actually take 2 probiotic tablets daily!
  • How long have you been eating this way? When I switched to a low sugar, high fibre diet, I felt bloated a lot while (I can only assume) my gut bacteria adjusted and recomposed.

To be honest ive been eating healthy for 4 years now. But 3 months ago it changed alot as i moved country not going to the gym but doing my cardio and have cut down on sugar about 2 weeks could that be it? My gut bacteria adjusting?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Are you getting enough fats in your diet, alongside the healthy fiber? You want to be getting at least 0.35-0.45g of fat daily per pound of a healthy goal weight, so as to properly absorb the fat-soluble vitamins, promote smooth digestive transit, and build healthy cells and nerves.

It's good to get a fair proportion of the fat from sources like olive oil, nuts, avocados, seeds, etc. Sometimes people get their fat consumption too low because of old myths about fat being totally bad, or in an attempt to reduce calories . . . but a certain amount is essential.

If the problem could be water weight, another thing to watch is salt/sodium, especially if that's increased lately.

Daily activity level can make a difference too - definitely has an effect on calorie levels.

Hope you can sort it out soon! :)
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    How about sodium?
  • AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Are you getting enough fats in your diet, alongside the healthy fiber? You want to be getting at least 0.35-0.45g of fat daily per pound of a healthy goal weight, so as to properly absorb the fat-soluble vitamins, promote smooth digestive transit, and build healthy cells and nerves.

It's good to get a fair proportion of the fat from sources like olive oil, nuts, avocados, seeds, etc. Sometimes people get their fat consumption too low because of old myths about fat being totally bad, or in an attempt to reduce calories . . . but a certain amount is essential.

If the problem could be water weight, another thing to watch is salt/sodium, especially if that's increased lately.

Daily activity level can make a difference too - definitely has an effect on calorie levels.

Hope you can sort it out soon! :)

You are probabaly right, i dont think im getting enough fats in. In regards to sodium im trying to cut that down as i am a salt addict. Trying very hard, but if it was water retention would i still be peeing as much as i do ? I go to the toilet alot!

Thanks
  • How about sodium?

Have been cutting that down too..ive tried by adding pepper into my food which has helped me get my mind off salt and it actually works lol
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,842 Member
    Sounds more like not drinking enough, not enough sodium, not enough fats.
  • Look up FODMAPS - you might have a bit of an intolerance to something which is causing the bloating. I never realised I had intolerances until I got lean enough to realise that my belly was getting hard and distended after eating certain foods

I had a look at the FODMAP but most of the things on there is like normal basic foods i eat ..eek..will be difficult lol. What were you intolerant too if you dont mind me asking?
  • yirara wrote: »

I drink around a litre a day and i pee so much lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    yirara wrote: »

in the OP you said 1/2 litre, thats not much at all?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    Even 1 litre isn't much. In the old "8 glasses of water a day" scale, 1 litre is 4 glasses.
  • yirara wrote: »

in the OP you said 1/2 litre, thats not much at all?

Haha sorry i meant one to two litres. But at the mo ive drank 2 litres.
  • Machka9 wrote: »
    Even 1 litre isn't much. In the old "8 glasses of water a day" scale, 1 litre is 4 glasses.

True didnt think of that.. trying to drink more
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Maybe its too maby carbs? Im a carbaholic..

possibly if eating a lot of carbs means you't not getting enough fat and fibre. and yes, try and drink more, see if that helps.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    How long have you been eating this way? When I switched to a low sugar, high fibre diet, I felt bloated a lot while (I can only assume) my gut bacteria adjusted and recomposed.

To be honest ive been eating healthy for 4 years now. But 3 months ago it changed alot as i moved country not going to the gym but doing my cardio and have cut down on sugar about 2 weeks could that be it? My gut bacteria adjusting?

Did the problems start 3 months ago? When you moved? Because different country = differnt foods even if it looks the same. The biochemical make up of plantfoods is determined by the soil composition of the place where it's grown.

It could be that there's something in the food supply that you're not adjusting to well.

If you're drinking tap water, it can also be something in the piping/water supply that people who have been there for a while have adjusted to.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    If this bloating is persistent you need to see a doctor as there could be something underlying. It's likely that because you're not as active as you were that might contribute, or something you are eating is not agreeing with you.