Eating healthy but cant get rid of my bloating

Options
2»

Replies

• opalastrophel
    opalastrophel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating this way? When I switched to a low sugar, high fibre diet, I felt bloated a lot while (I can only assume) my gut bacteria adjusted and recomposed.

If you've been losing fat, it becomes more obvious when you're bloated, too.

To be honest ive been eating healthy for 4 years now. But 3 months ago it changed alot as i moved country not going to the gym but doing my cardio and have cut down on sugar about 2 weeks could that be it? My gut bacteria adjusting?

It could be - could definitely be any of the above, too, the carbs/an illness/not enough water/new food/the tap water/a food sensitivity/especially if you moved. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    Could be lots of things . . . but I'd suggest trying that good fat consumption level while you're mulling it over - if that's gonna work, it should do so within a few days of getting the right fat level, a week at the outside. And regardless of whether it helps the bloating, it's a healthier way to eat overall. :)
  • randomlyred
    randomlyred Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Look up FODMAPS - you might have a bit of an intolerance to something which is causing the bloating. I never realised I had intolerances until I got lean enough to realise that my belly was getting hard and distended after eating certain foods

I had a look at the FODMAP but most of the things on there is like normal basic foods i eat ..eek..will be difficult lol. What were you intolerant too if you dont mind me asking?

For me it's cauliflower, cabbage and beans and excessive lactose. You only have to exclude the whole list for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce food as challenges to see what's up. There's plenty of books / apps to help too.

Not sure why I'm being wooed, this is really standard practice in Australia. Developed by Monash University researchers and studied by dietitians.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Look up FODMAPS - you might have a bit of an intolerance to something which is causing the bloating. I never realised I had intolerances until I got lean enough to realise that my belly was getting hard and distended after eating certain foods

I had a look at the FODMAP but most of the things on there is like normal basic foods i eat ..eek..will be difficult lol. What were you intolerant too if you dont mind me asking?

For me it's cauliflower, cabbage and beans and excessive lactose. You only have to exclude the whole list for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce food as challenges to see what's up. There's plenty of books / apps to help too.

Not sure why I'm being wooed, this is really standard practice in Australia. Developed by Monash University researchers and studied by dietitians.

I agree with you (from here in the US) that elimination diets of various sorts are a mainstream way of identifying food sensitivities, as are food diaries for that matter.

I didn't "woo" you, but it's possible some are thinking it's sensible to rule out very common causes (insufficient fat, water, etc.) before statistically less common ones like food sensitivities . . . perhaps especially in an environment where it seems to be trendy to claim sensitivities. It's sad that that perceived trendiness factor leads some people to doubt those of you who do have actual sensitivities. :(
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating this way? When I switched to a low sugar, high fibre diet, I felt bloated a lot while (I can only assume) my gut bacteria adjusted and recomposed.

If you've been losing fat, it becomes more obvious when you're bloated, too.

To be honest ive been eating healthy for 4 years now. But 3 months ago it changed alot as i moved country not going to the gym but doing my cardio and have cut down on sugar about 2 weeks could that be it? My gut bacteria adjusting?

It could be - could definitely be any of the above, too, the carbs/an illness/not enough water/new food/the tap water/a food sensitivity/especially if you moved. Good luck!

It could also be things like constipation, gastroparesis, hi infections, etc.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    ggirgis44 wrote: »
    I spent a good number of years with a very bloated belly. I would frequently get asked if I were pregnant. When I cut out all grain products, I had the flattest tummy of my life! To this day, when I eat any bread products, I bloat like a balloon. I always joke that a maternity magazine should hire me. I'd always be ready for a shoot -- just eat a sandwich the day before the shoot. LOL.

Also, sugar bloats. You mentioned being a carboholic. Try this for 7 days: no grains, no added sugars (have sugars from fruits and veggies only). Basically a paleo diet. Your best bet is trial and error!

So have you quit grains completely? How is your diet lets say in one day..what do you eat? Lol i feel like i could do a maternity shoot too haha
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Do the locals drink the tap water? I would try drinking bottled water few weeks and see if this cures the problem. You want to eliminate that possibilty right away. Be careful with washing your produce-- make sure you do that in bottled water. In 3 months you should have acclimated to the water if it is ok. However I'm in the USA and you couldn't pay me to drink unfiltered tap water in my city. (And I'm not in Detroit either) some water is not clean enough to drink or bathe in.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    Do the locals drink the tap water? I would try drinking bottled water few weeks and see if this cures the problem. You want to eliminate that possibilty right away. Be careful with washing your produce-- make sure you do that in bottled water. In 3 months you should have acclimated to the water if it is ok. However I'm in the USA and you couldn't pay me to drink unfiltered tap water in my city. (And I'm not in Detroit either) some water is not clean enough to drink or bathe in.

well its not exactly sewer water lol but i yes i get where you are coming from. I dont drink the tap water to be honest as it tastes so chemically so ive always had filtered or bottled water.
  • trinique44
    trinique44 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're probably lactose intolerant. Are you having dairy? This is how I found out I was lactose. I was bloated all the time. So I cut out most dairy and now use Almond Milk. Bloat is mostly gone except last night I wanted some Greek Yogurt with my blueberries so bad that I just had to have it lol. Today I'm bloated :p
  • lucerorojo
    Options

well its not exactly sewer water lol but i yes i get where you are coming from. I dont drink the tap water to be honest as it tastes so chemically so ive always had filtered or bottled water.

So you can rule out the water...
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    trinique44 wrote: »
    You're probably lactose intolerant. Are you having dairy? This is how I found out I was lactose. I was bloated all the time. So I cut out most dairy and now use Almond Milk. Bloat is mostly gone except last night I wanted some Greek Yogurt with my blueberries so bad that I just had to have it lol. Today I'm bloated :p

You know what i think i am! Ive been drinking coconut milk and feel a lot flatter than i was. I had a piece of cheese yesterday and my belly ballooned lol.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Omgosh I had horrible bloating and gas for months and couldn’t work out what it was. Turns out it was the probiotics I was taking!
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Omgosh I had horrible bloating and gas for months and couldn’t work out what it was. Turns out it was the probiotics I was taking!

Really??? I found probiotics have helped me massively with gas lol
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Oh. Good. Lord.

Detroit's tap water is fine. I've drunk it, and would drink it freely now. Detroit has 99 (+) problems, and the water ain't one.

Those unfortunate people in Flint were also fine when they were on Detroit municipal water, until they converted to undertreated Flint river water. "Undertreated" is the key word.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

"Probiotics" are not just one thing. They can be a lot of different things. And any of those things can affect different people differently. Furthermore, ramping up probiotics (beneficial gut bugs) and prebiotics (the things beneficial gut bugs like to eat) can cause gassiness, i.e., bloating, at first. Increase gradually, allow time to adapt. If you're still gassy/bloated after a couple of weeks, back off or try a different formulation.

Consider probiotic time-tested traditional foods (yogurt, kefir, raw sauerkraut or kimchi, kombucha, miso etc.) if supplements give you trouble.
  • lucerorojo
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oh. Good. Lord.

Detroit's tap water is fine. I've drunk it, and would drink it freely now. Detroit has 99 (+) problems, and the water ain't one.

Those unfortunate people in Flint were also fine when they were on Detroit municipal water, until they converted to undertreated Flint river water. "Undertreated" is the key word.

I meant Flint, actually. I should have just put MI. The tap water in my city is not potable so my point was not to put down Detroit or MI but to clarify that the water is a problem elsewhere in the USA.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options

I know, guess I just didn't react well to them.